Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Extending keyless entry range

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extending keyless entry range

Is there a specific wire dedicated as an antenna for the keyless entry,

if so has anyone tried to extend the range by adding a length of wire attaching it to the chasis of the car or just taking a surface mount antenna
like from DEI for an alarm and attaching it. I dont like the range

(I have already changed the batteries, checked the voltage on the fob and battery, reset the sytem and used diffrent remote so those are all exhausted)
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

i dont know about that but I do know of a trick. point the end of the fod up and touching the soft part under your chin right below your mouth. open your mouth and face towards the car. This will amplify the signal a little bit and give you a little better range. but you will look like an idiot doing it lol. I've actually tried it and it gave me a few extra feet
Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Launching!

LOL Ill walk five more feet and not looked retarded.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
i dont know about that but I do know of a trick. point the end of the fod up and touching the soft part under your chin right below your mouth. open your mouth and face towards the car. This will amplify the signal a little bit and give you a little better range. but you will look like an idiot doing it lol. I've actually tried it and it gave me a few extra feet
I have been doing that for years, had to stop because I started smelling burning feathers, and had an aweful taste of metal in my mouth.

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
LOL Ill walk five more feet and not looked retarded.
Thanks man, laughing my *** off
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Launching!

TTT
Nobody knows?...............
Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The antenna is internal to the BCM so there is no wire that can be extended.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's just the way our key fobs are, either deal with it or get a Ford who has about a 200 yard range lol. I don't see why everyone wants thier doors opened...faster and farther away from thier car, u don't need the door unlocked till ur opening ur door. If I wasn't scared of scratching my car with my key I'd unlock my car that way cuz it's less in ur pockets w/o the fob.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant extend the factory range... the chin trick does work but does make you look gay... if you want more range i suggest you look into buying a 2way unit from a company like viper which is sold at places like best buy... you could also add remote start , ake the aux your trunk pop and much more. I have considered loosing my trunk pop and getting electric cutouts and being able to remote start my car then open the cutouts... but as far as range you will need a new unit, touch it to tour chin or deal with it
Old 07-30-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

get a DEI with transponder technology
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
it's just the way our key fobs are, either deal with it or get a Ford who has about a 200 yard range lol. I don't see why everyone wants thier doors opened...faster and farther away from thier car, u don't need the door unlocked till ur opening ur door. If I wasn't scared of scratching my car with my key I'd unlock my car that way cuz it's less in ur pockets w/o the fob.
Welllllllllllllllllllllllll, I am in the process of doing a mod to have a express window roll down feature that will work off the keyless. after working for 9-10 hours the interior is pretty hot. so i want to roll them down before i get to the car and let the heat start to escape.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by o2WS6_TA
you cant extend the factory range... the chin trick does work but does make you look gay... if you want more range i suggest you look into buying a 2way unit from a company like viper which is sold at places like best buy... you could also add remote start , ake the aux your trunk pop and much more. I have considered loosing my trunk pop and getting electric cutouts and being able to remote start my car then open the cutouts... but as far as range you will need a new unit, touch it to tour chin or deal with it
I'm pretty sure those things can be programmed to do like 6 functions even though they only have 4 buttons. My buddy had a Clifford on his wifes van that unlocked/locked, panic'd, slid open the power sliding doors, remote started, and popped the trunk. So I don't think you'd have to give that up.