Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XTANT 1001 amps, I have a question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTANT 1001 amps, I have a question?

I have the stock monsoon in my 00 black Camaro SS. I'm going to put 2 12" kicker L7's. Do I need one more two amps and also, how much does one sub weigh approx?
Old 01-05-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: XTANT 1001 amps, I have a question?

You will need two amplifiers for your system if you plan on going with 2 12" L7's. one two or mono channel amp, approx. 250-1000 Watts total RMS for the subwoofers,(Your 1001 amp is perfect for this, purchase the dual 2-Ohm voice coil variety of 12 L7, and wire the speakers voice coils in series for an impedance of 4 ohms, then wire the speakers in paralell, to make the amp "see" a total impedance of 2 Ohms for 1000 watts to the pair) and another amp, a 4-channel approx. 50-100 Watts RMS per channel for your mids and highs. you will need the additional amp on the mids and highs because the bass will overpower the stock mids and highs. Also you might want to replace those stock speakers as well, although I think there is an adapter that will allow you to use an aftermarket amplifier with the stock speakers. I think this subject has been beaten to death in another thread. I'm sure if you do some browsing on other threads here you should find out exactly what you will need to set it all up.
here's kicker's .pdf file on L7 Woofers, this will tell you all you want to know about the L7's

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals...ManualV2_0.pdf