Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius and monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius and monsoon system

I need some help picking out a sirius system for my 98 z28. I plan on sticking with my stock cdplayer monsoon system. What sirius setup should i get? Do I go with an fm modulator or is there a way to use the aux from the stock radio? Any suggestions would help greatly as I am new to all of this.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

nope no stock radio solutione you can get either a starmate R sportster R sportster 4 or S50 is top of the line able to record and sync to a computer to download songs and you can use it as an mp3 player but it is pricey at about $200 with a rebate and definatley get an fm modulator with an antenna adapter and a rev. ant adapter it should sound good i personally have an S50 and love it.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What stock headunit do you have (CD or Cassette)?
If its a Cassette headunit you can use a GM9-AUX to convert the CD-Changer port to RCA AUX-IN. If its a CD Headunit, you need a mid-1999 or later headunit since the 1998-mid1999 headunits could not control the stock CD-Changer. The only way to tell if a mid99 CD headunit can control a CD-Changer is if you open it up. Because of that, I'd say stick with a 2000 or later unit. If you do decide to swap out to a later headunit, I'd recomment a 2001-2002 unit because supposedly they can handle the stock CD-Changer AND an AUX-IN, otherwise using the GM9-AUX, you'd lose the use of the CD-Changer. But i cant confirm this since I dont have the stock CD-Changer.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

its the cd player. I was afraid of that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
If its a Cassette headunit you can use a GM9-AUX to convert the CD-Changer port to RCA AUX-IN. If its a CD Headunit, you need a mid-1999 or later headunit since the 1998-mid1999 headunits could not control the stock CD-Changer. The only way to tell if a mid99 CD headunit can control a CD-Changer is if you open it up. Because of that, I'd say stick with a 2000 or later unit. If you do decide to swap out to a later headunit, I'd recomment a 2001-2002 unit because supposedly they can handle the stock CD-Changer AND an AUX-IN, otherwise using the GM9-AUX, you'd lose the use of the CD-Changer. But i cant confirm this since I dont have the stock CD-Changer.

Whats the point of having the aux button on a pre99 radio if it doesnt control the cd changer?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang_52
Whats the point of having the aux button on a pre99 radio if it doesnt control the cd changer?
The "Monsoon" head unit is just an ordinary Delco radio like those used in many other GM models (the amp and speakers make it a Monsoon system). Prior to 2000, the AUX button on CD head units was for an external cassette player that was available in other GM models but was never offered in F-bodies. The idea was that you could have both tape and CD by either getting a cassette head unit and CD changer or by getting a CD head unit and external cassette player. When demand for tape players diminished, GM updated the CD head units to be able to control a changer.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

do you guys know of any places to pick up a used cheap unit? I see they want alot for these things and its almost pointless to go that route when i can just get another hu thats better.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

do you guys know of any places to pick up a used cheap unit? I see they want alot for these things and its almost pointless to go that route when i can just get another hu thats better.
Here is one for sale:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/567351-fs-monsoon-cd-player-out-2002-ta.html
Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Teching In

cool, thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
I was wondering if this would work. What if I took my faceplate from a 98 monsoon and attached it to a 2000 or newer headunit. would this allow me the aux control or does the faceplace have some of those controls on itself. I know the unit works in general cause i tried it but i need the aux control. is htere a way to test it without having a cd controller hooked up?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I was wondering if this would work. What if I took my faceplate from a 98 monsoon and attached it to a 2000 or newer headunit. would this allow me the aux control or does the faceplace have some of those controls on itself. I know the unit works in general cause i tried it but i need the aux control. is htere a way to test it without having a cd controller hooked up?
I have never heard of a 2000 or newer Monsoon head unit that doesn't have the AUX button so why would you need to change the face plate? Besides, you couldn't put on a faceplate that has different buttons and still expect those buttons to work - they wouldn't have any connection.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

lemme explain a little better. I have a 98 monsoon that supposedily does not have the aux controls. what if i take a 2000 or newer monsoon and combine my 98 faceplate, which unplugs and has a circuit board built into it and plug that into a 2000 unit which is missing the front part. So in the end i have a 2000 monsoon with a 98 monsoon front section. will that still retain the aux controls needed to use sirius.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You have a 2000 Monsoon head unit with a missing face plate? So you need to put a faceplate on and want to know if your 98 faceplate will affect the compatibility with a CD changer (or aux adapter)?

I would have to say no, it won't affect the compatibility. The circuit board in the head unit that has the changer controls is on the CD drive itself - not on the front.