Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cig/ACCY Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig/ACCY Fuse Keeps Blowing

I've plugged in two replacement 25amp fuses just to be sure, and the instant they contact the metal at plug-in, both of them blew. I know I've probably got a short somewhere, but was wondering if anyone had this same problem before so that I'll have a better idea when to start. I'm not sure how long this fuse has been blown, because I haven't used the cigarette lighter in over 2 years....the only thing that I've done involving the electrical system is replace the driver's side power window motor, so could a wire/harness in that area possibly be the culprit? I think this might be my 'slow drain' cause also.....help!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

The CIG ACCY fuse powers four items - the cigarette lighter, the auxiliary power port, the DLC (diagnostic) port under the dash, and the BATT port in the fuse panel (used to add aftermarket accessories). All are connected with an orange wire running from the fuse panel through the main cross-car harness behind the dash to a splice located about seven inches from the radio antenna. I've had this fuse blow because I inserted a cigarette lighter I bought from WalMart rather than a factory one. Pull the lighter out of the socket and see if the fuse still blows. Other than that, there's really nothing you can do except start tracing the orange wires looking for where the insulation is bare and it's grounding against something.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with your window motor replacement unless you went into the dash while doing it (the circuit doesn't go into the door). Also, it wouldn't be the cause of a slow drain because no current flows with the fuse blown.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Restricted User

yep, pull your cig lighter and make sure nothing is in the outlet shorting across.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

theres a penny inside the lighter if not pick up a new one at autozone for 5 bucks
Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaro
theres a penny inside the lighter if not pick up a new one at autozone for 5 bucks
Pick up a penny at AutoZone for 5 bucks? Remind me not to shop there again!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Default Fixed!

Thanks guys, it turns out it was the new cigarette lighter that I bought to replace the stock one that was lost. Threw it away, plugged in a new fuse, done deal. Thanks for the help and speedy responses.

Quick Reply: Cig/ACCY Fuse Keeps Blowing