Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird stereo/windows problem (don't think it's the bcm)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
I have a 1997 camaro convertible 3.8 V6 and it has the same problem where you have to hit by the radio to get it to work. Since this thread is from 2006 and this is now 2011, what are my best options if I want to swap the bcm? Thank You
Best option is to just re-solder the connections on the BCM you have and put it back in. It doesn't usually have to be replaced, a little solder and a regular soldering iron can have it fixed in a few minutes. I just heated up that points that are there and added a little bit to them. Fixed it perfectly.
There is a thread floating around that has a picture of the solder points. I have it somewhere to, I will see if I can find it later. It is on here somewhere though.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Alright I'm getting pissed... This has been going on for a few months now. It started with the Radio/Windows cutting out randomly. But if I gave the dash a light smack above the radio is would work again. Now last week another little goof has started. My interior lights don't come on if I open my drivers door and the Accessory power stays on like I didn't close the door. So I took apart the BCM yesterday and It looked perfect! No burn marks on the board or anything. So now I'm stumped! Anyone have any Ideas?

Did this all start when the weather got warm? If so, its probably cracked solder joints. See Kee's post for the fix.

We're all headed towards this issue sooner or later. I just had to fix the same type of problem on my radio display. PITA to get to but an easy fix.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Best option is to just re-solder the connections on the BCM you have and put it back in. It doesn't usually have to be replaced, a little solder and a regular soldering iron can have it fixed in a few minutes. I just heated up that points that are there and added a little bit to them. Fixed it perfectly.
There is a thread floating around that has a picture of the solder points. I have it somewhere to, I will see if I can find it later. It is on here somewhere though.
I had to do this to mine about a year ago, look for a solder's that look like a cross or a T those are the solder's you need to re-solder.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did this all start when the weather got warm? If so, its probably cracked solder joints. See Kee's post for the fix.

We're all headed towards this issue sooner or later. I just had to fix the same type of problem on my radio display. PITA to get to but an easy fix.
Ya it was on one of the really hot chicago days a few weeks ago...
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a crack in the circuit board of the BCM, if you flexed the board you could see it open up, otherwise it looked perfect.

Easy way to check, is open up the bcm, but have it plugged in. With your radio, etc on, flex the board and see if the radio powers off. Thats how I found my issue.

Then I just soldered a jumper wire from one solder point, to the next down line.

Repaired!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help!!!! Just threw a dab of solder on all the T joints and BAM it has been a week and so far so good!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and it was the BCM, you can't really tell by looking at it, its not going to look burnt or broken.