Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird stereo/windows problem (don't think it's the bcm)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Weird stereo/windows problem (don't think it's the bcm)

Alright I'm getting pissed... This has been going on for a few months now. It started with the Radio/Windows cutting out randomly. But if I gave the dash a light smack above the radio is would work again. Now last week another little goof has started. My interior lights don't come on if I open my drivers door and the Accessory power stays on like I didn't close the door. So I took apart the BCM yesterday and It looked perfect! No burn marks on the board or anything. So now I'm stumped! Anyone have any Ideas?
Old 09-08-2006 | 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

hey man i'm having a problem two with my driver window...it will roll down but to roll it up i have to play with it..it will go up an inch and than stop and have to keep hitting..is the motor bad or just a short in it? i called gm the motor is about $160..any suggestions???
Old 09-08-2006 | 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Its the RAP system (module or whatever you call it that gives you the ablility to listen to the radio and roll up the windows when you have the car off for 10 minutes (Retained Accessories) . A lot of people are having a problem with this, but I havent seen any way to fix it, besides maybe replacing the RAP system, if thats possible? Mine has been acting up for a month now, off and on, usually when its hot outside. Now I put a new Headunit in and its worse...Hopefully someone will solve this dilema. Its really embarrasing when your bumpin your **** and all of a sudden the radio just shuts off. Ha

-Philip
Old 09-08-2006 | 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

yah no kidding dude..i ended up rewiring my whole system so didn't have to worry about that.
Old 09-08-2006 | 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001SSBOY
hey man i'm having a problem two with my driver window...it will roll down but to roll it up i have to play with it..it will go up an inch and than stop and have to keep hitting..is the motor bad or just a short in it? i called gm the motor is about $160..any suggestions???
Your window motor is toast. I think autozone has lifetime warranty window motors. You can find plenty of info just search
Old 09-08-2006 | 01:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Alright I'm getting pissed... This has been going on for a few months now. It started with the Radio/Windows cutting out randomly. But if I gave the dash a light smack above the radio is would work again. Now last week another little goof has started. My interior lights don't come on if I open my drivers door and the Accessory power stays on like I didn't close the door. So I took apart the BCM yesterday and It looked perfect! No burn marks on the board or anything. So now I'm stumped! Anyone have any Ideas?
Just because the BCM doesn't look physically damaged doesn't mean it's not the problem. Each of your symptoms can be caused by other problems but taken together they indicate that the BCM is the most likely source of the problem. The only other thing that they could have in common is the door latch switch. If it is shorting out then it could be causing the BCM to mistakenly turn the RAP on and off.
Old 09-08-2006 | 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

yah buy anything from gm and you get ripped..i'll try them thanks
Old 09-08-2006 | 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, I'm not shitting you on this. The BCM looks Brand spanking new everything was so shiny!
Old 09-09-2006 | 02:05 AM
On The Tree

wheres the BCM at so i can look at mine, and also wheres the RAP system or whatever, ive been having this problem for sometime and im getting sick of it. thanks
Old 09-09-2006 | 03:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The RAP system is controlled by the BCM - there is no separate controller. The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback under the dash on the right side behind the glovebox. Looking at it won't tell you a thing - it could be completely dead and still look brand new.
Old 09-10-2006 | 11:56 PM
On The Tree

where can i get the BCM part.

maybe from a totaled car
Old 09-11-2006 | 07:20 AM
Restricted User

guys, check your grounds too. There are 2 grounding points at the dash, one behind each kickpanel, near the bottom of the dash. If one of those works it's way loose, all sorts of weird stuff happens.

also, for those looking at swapping BCM's, make sure you research that issue before buying one from a junk car. I'm not sure what years are compatible with others, and also, your key's resistor value for VATS is stored in the BCM. I think you can only program your key into a brand new, never used BCM. Once a BCM had been used with a key, I think it's locked in. Again, I'm not 100% on this, so do some research before spending money on another BCM.

mike
Old 09-11-2006 | 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, you're right Mike. A BCM can only be programmed once for the VATS system. If you install a used BCM you have only a one-in-fifteen chance of getting one with the same resistor value. Otherwise, you'll have to install a VATS bypass kit to be able to start the car.

There were only two different BCMs used in 98-02 F-bodies - one with the factory alarm and one without.
Old 09-13-2006 | 11:07 PM
On The Tree

ok so you think its my BCM, all of a sudden when im driving my stereo shuts off and my windows dont work, but if i hit the top of the monsoon deck it sometimes comes back on, or at least try to the antenna will come up and go directly back down, could this be the grounds. or is it definetely the BCM. also my hatch button stopped working on my key fob could this be controlled by the BCM also
Old 09-14-2006 | 06:46 AM
Restricted User

again, check your grounds... might be the bcm, but why spend money if simply tightening a nut is going to fix it.
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
again, check your grounds... might be the bcm, but why spend money if simply tightening a nut is going to fix it.
Any Idea where they are located??
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The radio and power windows ground at G200 which is a bolt behind the kick panel under the driver's side of the dash. You'll find a stud with a nut holding a ring terminal on the end of a black wire.
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The radio and power windows ground at G200 which is a bolt behind the kick panel under the driver's side of the dash. You'll find a stud with a nut holding a ring terminal on the end of a black wire.

exactly. While doing my alarm a few years ago, i noticed that this ground was not a good ground from the factory, it had some paint on it (wasn't bare metal). I just took the dremmel, and cleaned it up a bit. Your car may be simialr to this. I have never had a proble like this though.
Old 09-19-2006 | 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

I fu@@ing knew it, i knew it wasnt only my car, mine is doing the same thing, i tap it and itl come back . this **** is getting anoying
Old 06-23-2011 | 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 1997 camaro convertible 3.8 V6 and it has the same problem where you have to hit by the radio to get it to work. Since this thread is from 2006 and this is now 2011, what are my best options if I want to swap the bcm? Thank You