Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new sound setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new sound setup

Hey ls1techers, I'm about to throw some money down on a sound setup for my Camaro, thanks to financial aid haha but heres the setup i was thinking of:

JL Audio 10w3v3
JL Audio 500/1 amp
Pro Box Camaro stealth box

I already have an Alpine HU, and Type R 6 1/2s in the doors. the question is, now that I am going to get this setup, what do i do with the sail panels? The factory ones went out on me not too long ago so I found a deal on some Kicker midbasses which didn't last too long, so now those are gone as well. but what would be the best thing to do with the sails? another pair of midbasses or full range and run wires straight from the HU?

and has anyone heard about the quality of Pro Box sub boxes?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people will tell you that it will ruin your soundstage adding speakers to the sails. A good set of components in the door with the speaker mounted in the pillar powered by an amp with a sub in a stealthbox will sound good. Also, there are better and cheaper subs than jl but to each their own.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info b's90cam. So putting in some sails would probably be pointless? if so i'll just take out the blown ones, put the grilles back on and not worry about it
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

you dont even have to take the blown ones out =) just unplug them
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I have a pair of midbass speakers in my sails and it sounds Great I dont know why people say it ruins the overall sound because when i unplug them it sounds like ***! Just find or borrow some cheap ones hook them up listen to it then unplug them and see what you like best, never hurts to try!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a good set of componets in the front, the sails will make the overall sound quality sound bad. Positioning is another key factor in raising the soundstage.

chon79: I have an Alpine HU and the Type-R Componets and do use any rear speakers. It sounds great and no point is wasting money on sail speakers. I have not heard of Pro Box either.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

dont know if u have any rear speakers.. proponents of anti-sail panel speakers will say that a good set of components up front, coupled with a good set of either coaxials (or even another pair of components) in the rear will give u the best overall sound quality. i think the sails wuld be worth the money if u werent goin to go with a sub, since the sub will be doin all the hitting for u.

right now, im stripped between whether or not to go ahead an get a nice set of rears (got jl audio XR components up front and XR coaxials in sails, with an alpine h/u), and just forget about the sub, -or- get a nice jl audio sub/amp combo, !sail panel speakers, buy a nice set of rears, an call it a day. i guess the common denominator in both choices is gettn a nice set of rears....hmm...looks like i just answered my own question. lol
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

if your going to invest in replacing the front speakers. Do it right the first time around and do the rear too.