Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need HELP! QUICKLY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need HELP! QUICKLY!!!!

My car is in the body shop, and it has been for over three weeks now.... the parts are finally in and now they are trying to move it. Thing is, when they put my car in reverse, the car just dies, all power stops and the car will not move at all. What in the world could it be? it worked when it left my house, and now its acting up. Could it be a defense system on my alarm? My alarm automatically activates when you shut all the doors so I am guessing that it has probably gone off about 10000 times since its been there, I have no idea what is going on, the car is still new to me!......
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's an automatic, the same mechanism that prevents the car from starting while in gear, can sometimes get tripped up and result in a stall going in and out of park.

This would be a complete, fuel-cut off type of stall, not a stumble or lope then eventual stall. Just bam dead right off.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your idle speed set correctly? Automatics require a higher idle speed than an equivalent manual,and forgetting this will lead to exactly the problem you state you have.
Unlike manuals, it is possible and in fact normal for there to be an RPM mismatch between the engine and the input end of the transmission. Whenever this happens, the engine wastes power churning and heating the transmission fluid. As a result, the engine is ALWAYS under load unless you shift to Park or Neutral, thus severing the mechanical link between the the engine and the wheels.
Manuals sever this link all the time; that is what the clutch does. Since they often operate under the same no-load conditions that the idle speed is adjusted under, you don't need to add some RPM to compensate for load like automatics do.

The problem is likely in the item that imposes a load on the engine when you put it into gear; the torque converter.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

hah it was an easy fix fellas, the guy who owned the car prior to me had installed a toggle switch that cut off power to the vehicle while it sits. some genius had turned that off and the car will still start, just not do anything else. It works now
Old 09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Lucky for you it was that easy =)