Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Back Lights on Stereo Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Lights on Stereo Head

How do you replace the lights bulbs that light up the face of the stereo head at night? Does the fact that one is not working have anything to do with the fact that I have removed the LF speaker, leaving the wire open? The bulb was burned out the very next time I turned the lights on after removing the speaker. Coincidence, or more than that?

Bruce
Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01CamaroGuy
How do you replace the lights bulbs that light up the face of the stereo head at night? Does the fact that one is not working have anything to do with the fact that I have removed the LF speaker, leaving the wire open? The bulb was burned out the very next time I turned the lights on after removing the speaker. Coincidence, or more than that?

Bruce

I bet it's just coincidence. I'm actually having the same backlight problem with my factory Monsoon unit. It's weird. The left side works fine, but the whole right side is out. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same. Good luck!!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

to the top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=monsoon+led
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

i remember seeing a radio shack part number on here for the original type bulbs. they can be soldered in to replace the burnt ones. I need to do a search myself, I have a couple that are out.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

found it on another site.

Radio Shack part number for the bulb is 272-1154. $1.49 each.

if you look up the part number on Radio Shacks website you'll even see 3 reviews where people used them specifically for GM radios.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Sweet!!! I've been waiting for someone to figure out exactly which bulbs to buy. I've got just one question....I've had my radio out of the car all winter in hopes of getting the backlight problem resolved by replacing all bulbs with new bulbs or LEDs. However, I'm pretty worried about messing up my radio by making a mistake or screwing up the soldering job. I've never really messed with solder but I doesn't look that complex. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined. Can someone tell me how difficult this job will be and if I should try to tackle this or not. Thanks guys!!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Checked it out again and doesn't look that bad. I guess I'll just give it a go and hope for the best!!!
Worse come to worse, it'll just give me a reason to go out and buy a nice aftermarket head unit....
Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Cool Radio backlight bulbs

If you go to CorvetteRadio.com, they have a listing for Light Bulbs. If you click on it, it gives you several different Delco OEM radio/CD models. A couple of them include installation instructions with pictures. I am getting ready to take my radio out and replace all the bulbs. I will post pics and let you know how it goes.