Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tricky monitor bypass question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tricky monitor bypass question.

Just to clear it up, YES I SEARCHED ALREADY but my quesiton is more specific. i recently bought a Panasonic cq-vd7001u dvd headunit from a guy over on sounddomain. To make a long story short i got it at a steal because it was missing the remote, instructions, and wiring harness. Well i picked up the harness off of ebay and hooked everything up and its working fine, EXCEPT. It wont play DVDs even with the parking brake engaged when in park. Now i know the trick of grounding the wire that goes to the ebrake, but my question is which friggin wire is that?? my harness came labeled, but there wasnt a wire labeled to go to the e-brake? heres a pic of the back of my unit.

basically there are only two bare "wires" coming from the back that dont have a rca plug on the end. one says "TV CONT" and is red and blue. the other is a brown wire which i cant remember what it says but it has a cap over the end of it. (clearly it doenst say ground or anything even close). Is it one of those two heavy black connections visible on the left? my harness that plugs into the black adapter on the bottom left doesnt have anyother wires coming from it?????? can anyone help me here?????
Old 09-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Launching!

would it be a heavy wire with an adapter or connection on the end, or just a regular unassuming thin wire?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

It would be a normal (16 gauge) wire that probably doesn't have a connector on it. I'm not familiar with that particular model but the blue with red wire is often used to connect steering wheel remote controls.

It looks to me like you're missing a harness that plugs in below the two heavy black wires. I assume you have that because it probably contains the power, ground, illumination, etc. Are there any wires unused in that harness?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are there any wires unused in that harness?
No unfortunately, they are all in use. I guess the next step is to see if there are any holes in that harness that are empty that should be matching up with a pin on the back of the radio. That may be my problem, the harness is off of ebay and is probably more of a "universal" fit rather then a specific.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Yep that was it. The harness was missing a wire. Its actually missing 3 others, (i wonder what those are for... guess ill find out down the road.) heres a little pic in case anyone ever finds themself in the same delimma.

ground that baby out and you're good to go.