Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, back seat and rear deck. I was just getting sick of all the conventional rear hatch boxes.

You loose so much output when you actually mount the subs in the rear seat area that I didn't want to do that, but I'm kind of wondering if having 3 of these JBL's with 750w each mounted in the back seat area would kind of compensate for the reduced output of that mounting location. Mmmm. I think it may end up being a rediculous amount of bass.

I might consider an even more simple box with the subs in the rear seat area. I just need to find a cool look for the subs that isn't ho hum.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you lose output by moutning in the rear seat area?

Most people with extreme systems have walls directly behind the front seats.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's due to what's called "cabin gain". It's where the size of the interior and where the sound wave starts causes a additive effect to certain frequencies. It's more complex than that, but that is the jist of it. If you look at post #11 I did some measuring in my car to see what kind of actual results I would get.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=11

The difference in SPL between having the sub in the rear seat area and having it at the back of the car is 5dB, which is a huge amount.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Man this is all good stuff. First day on the forum and I've got a ton of ideas!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I am frequently on another Houston forum, and there is a guy on there that can do amazing work. He built a supra with the same sorta idea you have.

You can click on the picture for more images of it. I'm also still reading through the rest of your thread though.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Keyboard Ninja
That's sweet! Those look like 15's, but the enclosure looks too small for them. Maybe they are 12's with really big magnets? I'm going to have to check this shop out.

I'm thinking of angling my subs somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd picture. I want to be able to see the magnets from the drivers seats. That Supra really only has room for 2, but since I can fit 3 subs across the back, I will, just for the cool look of it.

I think it will look closer to this except my subs are way bigger.

I just got through adding a new double DIN Alpine HU, got it linked to the H700 processor and programmed the steering wheel controls for it. It's freaking sweet. I'm going to let the PC collect dust until I feel like messing with it again.

Do you guys feel this box would look better with the 4 flat surfaces or in a curved arc shape?

I can probably make a frame for the box from steel tubing with steel plates for the sub mounts. As heavy as they are I really want a nice steel structure for safety. Then all I have to do is pull the frame out of the car, weld in several cross braces to make sure it's super stiff and then fiberglass the whole thing. I'll stretch fleece or something over it and then soak it with resin to get the beginning shape. I'm not going to do any time consuming sanding either, just knock down the high spots, fill the low spots and wrap with thin foam and material. Probably a nice gray that contrasts a little from the factory gray color. I'll work out these details later.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's a lot more install pics here from different people, but most are not that original.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/375149-show-your-sub-amp-setup.html

Also check my sig. There are some PC cars with neat setups as well.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-firebird.html

Also check out this site.
http://www.fbodyaudio.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Teching In

I can probably make a frame for the box from steel tubing with steel plates for the sub mounts. As heavy as they are I really want a nice steel structure for safety. Then all I have to do is pull the frame out of the car, weld in several cross braces to make sure it's super stiff and then fiberglass the whole thing. I'll stretch fleece or something over it and then soak it with resin to get the beginning shape. I'm not going to do any time consuming sanding either, just knock down the high spots, fill the low spots and wrap with thin foam and material. Probably a nice gray that contrasts a little from the factory gray color. I'll work out these details later.
Good gosh you have alot of time on your hands!

Aaron posted up some info awhile back on the Supra. Those are RE XXX 10" subwoofers that you are looking at. They don't make them anymore. The 2nd picture is a trio of 10" Swiss Audio subs. That car was sponsored by both Aaron's shop and Swiss Audio but I haven't read much about it on the net in a long time.

I'm always looking at original ideas and Aaron seems to always amaze me with stuff. Once I can balance my wife's birthday gift with the estimate he gave me for my system I'll be posting up pictures too! In the mean time keep us updated with your ideas!!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good gosh you have alot of time on your hands!
I actually don't, that's why it takes me so long to get stuff done.
It's slowly coming together.

Man, those 10's sure look big in that supra. I guess he would have enough airspace for them.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I actually don't, that's why it takes me so long to get stuff done.
It's slowly coming together.

Man, those 10's sure look big in that supra. I guess he would have enough airspace for them.
There was alot to that enclosure. The owner wrecked the car shortly after it was finished and I saw it floating around www.caraudio.com once for sale. It was a pretty deep setup.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Out of curiosity have you figured out what amp(s) are you are going to run? Also what ohm load are each of your 3 subs?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Out of curiosity have you figured out what amp(s) are you are going to run? Also what ohm load are each of your 3 subs?
Yes, that is all very important and was mentioned a ways back.
Each sub is dual 6 ohm.
I would run 3 of the Rockford T5002 amps. They do 1000w at 2ohm mono. My subs will be wired in parallel so each one will be 3 ohm mono. The amps will produce about 750w at 3 ohm mono. I'm going to link the 3 18" wide amps together to make one long 54" unit. Here's a quick PS of the amp. I may add a wood cover or stick with painted metal.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Yeah I remember reading it somewhere in the thread, but then I got lost. My attention span sucks

Anywho why not just get 1 really big amp that will run your 3 subs at a 1ohm-mono load? That is what JL Audio did back in the mid 90's with the first version of the W6. You could either get a 1ohm-mono load, or a 4ohm-mono load with a trio of dual 6ohm subs.

A Digital Designs DDZ1a would do the trick. Even an Incriminator Audio IA40.1. Thats 4000watts at 1OHM EASY. If you went with the 4ohm-mono load then Arc Audio makes a 4000watt SE amplifier
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can't find much on those amps, but I know some of them are not class AB. I don't use class D amps, only AB. Second, I doubt they cost under $600. Third, none are even close in size to the monster I plan to build. That's why I'm not using them.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know one of these was posted here -- not sure about the others, so sorry if repeats -- just found these posted on CZ28:

{EDITED PICS OUT}

Last edited by fredmr39; 07-17-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I posted all those earlier. I bet valter got them from this thread.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I posted all those earlier. I bet valter got them from this thread.
lol - figured -- I was just too lazy to search this thread -- I'll delete them now to save space and help 56k users (do those still exist???)
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Did you ever finish it?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope. The last 5 weeks alone, the car has been at the dealership with the engine pulled for a rod and piston replacement. Insurance paid for most of it, but I also had the heads rebuilt and a lot of new parts installed. I just got it back and it still needs a little more tuning. I also picked up a mysterious PS leak in the rack that I'm trying to get sorted out. So my funds are dipping low. I at least want to get a matching 3rd sub so I can start building the box.

I know this much, I want 3 subs along the rear deck (magnets exposed) and I want 3 Rockford T5002 amps linked together to feed them. Part of the enclosure will be on the rear deck, but I'm not sure whether I want the rest of it in the rear seat area or in the storage well area.

I'm not in much rush, I want to get some stainless headers and Spintech mufflers as my next mod, then later on I will swap in a new cam, oil pump and timing chain.

When it comes time to build the enclosure I think I'm going to build a square tube frame of steel, probably 3/4". This will give me the outer dimensions and allow me to add lots of bracing so it won't flex. Then I'll cover it in fiberglass. Another reason I'm making it so strong is in case I get into a wreck, I don't want those heavy *** subs flying towards me.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Launching!

I saw your thread about making your own mufflers.
I thought to myself "who the heck would do that?!?!?!?"
Then I saw it was you, which got me thinking about your sub box thread

Quick Reply: Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?