Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's one.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2180560

Kind of temporary looking, though.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's an idea I had for my car. Now this is possible as I've done all the measuring. The stock tank can be moved back and down into the rear storage area. I still need to figure out how to extend the 2 lines, but I'm pretty sure it's do-able. I can then use all the space that the tank used, plus some more if need be, for a sealed subwoofer enclosure.

As far as I know, no one has ever done a sub enclosure like this in an F-body before. I was wanting to replace the tank anyway for axle clearance, but just recently found out I can move the stock unit instead. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just in the way.

I can amp up the trick factor by mounting the subs on a thick piece of plexi. That way you can actually see the box it's in as opposed to folks thinking it's freeair. I can line the enclosure with cloth and add some lights, no big deal. I don't know how much space is available, but it's going to have to be fiberglassed for sure to fit around the axle. If it turns out I have excess air space I can do something fun like lower the height of the rear deck or maybe round over the front edge. Just to let folks know this ain't stock.

Thoughts?

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-06-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off - you're crazy.

I know this has probably been mentioned, but I haven't really read into this thread much -- but I hope you have some way of deterring theft, or hopefully this isn't a daily driver by any means (I doubt it is - just saying..).

You have come up with MANY designs - it's amazing how many options there are - nice job with that.

Finally - it appears you won't have a rear seat regardless....so why are we relocating gas tanks and all this stuff? Is this stuff just to say "I did it" and to be more than just adding a large system, but to redesign the car as well? I just don't think it's necessary for a large system to look nice - but I also know a lot of things we do to our cars is not necessary.

Also -- with relocating the fuel tank... are there some sort of safety standards one must abide by? The tank will be very close to your rear bumper, according to that last design...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, the spare tire issue wore me down. There was just no way to carry it and still have a really badass looking sound system. I guess I'll carry a plug kit, a can of fix-a-flat, a small compressor and whatever else I can think of for flat repair.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fredmr39
First off - you're crazy.
I have been called a fabrication *****. I just do stuff for the sake of doing it. Life is boring so I do whatever gets me excited.

I know this has probably been mentioned, but I haven't really read into this thread much -- but I hope you have some way of deterring theft, or hopefully this isn't a daily driver by any means (I doubt it is - just saying..).
I do and it is a daily driver.

You have come up with MANY designs - it's amazing how many options there are - nice job with that.
Thank you. I didn't realize how many ways there were to skin the proverbial cat, either. I do try to think outside the box.

Finally - it appears you won't have a rear seat regardless....so why are we relocating gas tanks and all this stuff? Is this stuff just to say "I did it" and to be more than just adding a large system, but to redesign the car as well? I just don't think it's necessary for a large system to look nice - but I also know a lot of things we do to our cars is not necessary.

Also -- with relocating the fuel tank... are there some sort of safety standards one must abide by? The tank will be very close to your rear bumper, according to that last design...
Yes there are safety standards. I plan to make everything safe. There will be a sheetmetal wall covering the tank and the storage well will have to be cut out for the tank to fit. It will mount with the factory straps and mount from the bottom similar to stock. As far as crash protection goes I've been working on that as part of a chassis stiffening program I've been working on. Here are just the pics. I won't go into details here.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea no offense but none of this is ever going to happen
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mudvayne
Yea no offense but none of this is ever going to happen
Why are you posting something that serves no purpose AND you think may be offensive? Why?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Teching In

How do you make that carbon fiber?? or who sells it
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one has mentioned any carbon fiber in this thread.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Why are you posting something that serves no purpose AND you think may be offensive? Why?
Anyone have any ideas

If I remember correctly aren't you in college?
If so you should work at an audio shop part time cause you do have some good ideas
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, I'm 34 and work full time 6 days a week. My health is not so good so I'm tired pretty much tired all the time. I do what I can, but lately it hasn't been much. Right now I'm trying to pick out a a new headunit as the PC system is now out of the car, plus I want to install a new dual exhaust system completely tucked up so it doesn't hang down. It shouldn't be too hard to do, just pull the seats and move the carpet off to the side and then cut my notches in the floor and then weld in the tunnels. Pretty simple actually, plus I can do one side at a time.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/725785-making-my-own-mufflers-d.html

I do want to move the gas tank and put the sub box where the rear deck was. I could probably swap the subs around so the cones face the top. Then the area the rear seat would go can be plexi so you could see the subwoofer frames on either side of the axle pumpkin. That would be badass, but the one big amp design my block the view from the front seats. I've also got a few ideas to partially coutersink the subs with the frames sticking out. I need to do a few Photoshops and see what you guys think.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had access to a f-body with the gas tank removed and I did a lot of measuring and took photos and it's definetely possible to move the tank to the back of the car and down some. I just have to rotate the front to the rear and lenthen the lines and wires. The rest is just welding sheetmetal. I'll post up pics soon.

OK, so I have all this space on the rear hump area and I have the 2 cool looking JBL subs. I was thinking it would look nice to have the subs mounted cone down on the rear deck so that the tall frames come within an inch of the rear window. The only thing is that the rear deck is about 36"+ wide so there will be a lot of empty space. What do you guys think about 3 of the subs back there with 3 amps powering them? I want something that looks unique and really cool. Any thoughts?

I'll photoshop a pic of 3 subs mounted back there soon.

BTW, in order to help offset the additional costs of 3 subs and 3 amps I can get 3 of the T5002 units. These are 18" wide and would produce about 750w at my 3 ohm subwoofer load. I can link them together to make one big 54" long amp. It will just barely fit in the rear seat area. I'll probably have to modify the sail panels for clearance, but who cares? It should be badass looking!

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-16-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the tank. I didn't know it was so complicated so a fuel cell would be a lot more work plus money.

Here is the way the stock tank sits. It has been lowered from the car and moved back where there is more room.

Here is how I want to turn the stock tank around. It would go straight up from here. The bottom is angled to not scrape any steep driveways and the top is almost flat across like stock.

With this mod done it will free up all the space where the tank was as well as make it easy to extend the box forward if I need more airspace. It will clear the PHR by about 3" and any rear end gear changes can still be done by dropping the rear axle way down.

The tank dimensions are about 12.5" tall, 22.5" long and 33" wide at it's widest. The width is a minor concern as the frame rails where it would fit are also about 33" or a tad less. I can't have it rubbing so I might have to hammer the frame rails a little for clearance. It should be no big deal.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

From this:

To this:
Old 06-23-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I mocked up the subs a couple of ways, but I think the only way that looks good is all 3 right across the back. Now maybe the average car audio guy is not going to catch it, but I know all the f-body owners are going to be scratching their head as to how I was able to mount the subs in that location.

Don't mind the white stuff around the mounting lip, it's just some modeling clay the previous owner used to seal them up and is incredibly hard to remove.

Now I can leave the factory carpet and make it look like some crazy guy just bolted some subs onto his gas tank! or I can do some kind of fancy floor cover like plexi or stained wood or something. It's all flat so that should be easy. What do you guys think of this installation and about going to 3 subs?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

3 would look alright but will you have the space for them? are you going to have 10s or 12s?

I just hope you'll be able to park outdoors and not feel uneasy about it....theft would be on my mind constantly -- no real easy way to hide it too with that setup
Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

3 would look alright but will you have the space for them? are you going to have 10s or 12s?

I just hope you'll be able to park outdoors and not feel uneasy about it....theft would be on my mind constantly -- no real easy way to hide it too with that setup
Just alright? I'm going for over the top.

Of course I have space for them.

3 12's.

I can hide them very easily, no worries about that.

I thought it looked really awesome, but maybe it's too subdued. At least it's unique. I've never seen an install like this before and I've seen hundreds of F-body installs.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just alright? I'm going for over the top.

I can hide them very easily, no worries about that.

I thought it looked really awesome, but maybe it's too subdued. At least it's unique. I've never seen an install like this before and I've seen hundreds of F-body installs.
It does look nice -- alright wasn't meant to be demeaning -- it was more like "alright....wow that could actually work" -- and did you really expect to have seen an install like that before? of course not -- probably a first on and F-body.

Now get to work.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a few subbox ideas based on my earlier designs, but using 3 JBL subs.

This would be a bit easier to do. No gas tank moving, I get to keep the rear storage area, plus I should be able to fit a full sized spare in the back. Mainly I wanted a nice look from the rear when you pop the hatch. Those 3 big sub frames looking right at you should look pretty good. I can have the one big 54" amp attached to the sub box which also simplifies things. It's also still somewhat unique looking.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's what I THOUGHT this thread was about -- using the rear seats!!

alright good -- now that you have your sanity back, do it.

Quick Reply: Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?