Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote Start Clutch Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Clutch Bypass

Who knows how to pull this off? I know it's been done, and I know the dangers of doing it, so please don't lecture me. It'd be great if somebody could let me know, it's starting to get cold here in Indiana, and it won't be long until it's damn freezing. Thanks as always!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Disconnect the neutral switch?

A friend has his disconnected and I was surprised when he started his car without getting in the seat and pressing the clutch in. I cant wait to do that either. Besides, I leave my car in neutral and not in gear when its parked.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Restricted User

ok... first off, if you do not know enough about how your car works to know this already, you really should not be attempting to install a remote start on your own, as things get much more complicated then jsut the clutch issue.

you need to wire a relay that simulates the clutch switch. The clutch switch is just above the clutch. You need to wire thre relay to bypass the clutch when starting, using an appropiate output from the remote start unit.

If what I just said does not make sense, please do not attept this. Remote starts and alarms are not as simple as head unit swaps and amp installs.

mike
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input Mike, I was looking for more specifics, but appreciate and respect your advice. I have everything hooked up and it all works properly. I did have one mishap after not getting a wire tapped up while I was finishing things up, but other than that, it went pretty smooth, and yes this was my first install. The alarm itself was installed by a shop, but they didn't do the R.S. since it was a manual trans, so I did that part myself. I have learned a ton from this forum as well as others, and was able to pull it off. People have to learn how to do things at some point in time, just as there was a time you did not know what you were doing and someone guided you or you figured it out on your own. Not everyone can be an expert at everything all the time, and need help. I have a feeling there are things in life I know more about than you do, but I wouldn't patronize you for not having the knowlege I have.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Restricted User

yeah, I didn't mean to sound condesending, and agree anyone can learn to do it. But it takes time and small steps. I've seen too many people that can barely install a stereo, thinking an alarm is just a few wires you twist tie up and call it a day, and have no idea on the concepts of relays, diodes, 12v trigger vs negative trigger, etc ..

if you have a decent understaning of 12v electronics, it's not hard at all.

But specifically with m6 remote starts, like I said, there is a switch above the clutch that engages when you press the pedal down. You need to splice into those wires and have them go into a relay so that when the relay is engaged, the car thinks the clutch pedal is pushed down. But you don't want to disconnect them from the existing switch either, or else you will not be able to normally start your car.

mike
Old 10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

So, I'm finally getting around to doing this, and apparently one of my buddies stole my multimeter, so I'm not sure which wires are doing what in regards to the clutch switch, and I hate trial and error. Hopefully I can get it back tomorrow, but until then, does anyone know what the wires are doing so I can hook up the relay and get this done? It's going to get below freezing here on thursday !
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

What you want to do is connect the purple with white wire to the dark green wire at the clutch switch. Now, if it wasn't for your cruise control, you could just patch these two wires together. However, that would make it impossible to engage the cruise control.

A relay will take care of this problem. Connect terminal 30 of the relay to one of the wires and terminal 87 to the other one (don't disconnect the original wires - just tap into them). Depending on your remote starter you will have a signal wire that is active when it tries to start the car. This wire will provide either power or ground. If it provides power, connect it to terminal 86 and connect terminal 85 to ground. If it provides ground then connect it to terminal 85 and connect terminal 86 to a fused constant (battery) power source.

Now when you use the remote starter it will trip the relay and bypass the clutch switch. At any other time the clutch switch will work normally.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. I would have figured it out eventually(once I got my multimeter back), but you just saved me a ton of time!