Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

picking out an alternater upgrade 200 or 160

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default confussed if I actualley get a new or a rebuilt?

well I still haven't got a new alternater yet.

during the winter and any month where the outside air temp. is under 85 degrees the orginal alt. works fine.

when temps. get over 85 at idel I can't have AC, radio lights on somethngs gotta be turned off usalley AC.

anyway it's been like this awhile so this year I'm gonna seriously research a excellent atlernater seller.

1. did GM (or AC delco) make a 160Amp alt. becauce I thought the orginal atl. for 98-02 f-bodys was a 103 amp? so if I see a ebay listing like below they say new on the top of listing however these folks are in the rebuilding bussiness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...Q5fAccessories

I have been warned about rebuilt alt. so for me w/ a modest audio sys. a orginal replacement will be fine however I have been informed that even GM Parts direct is selling rebuilds so I'm like totally confussed.

Thanks Guys
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats cheap for a 160A....mine just went last week and I couldnt find a new one anywhere so it was rebuilt at a local shop...

Heres a 200A for the same price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I may pick up the 200A myself
Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be so concerned about peak amperage. Idle is what's important. Look up the threads on the AD-244 alternators, RPO code "KG3". They make as much at idle as your stock alternator makes at peak.

Type in "KG3 alternator" on ebay, you'll see lots of salvage genuine Delco 145 amp alternators in the $50-60 range. Get a longer belt $23, and a 4 AUG 55" sidepost wire $10, and you're all set.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrman
thats cheap for a 160A....mine just went last week and I couldnt find a new one anywhere so it was rebuilt at a local shop...

Heres a 200A for the same price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I may pick up the 200A myself
I have never had an alt. go out doe's it give you a little warning go just completely fail and leave you stranded?

I bought this car in 01 and this alt. has never really charged like over 12V area usalley much lower. I'm thinking my alt. has been warning me for awhile.

Thanks for the link looks like the folks in TX have excellent feedback.
However does'nt the orginal alt. have a vent tube on the back?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I have never had an alt. go out doe's it give you a little warning go just completely fail and leave you stranded?

I bought this car in 01 and this alt. has never really charged like over 12V area usalley much lower. I'm thinking my alt. has been warning me for awhile.

Thanks for the link looks like the folks in TX have excellent feedback.
However does'nt the orginal alt. have a vent tube on the back?
I was doing about 70 on the freeway then I started to see my RPM dropping and the car just started to slow down and that was it.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how the alternator dies. If an armature breaks off or brushes burn off, it'll be a quick death. You'll run off the battery until it goes below threshold voltage. First symptoms are usually weird like the HU cutting out or dash instruments doing strange things.

If the diodes go bad, you send an un-rectified signal to your battery to charge on. This is much harder to detect and diagnose as you may be tempted to think your battery is bad because you're still making current from your alternator. I had an alternator with bad diodes test out okay on a cheap auto store test stand.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

40$ for a junk yard AD244.......145 amps of pure bliss

Quick Reply: picking out an alternater upgrade 200 or 160