Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pulsing lights??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing lights??

My headlights and interior lights have a pulse, my alternator is charging strong, my car is not missing, but idling at about 550 rpm (stock cam). They seem to pulse with the engine. Where should I start? Keep in mind this is a hurricane Katrina victim that has been rebuilt, so water has been a factor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish there were a market for gremlins, I have a ton of them.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Teching In

sorry to hear bout the hurricane damage, id say check all your grounds for starters before you start goin nuts tracing wires
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Launching!

the water damage is a thing of the past, Im only doing follow up on corrosion issues, to look at the car, youd never know its ever even seen rain. Its been a daily driver for the past few weeks, and Ive put about 2000 miles on it since Ive gotten it, Im just wondering what this could be.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with killacam on the ground issue. Check all ground connections first. If the grounds are small gage wire you might consider a larger gage wire for the grounds as well. I have a strong system that puts out 145 db with no cap and have no issues with dimming lights. I have however upgraded my grounds. Good luck, I used to have a 69 firebird and I regret everyday that I sold it.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

update on the light issue, the lights are pulsing harder, and it seems to be affecting everything electrical ie. A/C fan, idle, etc...I have the wiring diagrams, but Im an electrical mooooooron, where would I start? Is there a main ground somewhere, or am I chasing a meelion wires around this monster? Im thinking since everything is affected, to start there. Dumb it out for me like the last time
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Well yes, there is a main ground so to speak. It's the battery negative terminal. Don't overlook the simple things - check for corrosion on your battery terminals and clean them if necessary. Also check the other end of the battery negative cable to make sure it has a clean and tight connection.

Beyond that there isn't a single ground location - each circuit generally has its own. The headlights ground to bolts on each side of the radiator mount, the interior lights ground to a stud behind the kick panel under the dash.

You might want to get your charging system tested. You might have a voltage regulator problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Ill start there, I truly hope this car understands how much love it takes to rebuild something like this.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The older ones seem like they'd be so easy with the lack of high tech gadgets but once the gremlins get in there....damn. Just think how much it would suck to not have that ride!! Like I said before I regret selling mine and that was 7 years ago. Good luck!!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Launching!

oh no, this is the Firehawk with these issues, my 69 has been good, the only problem Ive had with that one is a flat cam, hence the 467. I had another 69 a while back, I bought it when I was 17 and spent 8 years on it then sold it for a 99 T/A. I missed it so bad I had to buy this one. The only way to get over missing one is to replace it.