Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

problem with anti theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with anti theft

I Got A 98 Formula And That Damn Security Light Is On And The Car Does Not Want To Start...i Tried Gettin Rid Of It With The Hypertech Did Not Work. What Do I Do To Turn It Off
Old 10-09-2006, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Try cleaning the chip in your key... could be dirty or damaged, or then could be the lock cylinder damaged.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

i tried a new key that i had and i cleaned the old one and still doesnt work.. the security light just keeps blinking....i also tried messing with a switch that is under the dash nothing either...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's not recognizing the key - you can bypass/disable the pelet in the key with a resistor - should be a lot of posts on this under "VATS bypass" or something similar...or get the lock cyl/wiring fixed.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i tried the electronic cleaner on the ignition itself and *** man it still doesnt start... ****
Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I was referring to, but it's for earlier models - basically read the resistance of the key pelet and install a resistor. LS1's are probably different colors but the principle is the same. The small wires are probably broken somewhere. http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg Some programmers like HPT/EFI can probably shut it off too. The answer for 98+ is here, just gotta search for it.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

its really easy to fix, i just did it, all u need is some equipment, u needa test the resistance over the the chip in the key.

Go to radio shack, buy resistors, u can stack them to get as close as u can to your keys resistance. Remove the 2 panel under the stearing wheel, find 2 white wires, in an orange sleeve, cut them on the car side of the wires, connect through the resistors.

Took me about an hour, compared to the 1k the dealer quoted me at.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_Firechicken
I Got A 98 Formula And That Damn Security Light Is On And The Car Does Not Want To Start...i Tried Gettin Rid Of It With The Hypertech Did Not Work. What Do I Do To Turn It Off

did you recently change your steering column or PCM. They have to match the resistance. if you changed either one, go to your local dealer and they can cut you a new key with the right resistor.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
did you recently change your steering column or PCM. They have to match the resistance. if you changed either one, go to your local dealer and they can cut you a new key with the right resistor.
The VATS system (the system that checks the resistance in the key) is in the BCM not the PCM. And there is nothing except contacts in the ignition cylinder in the column so the column is not involved - the resistor is in the key (that black and silver pellet on the sides of the key).