Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Disconnect battery if car will be sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disconnect battery if car will be sitting?

Just as it says. I store my car most of the winter, am I better off disconnecting the battery or not? Most tell me I should....thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see any reason to leave it connected, other than storing your presets and/or radio settings.

Either way, put it on a battery tender and forget about it.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, its a good idea to run some fuel system conditioner(like STA-BIL) through it,for Winter hibernation.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87gnx
Also, its a good idea to run some fuel system conditioner(like STA-BIL) through it,for Winter hibernation.
I've become somewhat partial to this. I used to go through this whole routine when I put my bike away for the winter (nov- mid april typically).

Last 2 winters I just lubed the chain, oil change and topped off the gas and ran the carbs dry. Since the car is FI'd, there's nothing to really run dry.

Come spring, the bike starts right up usually on the first try. For less than 6 months storage, I think you'll be ok without stabil. I would change the oil though...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GPz1100
I don't see any reason to leave it connected, other than storing your presets and/or radio settings.

Either way, put it on a battery tender and forget about it.

Yeah I could care less about the presets....

It's not garaged, it's covered so I can't use a battery tender
I'm probably gonna buy the battery switch from Cal Car Cover so it will make it easy to diconnect it.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GPz1100
For less than 6 months storage, I think you'll be ok without stabil. I would change the oil though...

I store it from like Nov to Apr at most, and I do drive it once a month provided the roads are clear. So I wasn't planning on using Stabil.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not one for running the fuel system dry.One, it dries out the O- Rings gaskets and seals; two, the pump has to work that much harder(when dry) to get you the proper fuel pressure on the next start up.
If you can run the car every so often, then I guess its a moot point.$.02.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Remember, not only your presets will be lost, but your PCM will lose it's 'memory' which means it will take at least 500 miles of driving under different conditions once you start driving the car again for the computer to re-learn the optimum settings.

Since my car is a show car, it doesn't get driven that much and 500 miles is a lot of driving just to get the computer settings back to optimum.

I have a custom tune due to all my mods and can definitely tell the difference in how the car runs after disconnecting the battery and until the computer relearns.

I leave mine connected and use a Battery Tender over the winter months.

-Jay-
Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with 1QUIKWS6, a battery tender is the way to go. Everytime you put in the battery it will take a few day of driving for the computer to relearn everything which I don't like. Plus, that time you want to go out and start the car, it is much quicker.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Keeping the car outside under a cover doesn't preclude using a battery tender. You can get the adapter cable with ring terminals on one end and the flat connector for the tender on the other. Leave the adapter cable permanently connected to the battery terminals and run the other end out under the car someplace then plug it in to the tender when you need to.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone have a link to one of these battery tenders? I half kinda store my car over the winter and like the sound of this.

How long to the tenders take? I'm in an apartment/carport so the requirements are a bit different.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Battery tenders aren't really designed for recharging a battery - they're meant to be left connected over a long period (months) to maintain the optimal charge on the battery. They have a microprocessor in them that prevents overcharging and maintains a trickle charge.

I don't know if any of our sponsors sell them so I can't really post a link but I will say that "battery tender" is actually a brand name so you might try just adding .com to that.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Most motorcycle places should have those. Check out denniskirk.com or jcwhitney.com also chaparral-racing.com has 'em. Ronayers.com might have them too.

Try a sporting goods store too. They are typically used on motorcycles/atv's/etc type vehicles to maintain battery state while in storage.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can get the adapter cable with ring terminals on one end and the flat connector for the tender on the other. Leave the adapter cable permanently connected to the battery terminals and run the other end out under the car someplace then plug it in to the tender when you need to.

Can you explain a little more, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I know they make a weather resistent tender, and I do have access to a outside power outlet. I guess I could keep the tender under the hood and run the wire to the outlet over the winter so the battery will always be fully charged.

Thanks.

Last edited by BluCamSS; 10-11-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

The type tender he is referring to is semi-permanent - meaning you can mount the unit under your hood close or on the battery, and the leads from the tender actually fasten to your battery terminals instead of using the alligator style clips that most have.

That way you could do what you stated - just plug an extension into your outside outlet and then into the tender from under the car - not disturbing your car cover at all

I didn't realize you were keeping the car outside - mine is kept in the nice warm garage - I probably treat it better than my wife
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
The type tender he is referring to is semi-permanent - meaning you can mount the unit under your hood close or on the battery, and the leads from the tender actually fasten to your battery terminals instead of using the alligator style clips that most have.

That way you could do what you stated - just plug an extension into your outside outlet and then into the tender from under the car - not disturbing your car cover at all

I didn't realize you were keeping the car outside - mine is kept in the nice warm garage - I probably treat it better than my wife

Do you know where I can buy one like that? I can't find that kind.

Yeah, driveway, covered....no garage yet. It will be next winter though.

PS, were you at Carlise this year?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Just sent you a PM with link to BEST battery tender to use - much better than the 'trickle chargers' out there - will not harm your battery in any way.

These tenders come with both the alligator style leads and the permanent ring style terminal leads.

I got mine at PepBoys...

-Jay-
Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Resident

You guys mentioned the PCM relearning everything... Is this only Autos? Only LS1s?

My LT1 M6 would not need relearning would it?

I know its off topic but there were a few posts about it.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Any car that uses computer control for the engine will need to re-learn the optimum driving settings if the battery is disconnected or PCM fuse pulled for any appreciable amount of time...

-Jay-
Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BluCamSS
Do you know where I can buy one like that? I can't find that kind.

Yeah, driveway, covered....no garage yet. It will be next winter though.

PS, were you at Carlise this year?
Guy, why not get the battery tender like I have. You have access to an outside plug no?

Quick Reply: Disconnect battery if car will be sitting?