Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How To Relocate Climate Controls 97-02

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you keep the stock stuff like that? It would look good, but I have a feeling you could switch to smaller ***** with a set screw at the same time you seperate the switch bodies (the junk on the back of the panel) from the mounting plate, and save a ton of room. I did a cursory look into this and guitar/bass hardware with a set screw works fine, and is small, and there are a ton to choose from.

Then the only thing that really dictates the size of the operation is how big the switch body behind the mounting plate is. IIRC you could nearly, with the type of center console moding you are talking about, get two of them side by side and then have another offset behind then, closer to the armrest.

I believe when I measured the switch bodies, they would nearly all fit where the TCS/storage cubby are. That was a while ago.

Your work on the blend door switch is excellent. Pioneering even.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The size of the ***** are just right for me. I already swapped the factory ***** out to these so I could get a better grip on them. The smaller ***** your talking about would tear up your fingers trying to twist them.

Post #1 shows the back side and how huge the controls are so there's no point in trying to cut down their size or use smaller *****. All 3 should fit just right. I could also angle each of the 3 controls to the rear kind of like a triple cluster A-piller guage set, but just a little angle, not a lot. That may make it look more factory.

I thought about lowering them as well, but it would be a pain to relocate my switches and build a new cupholder attached to the front of the passenger seat. That really isn't the worst part, it's reshaping the console. I do have an extra complete console so I can take my time making it, but I kind of don't like moving stuff around. My existing TCS and cutout switch would have to be relocated to a new easily accessable location. It just seems like extra work. I haven't ruled it out, though.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, no just throwing some stuff out there.

Are you going to countersink the control panel at all or try and have it flush mounted to the contour of the console?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would want the ***** below the surface so I can make a simple cover to place over them and completely hide them during the Spring, Summer and Fall when I rarely use the controls. I think there's enough room, but I'll have to see.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great write up, and well done, but why?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't need to relocate them, then it's no big deal. Just ignore this post.

If your curious why I want to do this, it's because I want to install a 10" touchscreen there. Like this:

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^That screen is crazy big.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is a photoshop if i remember reading correctly on mp3car, but I could be wrong
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

That look sharp! Nice write up man
Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is not a photochop, not his car, but i've seen it here before.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is the 10.4" screen in Bernhards car. His is the first post in my F-body PC thread in my sig. Click on it for more info on his setup as well as other f-body setups.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that's sweet, but would there be a way for you to do the climate controls in an electronic manner? you know, have it ran off the touchscreen?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sgt0704
that's sweet, but would there be a way for you to do the climate controls in an electronic manner? you know, have it ran off the touchscreen?
Not easily. It's been tried with a certain degree of success, but there's major engineering involved. The electric fan speed can be controlled through relays, the vent selector can be controlled with vacuum valves. One valve for each setting and the valves are controlled through relays and then the Bowden cable can be rigged to a servo and the servo controls the opening and closing and everything in between. It also requires programming skills to get everything working properly. There was a guy here who did this with his car and had it working, but it wasn't reliable. He ended up replacing the car and he sold off the parts. The search feature is down right now, but it's in this forum somewhere. I also have pics of his setup.

There is also a stand alone circuit board designed to control 3 servo's specifically aimed at automating car air conditioning systems. There's some more info in this thread.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-controls.html

BTW, I may be ditching my PC for good so I won't need to relocate my controls. I'll probably just give away my extended cable to someone who needs it. All I need is the length you want and I'll finish it and ship it out. Just not right now, though. I need to find a good head unit for my tunes first.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did you ever finish the bongo drum subwoofer deal completed?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

That was one of my ideas for a subwoofer enclosure. Frankly I never figured out a good way to internally strengthen them, seal them and mount them. The conga enclosures are pretty heavy by themselves, plus I was really surprised by how heavy the subs are. You can throw your back out lifting those things. So I was trying to come up with a more conventional box design, but have a unique twist to it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=162
Old 06-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

You don't want to move the fuel tank into the t-top well in the trunk. Fuel tanks today are generally placed under the rear seat or over the rear axle so they are protected in a rear-end collision. There were some cases a while back with Ford Crown Vics and Ford Mustangs which at the time still had the fuel tank far rearward where the car could burst into flame in a rear-end collision. This was a real concern for police since they drive Ford Crown Vics and I think some of those cases involved police. I don't remember if they moved the fuel tank, but they added addition braces/shielding to prevent the tank from being punctured and spread the forces around the tank.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got things covered. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I've got things covered. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be an ***.
Sorry if thats how it sounded.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

No sweat. I'm going to have a tubular bumper setup reinforcing the whole back of the car and the tank itself will have sheetmetal separating it from the interior of the car.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by JasonWW
the tank itself will have sheetmetal separating it from the interior of the car.
Good idea, I forgot about a firewall.

Quick Reply: How To Relocate Climate Controls 97-02