Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Ok, mine plugs into my new Alpine via a propriatary connection so I was not sure if it was using analog or not.
Mike, a proprietary connection could be either. One easy way to check is to count the number of wires. If there are only 2 (such as an RCA jack) it is most likely digital. If there are 4 wires, (such as an s-video jack) it most likely is analog. But either the iPod or the Alpine site should be able to clarify this.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is interested, one of these adapters are for sale over at ls1.com.
Just an fyi.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whitebird00,
In reference to your earlier post, would the GM9-AUX connector be able to charge and play my iPod, or do I need the "iPod2Car" adapter to do this.

I'm just looking for the cheapest way to play and charge my iPod, and definitely want a direct connection (no FM transmitters).

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Whitebird00,
In reference to your earlier post, would the GM9-AUX connector be able to charge and play my iPod, or do I need the "iPod2Car" adapter to do this.

I'm just looking for the cheapest way to play and charge my iPod, and definitely want a direct connection (no FM transmitters).

Thanks,
Jim
No, the GM9-AUX only provides input (RCA jacks) for connection to any auxiliary source - MP3 player, satellite radio, iPod, or whatever. There are no iPod-specific features such as battery charging. You will have to get one of the iPod-specific adapters such as the iPod2Car to get more features.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

So with the GM9-AUX connection, I can hook up an RCA jack from the headphone port on the iPod to the GM9-AUX connector? Then I could buy a seperate car charger that hooks up to the "dock connector port" on the iPod.

Is there just that one connection for both power and audio signal on the iPod2car connector?

Thanks for your help!!

Jim
Old 01-01-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the iPod2car does it all with the one cable.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by vtirocz
So with the GM9-AUX connection, I can hook up an RCA jack from the headphone port on the iPod to the GM9-AUX connector? Then I could buy a seperate car charger that hooks up to the "dock connector port" on the iPod.

Jim
Yes, the GM9-AUX would connect to the headphone jack on the iPod (you would need an inexpensive cable to connect the headphone jack to the RCA jacks on the adapter) so the dock port connector could still be used to connect a charger.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Thanks! It sounds like by the time I buy the GM9-AUX adapter + the car charger, it would not be much cheaper than the iPod2car adapter.

Do any sponsors (or any stores) sell the iPod2car adapter for less than $150?

Thanks,
Jim