Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What should i get
Satellite Radio
44.44%
I-pod
55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Satellite Radio or I-pod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I used a power transformer from Radio Shack. It's a little black box (vented) that takes 12V input and has a slide switch on top to set the output voltage and has various sizes of DIN power plugs for the output side. So I found the connector that was the size I needed, set it to 6V output, and just plugged it in.

I happened to have that converter left over from an old project (9V garage door opener on a motorcycle) so I don't know the part number or even if Radio Shack still sells it. If it's hard to find, just get one of those power outlet extension cords (basically a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a two-lead wire), cut off all except a few inches of the wire, and patch it into the Monsoon's wiring harness. Make sure you get the positive and negative the correct way. Then just plug in the car adapter from your Sirius radio and hide the wires.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awsome thanks,
I ordered everything about three days ago, so should be here soon.I would have been pissed if I hadn't found out about the step down
Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah got everything together and it's great, thanks for all the info. I mounted the antenna on the back glass. and got the car kit from sirius. (radio shack didn't have the steap down) I also cut out the cup holder and fiberglassed an encloser for the sat radio. I am very pleased with the results, Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
I also cut out the cup holder and fiberglassed an encloser for the sat radio. I am very pleased with the results, Thanks
How about some pics?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How's the reception with the satellite antenna being on the trunk shock?? I have mine in a different location and it sucks.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sat radio for the win. I Love it, and there's just so many different channels to choose from.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jond99
How's the reception with the satellite antenna being on the trunk shock?? I have mine in a different location and it sucks.
It's excellent. The area I live in is very hilly/mountainous and I rarely lose reception.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I moved the antenna to where you have it and i haven't come close to losing reception, sweet solution.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

quick question, i'm thinking of grabbing a Zune mp3 player (i cant stand the ipod controllers!!) and was wondering what HU would work with them. my friend bought a pioneer (i cant remember the model number but it just came out this month) and then he couldnt figure out how to make it work, he hooked it up to the usb port in the back and it would only come up with a N/A something. i was wondering what are things to look for when buying a HU being compatable for the Zune as well. i've thought about satilite but meeeeeeeeeeh i dont really like spending the money to rent the music
Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ipod with aftermarket deck You can still run xm through the deck if want as well
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio or I-pod?-small-shot-7.jpg   Satellite Radio or I-pod?-small-pic-8.jpg