Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pre Amp outs from Factory Head Unit ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Amp outs from Factory Head Unit ??

Has anyone ever tried to pull preamp outputs from the Factory head unit? This was a trick that has been used in earlier model factory HU to keep the factory appearance but upgrade all the amplifiers and speakers. I'd like to do this with a new HU to drive my amps but don't know where to tap into the preamp section of the HU.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
-Chip
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know its possible, my uncle adds them all the time. I don't know where he taps into, but it is possible. Maybe some of the other guys know where to do it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pick up a line-level adapter from a shop -- this converts speaker-level outputs of the head unit to the pre-amp input that most amps like to "see"...some amps actually have speaker-level inputs as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I've already tried the line-level converter, I have a PAC-1. It's not good enough for my SQ system. The factory power amp section has too much noise, I need straight pre-amp without going through the power amp section.

Thanks,
-Chip
Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firehawk335
I've already tried the line-level converter, I have a PAC-1. It's not good enough for my SQ system. The factory power amp section has too much noise, I need straight pre-amp without going through the power amp section.

Thanks,
-Chip
monster cable, audiocontrol, jl and mtx makes a kicka$$ line level converter. Make sure you tap the wires behind the radio to get the best sound quality.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A huge waste of time IMHO. The factory HU is a POS. nothing is going to help it sound good. If you did not like the sound quality using a line level converter nothing is going to help except gutting it all and redoing the entire system. I tried but by the time I got the SQ I wanted I had ripped everything out and started over.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks, but I think all the aftermarket HUs look like POS.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL...sorry but that's a pretty broad statement!! Especially considering your comparing to a stock HU from GM. You may not want dolphins and race cars as screen savers...which I agree with...LOL...but there are tons of tasteful high quality displays with incredible sound quality available. Your basically trying to amplify crappy sound quality and then clean it up. IMO it's not gonna happen. You at least have to start with good SQ to have good SQ. The only thing I can think of that might help is to run the line level converter out to a nice sound processor to try and clean things up...then to the amp. Might help some but then again the preamp voltage your getting is minimal so it's never gonna be that clean. The best sounding preamp outputs have at least 4-8 volts. Your not gonna get that from a line level converter but may be able to get it from a seperate processor. Good luck!!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need to specify what you're going for. if you have a factory hu, are you using the factory amp? are you using factory speakers? if everything is aftermarket but the HU, try your method the a higher end converter, but if it still sounds like ****, then you're gonna have to upgrade the HU. there's some pretty cool ones too. i'd prefer a dbl din dvd player. but that takes some modification to make it look right.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
You may not want dolphins and race cars as screen savers...
ok.......how the hell is Kenwood connected with dolphins???????

that has always confused me....
Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, my kenwood has a dolphin fedish too. Anyway I would mostly agree that after market HUs look like ***, but its because of the crappy install kits placed around them usually. My kenwood looks pretty good and matches fairly well, but it will look a lot better once I get a humount for it. Hopefully ill be ditching it altogether for a nav system but if you really think after market HUs look like *** then take a look at some of the pictures of members HUs with a humount, they will change your mind. They really wind up looking very factory and VERY cool.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, but lets be clear about this!! Basically it's the install that looks like crap...the way we have to put a single din unit into a 1.5 din hole. The HU's themselves are not the issue. If that's the problem I'd go double din and redo the bezel. Or a single din and again..redo the bezel. This makes it look factory and fills the hole in. It also gives you the answer to sound quality issues. There are several options...just gotta be a little flexible...lol!!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

And guess how many really good sounding 1.5 DIN systems are out there.....NONE!

I agree that most single DIN radios don't look right in the fbody dash but I'll take sound quality over looks anyday.