Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What should i get
Satellite Radio
44.44%
I-pod
55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Satellite Radio or I-pod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Satellite Radio or I-pod?

I am in the market for Satellite Radio or I-pod! Both can be used in house,car,and other use.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um exactly what are you asking us?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

like the poll topic says what should i get a i-pod or a Satellite Radio
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Ipod all the way
Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
like the poll topic says what should i get a i-pod or a Satellite Radio
Depends on a ton really..

I mean do you like talk radio at all, do you branch out your musical tastes like change or into a few things and happy like that?

Me, i'd do a sat radio, but it's more what i like being able to hear new things, with an i-pod it's not as easy but you know what is going to be on and can control that.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

The advantage of satellite radio is variety. Granted, you can load tons of music (if you have it) and set an iPod to random play so that you're not always listening to the same music in the same order - but that still can't match the sheer depth of variety available through satellite radio.

I listen to satellite radio all day at work and whenever I travel. I still use the CD changer sometimes when I'm in the mood for some particular music but mostly I just "set it and forget it" with the satellite radio (occasionally changing channels for variety).
Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Satellite radio, you still have to pay, right? F'dat.

I'd forget the Ipod and get something down-market
like what's on eBay now, I got something out of
Hong Kong, 4GB flash, itty bitty thing that sounds
fine, under $40. Bears some resemblance to the
SanDisk ones (not to say rip-off) from the look of
it and features. Only gripe is the sub-mini 'phone
plug, made me go out to the Shack and buy a
couple of connectors to adapt 'em up. But I guess
that's the way all of them are going, can't fit a 1/8"
jack in a 1/8" thick case.

Take the money you save and buy a USB hard drive
to store all the files you aren't supposed to have.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm. i have both but they are really hard to compare. the initial costs are about the same but with sat radio, you have to pay every month. that's a big difference. are you willing to do that? sat radio has a lot more variety. the ipod just holds your cds. so if you're tired of your cds, you're tired of your ipod. i tend to listen to my ipod in the car only when i get a new cd then it's back to sirius. having both now, if i had to give one up it would be the ipod. but if you've never had an ipod, you've been missing out; in that case, i would get an ipod.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

iPod FTMTW!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a hard decision. I listen to sat radio whenever Im at work and I love it. If theres a song on that I dont like, I can just tune in to one of the many other stations that I like. You have everything from new releases to classic rock at your fingertips. The only downfall for me is a monthly fee. I can afford it, but being in college I have to buget my money wisely.

I have over 1500 songs on my iPod so I have diversity in music there as well. I can change it up with the click of a button. I dont get to hear new releases which sucks but oh well. Either way, both are a good decision, but if it were me and I could afford it, Id go with sat. radio. Really cant go wrong with it
Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn't seam so hard of a decision to me. I say, go with a Pioneer Inno. you can store mp3's as well as save songs from the sat radio. Plus it's a live feed. not requiring you to record to listen. and you can find them on the net for about the same price of an ipod if not cheaper.

plus with an ipod, you may not have to pay for a monthly service, but you'll have to pay for the songs you download right? sure you could download them illegally, and risk it. and if you buy a new cd, that's still 10-20 bucks depending on where you buy it from.

i'm for sat radio. i'd get one if i wasn't deploying soon.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have a nice sirius ready JVC cd player! but the other day i saw a JVC cd player that had a spot for a flash hard drive! That is bad a$* i have a 1 gig flash drive! now i just need ot sell my cd player and buy that one LOL
Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

30g ipod FTW..
Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned Sat radio for about six months now. I like the variety of music, talk radio, comedy ect. IMOP owning an Ipod is no different from owning CD's, once your tired of them you have to buy new cd's or download new songs and upload it to your ipod. I'd rather turn the key and go. If I want pure music I'll listen to cd's since their sound quality is far superior to ipod's and satellite radio.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
I am in the market for Satellite Radio or I-pod! Both can be used in house,car,and other use.
i sell these things for a living, and imma tell you. ipod all the way. they SAY you can use the satillite radio in your car, but trust me thats how we get some extra $$ outta you. yes you can put that in your car but it will be so staticy it will **** you off to no extent. that is where a satillite car antenna comes in handy. thats not cheap. dont forget the 13 buck fee everymonth for SR. But if your willing and able to go SR then go for it, it just sucks you gotta buy other **** to listen to it in the car.

i recommend ipod to my friends over SR.

but to customers i say SR over IPOD because they spend more money on SR which puts more money in my pocket.

its all up to you im just tellin ya how it goes..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Ipod if you have a lot of variety in your collection. I have a 30 gb Ipod and so far I have about 2200 songs on it and its not even close to full and I have a little over half of my collection on there. I have everything on mine from rap to country to Techno, etc. What ever I feel like listening to I just pick that type and play it. You can get used ones faily cheap thats how I got mine.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
i sell these things for a living, and imma tell you. ipod all the way. they SAY you can use the satillite radio in your car, but trust me thats how we get some extra $$ outta you. yes you can put that in your car but it will be so staticy it will **** you off to no extent. that is where a satillite car antenna comes in handy. thats not cheap. dont forget the 13 buck fee everymonth for SR. But if your willing and able to go SR then go for it, it just sucks you gotta buy other **** to listen to it in the car.

i recommend ipod to my friends over SR.

but to customers i say SR over IPOD because they spend more money on SR which puts more money in my pocket.

its all up to you im just tellin ya how it goes..
Now there's a bogus argument if I ever heard one. What you're talking about is the connection between the satellite radio and the factory stereo system. If you use the built-in FM modulator you will get terrible sound quality (when you can hear it through the static and interference) - that part is true. However, it's also true for the iPod. Either a satellite radio or an iPod will have to be connected to the factory system somehow and that connection is going to have a big impact on sound quality. So you can't say one is better than the other because of the connection - both can use the same kinds of connections.

The worst connection type is the wireless FM modulator. This is built-in to most satellite radios and is an add-on for the iPod. It is subject to lots of interference from local FM stations and tends to suffer from static.

Hard-wired FM modulators are considerably better but still not great. They connect directly into the antenna cable to virtually eliminate static and are designed to cut off the factory antenna when in use to prevent interference. The sound quality is equivalent to that of a strong local FM station.

Next you have cassette adapters. They have very good sound quality without interference although you will sometimes hear a low level hiss (like tape) during quiet portions of music. Cassette units don't have the dynamic range of CDs so you will lose a little at both the top and bottom ends. Overall though, they are a very good and inexpensive connection if you have a cassette player.

The best connection is a direct auxiliary input. Many new cars come with these built-in and F-bodies can add one with an adapter from PIE, PAC or USA Spec (works with all cassette head units but only 2000 and newer CD head units). The sound quality is not CD quality only because of the compression used either in broadcasting the satellite signal or when saving MP3s on the iPod.

Now, as far as cost...you can get a satellite radio for $50 complete with car antenna, mount, and power supply. Add a PIE GM9-AUX adapter for about $65 and you've got everything you need for good sound. A 30GB iPod is about $250 and you still have to add some kind of connector so the initial cost is much cheaper for satellite radio. The monthly cost is the real difference except that buying legal music for the iPod could cost a similar amount.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

See we have a philips 2gig mp3 player so i think we might go with sirius! Is it clearer then normal radio?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Both..
Get the Sat radio to find the new tunes on the radio,
go home and download them and put them on your IPOD for
music on demand.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Now there's a bogus argument if I ever heard one. What you're talking about is the connection between the satellite radio and the factory stereo system. If you use the built-in FM modulator you will get terrible sound quality (when you can hear it through the static and interference) - that part is true. However, it's also true for the iPod. Either a satellite radio or an iPod will have to be connected to the factory system somehow and that connection is going to have a big impact on sound quality. So you can't say one is better than the other because of the connection - both can use the same kinds of connections.

The worst connection type is the wireless FM modulator. This is built-in to most satellite radios and is an add-on for the iPod. It is subject to lots of interference from local FM stations and tends to suffer from static.

Hard-wired FM modulators are considerably better but still not great. They connect directly into the antenna cable to virtually eliminate static and are designed to cut off the factory antenna when in use to prevent interference. The sound quality is equivalent to that of a strong local FM station.

Next you have cassette adapters. They have very good sound quality without interference although you will sometimes hear a low level hiss (like tape) during quiet portions of music. Cassette units don't have the dynamic range of CDs so you will lose a little at both the top and bottom ends. Overall though, they are a very good and inexpensive connection if you have a cassette player.

The best connection is a direct auxiliary input. Many new cars come with these built-in and F-bodies can add one with an adapter from PIE, PAC or USA Spec (works with all cassette head units but only 2000 and newer CD head units). The sound quality is not CD quality only because of the compression used either in broadcasting the satellite signal or when saving MP3s on the iPod.

Now, as far as cost...you can get a satellite radio for $50 complete with car antenna, mount, and power supply. Add a PIE GM9-AUX adapter for about $65 and you've got everything you need for good sound. A 30GB iPod is about $250 and you still have to add some kind of connector so the initial cost is much cheaper for satellite radio. The monthly cost is the real difference except that buying legal music for the iPod could cost a similar amount.
Now, Saying my argument is bogus? how so yours seems kinda bogus. Dude if you can get a SR set up for 50 bucks show me where cause its sure as hell not 50 bucks where i sell it. And theres so much additional accessory crap that you need with SR. IN DFW you will need the extra antenna and then install it, which isnt cheap, or free if you do it yourself. If you just sit in in the car the reception is horrible as you stated. The ipod fm transmitter can be crappy depending on which one you get, the griffin one that does not hook into the car is crappy. now one that plugs into the cigg. lighter is better. still you are sacraficing sound quality. I notice with my setup though that connects to the back deck has very good sound quality. And about 50% of people download there music for free through some source. And about 3/8 of the people i see use limewire. thats always the easy way out.

but for the cheapest way to get the least amout of static is the 59.99 griffin fm trasmitter. I used to have it and bought one for my girlfriend. We go all over town and never get an ounce of static.