Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help! Guages, HVAC won't light up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Guages, HVAC won't light up!!

ok, long story short: was tryin to install some leds for the air vents, so i tapped into the small light bulb in the ash tray on the console for a source of power, both wires touched and created a spark, i think i blew one fuse, checked it and it was the cigarette lighter, turned on the car and the gauges won't light up and the HVAC controls won't light up either, i noticed recently that the horn doesn't work, ( i know that the horn DOES in fact work because when i press lock on my keyless, it honks at me but if i push the steering wheel no honky honk) i checked the fuses on the drivers side door and they all were in working condition, didn't see any fuses under the hood that pertain to the gauges, . . oh yea and i checked the bulbs and they are ok, and the little light under the ash tray no longer lights up, .. . WTF is going on? thanx a billion guys

james
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

I will assume that you checked for the dimmer **** being turned all the way down. Did you just look at the fuses or actually test them? The symptoms you describe point to the 5-amp IP DIMMER fuse being blown. Fuses can be blown even though they look fine so test it or replace it with a known good fuse.

As for the horn, it sounds like the switch contacts in the steering wheel might be causing the problem.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

lol, :joker: yea i checked the dimmer **** being up, . . yes i actually tested the fuses, i got this fuse tester and they all "light up", . . . i'll check that still, i was thinking that the horn was related to the short circuit i had, . . i said i recently found out cuz i honked at someone with a camaro z28 with a nice exhaust, . . anywho, . . thanx a billion for the info whitebird00, . . .
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The other fuse to check might be the TAIL LPS fuse because it feeds the IP DIMMER fuse. However, if it was blown you wouldn't have any running lights and I figure you would have mentioned that.

The dash lighting is a very straight-forward wiring circuit. There are no relays or electronic controls. Basically, battery power goes through the TAIL LPS fuse to the headlight switch, then through the IP DIMMER fuse and dimmer switch directly to the bulbs. The bulbs are wired in parallel so that you don't have the Christmas tree situation (one bulb burns out and all go dark). If it's not the fuse then the possibilities are really only the switch is bad or there is a break in the wire someplace. They don't even share a common ground so that shouldn't be the problem.

The horns are also a simple circuit. Power is sent to the horns via a relay that is controlled by grounding switches. The primary grounding switches are in the steering wheel but the BCM can also ground the circuit if you have a factory alarm system. Since your horns work with the alarm, we can eliminate power supply problems or the relay. That really only leaves the steering wheel switches or the wiring between them and the relay.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

damn, right on, . . for some reason my fuse tester was lighting up green when i checked the IP dimmer, . . turns out, . . that it WAS the fuse, . . i feel so stupid, . my horn still doesn't "perform" the same way, . . i have to push a lil harder and i get a faint honk, . . how can i fix this without the airbag blowing up in my face, . . thanx for your help whitebird!