Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Equipment on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Watch out for the guy selling scratch and dent stuff out of his trunk. You know...the ones where the scratch goes right through the serial number!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02:

- Amps are about the only thing I would buy from eBay. They pretty much tend to work or not and barring installation mistakes, they just keep on going. Also they are probably one of the most common things to be outgrown or changed out. Stick with reputable sellers and you should be fine.

- I would not buy speakers or head units because they have moving parts and tend to wear. Maybe I have had bad luck but pretty much every aftermarket deck I've bought hasn't held up well enough for resale after a few years use. Buttons wear, lenses drift, things get soft.

For low cost head units shops like crutchfield that include all the accessories make a lot of sense. For higher cost ones I'd still like to know there is a warranty in place, either a shop or a reputable seller to work with.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that worrys me about getting my HU from ebay is the warranty. IF there is a problem Alpine might not warranty the unit and I really don't like having to shell out more money to either have it repaired or replaced. I've owned a few alpine HUs and have never had a problem but there's a 1st time for everything
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My entire system is from ebay stores. Look at the feedback and decide who to go with from there.

I got all my wires and fuses amp kits you name it from ebay as well. Just make sure they are not making their money from shipping charges and you'll do fine. The USPS offer a bulk rate box for $8.10. Any weight.
I saved over $1500 on my stuff from ebay

If you want pm me and I'll tell you who I used. My system is in my sig. Bottom line. errr it used to be... Eclipes 8445 hu, Phoenix Gold 200x4 rms amp, Diamond Audio Hex s600 6.5" comps, Boston Acoustics g5 10" sub
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
The only thing that worrys me about getting my HU from ebay is the warranty. IF there is a problem Alpine might not warranty the unit and I really don't like having to shell out more money to either have it repaired or replaced. I've owned a few alpine HUs and have never had a problem but there's a 1st time for everything
thats exactly why i got mine from a very established company. even a local stereo shop may give ya the run around on a warranty repair (have had it happen...) but a place like c-field is sooo big that they pretty much will give you a new unit if the one you bought from them lunches out. not only that, but they give you thier own warrantee on top of the manufacturer's. that too me is worth alot right there.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

Ya, I wanted a warranty as well. Thats why I went a very established ebay store and got my unit for $359 delivered under full warranty when it cost 550-700 at a store with hi overhead to pay for. c-field wants $550 for my hu and they dont even carry my speakers. They are a good place to use for reference and to see what fits but you can save a bucket load of money from an ebay store over them and still get full mfg's warranty. If you have money to throw away then throw it this way please.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My policy has always been to ONLY buy high-dollar items from sellers who take credit cards directly (not thru paypal or some other 3rd party). That way you have leverage if there is a problem.

Never buy anything online using a debit/atm card. It's easier to fight to keep your money when the credit card bill comes in than to fight to recoup moneys taken directly out of your bank account.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
My policy has always been to ONLY buy high-dollar items from sellers who take credit cards directly (not thru paypal or some other 3rd party). That way you have leverage if there is a problem.

Never buy anything online using a debit/atm card. It's easier to fight to keep your money when the credit card bill comes in than to fight to recoup moneys taken directly out of your bank account.
Totally agree.
However paypal is safe to use. I had an issue with a vendor on ebay. I was buying a case of hotwheels. The vendor had over 3000 good feedbacks. I paid instantly with paypal and never got anything. Filed a grievance and was refunded. (vendor tried to fight it)They had no proof of delivery. And that is the key POD. IF they cant prove they sent you anything they lose. You need to sign for it for them to have proof.

On the other hand I bought something online from a real store and used my CC directly with them. When I got it it wasnt what it was supposed to be. I wanted to send it back and they said no return. I complained to my CC company and told them what I got was of substantial lesser value they said to bad. You got something and we have proof of signature. So CC companies dont always get it done either.