Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can cold weather cause fiberglass not to harden.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can cold weather cause fiberglass not to harden.

my resin that i put on my fiberglass is taking forever to harden. i added enough hardener but its still has taken awhile. its been about 2 hrs now. and the resin is starting to turn a green color. i;ve never had that happen before.

josh
Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Restricted User

2 hours and you expect it to be cured ?

fiberglass curing is very dependant on temperature.

I usually get 30 minutes to 1 hour of pot life from resin between 60 and 75 degrees, with full cure taking upwards of 3 hours. Anything under 60 will make it take longer, with sub 50 temps taking overnight to cure.

The only time I get 2 hour cure times is in the middle of summer, when I place the layed up part in direct sun light.

resin chaning colors is a natual reaction of curing. what color resin did you start with ? I use a premium blue resin that turns a greenish color as it cures.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

well i wasn't expecting it to be cured. its about 40-50 degrees outside and i applied all the resin at about 12:30. but its not a jelly like as it normally is as it hardens.

i used a kinda tannish/ pinkish resin.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work with fiberglass a lot at work and temperature has a HUGE affect on it. 10deg difference can cut the cure time in HALF. Just wait it out man.

Quick Reply: Can cold weather cause fiberglass not to harden.