Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High Output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I thought they used the stock sized CS-130D housing.
The B4C was the LT1 alternator which is totally different.
i forgot to mention the housing is bigger, i'm pretty sure its a truck housing because the plug is oriented in the same way, bolt pattern is the same however, but it is a 2 bolt housing (like the trucks) as opposed to the factory 3-bolt f-body setup (there is no rear bolt, only the two that attach to the alt/idler bracket). hopefully there will be no pulley alignment issues down the road. also, the size of the housing makes for a tight fit against the power steering lines, it took some effort to get it in but nothing really to write home about...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, it looks like the Alterstart, and maybe other HO alternators, uses the AD-244 housing.
http://www.alternatorparts.com/ad_al...order_page.htm
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
OK, it looks like the Alterstart, and maybe other HO alternators, uses the AD-244 housing.
http://www.alternatorparts.com/ad_al...order_page.htm
yes, the 200 and larger alts use the larger casing. He specifies that.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did he say which housing because I'm just guessing on the AD-244.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Screw those guys.

Cliff notes of long story :
- called to get advise on HA alt for ATI procharged TransAm
- was assured the $299 200a would fit, 'sold hundreds of em'
- several installs/reinstalls, I discover B4C alt housing is too big and causes interference with ATI blower pully
- call and argue with them, they finally say they will exchange it for a stock housing 160a and are reluctant even though I point out the stock size 160a it's being exchanged for is much cheaper
-I ship it back to exchange the one that they assured me would fit for a cheaper 160a stock housing alt
- they charge me $60 because the returned unit was supposedly "damaged in shipping", and they charge me shipping costs for both returning the old alt and sending out the new one (which I expected)
- the new one arrives with a note that says "warranty void" with their ironically useless printed test results - I find out this one fits great but is a piece of **** and chronically drops voltage at idle/caused check gauges lights on the dash/dimming lights, ironic since good idle charge is the reason I bought the f*&king thing in the first place.
- bought $99 new 102amp GM alt and install, problem solved.

I still have their $400+ POS sitting in the floor of my garage.

Buyer beware, if you go there hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Rob (Bad30th)
Damn, you have gotten seriously bad luck. Who did you talk to over there? They really helped me out, I even over tightened the damn thing the first day I put it on, broke the damn nut off, sent it back and they replaced it no problem. I know the housing is larger on the 200+. But even their 160amp is better than the stocker. If the alternator was damaged due to shipping than you should of filed a claim on the shipper. I certainly would of got my money back. As for the company in general. I did some research on about 12 companies, none matched their output power and they give you a 2 year warranty. Any alternator from any company larger than 200amps uses a larger case. I can list several on my research that said the same thing.

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator