Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: I have/had... (note: choose two if you have used both stock/aftermarket amps on them)
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by the stock amp and am/was pleased with the results.
13.79%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by stock amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
10.34%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by an aftermarket amp and am/was pleased with the results.
6.90%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by aftermarket amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
3.45%
been considering this upgrade.
82.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, mine came in today...

They're very well shipped, and when you open them, they're like little pieces of art. Beautiful pieces, no doubt.

I cut out my foam board for the spacer, and went out to my car. Since my speakers were long since blown (before I even bought the car) I took those speakers out and cut off the speaker wires. (I have a TA, so they were already 4ohm DVC speakers) I stripped some off of the end, and wired the speakers up with the super easy push terminals. At this point I went to my car to see how much clearence there really was..

There wasn't... The speakers are quite difficult to get in there, but I managed to connect the default "plug" to the stock plug/harness and put it in there without the spacer. This did take some doing, some pushing/pulling on the panel, but I got it in there.

..... Without the spacer. At this point I was thinking how difficult it would be to try and get that speaker in there with the panels still on, with a spacer in place, so I just left it. I drilled holes for where the speaker now sits, and screwed it snug. (I did not bend the speaker frame)

I tested the speakers, and they sound absolutely AWESOME. I know they would sound better if I installed them 100% correctly, but for the results I have, and the difference it was, I'm absolutely blown away.

If the speakers overheat/blow because I have the hole covered, so be-it. I'll be happy to purchase another set, as they're absolutely worth every penny.

As for B T's issue, well.. I have it too. The bass is definitely pronounced at lower levels, and continues to pound up around halfway (I would assume). At this point the highs take over and the subs stop getting much louder.

Cliffs:
Speakers are totally bad ***. Well worth the price. Easily improved my system by 100%.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting it in with a spacer takes some patience... .5" was doable with creative angles, I'd imagine a .25" spacer should cause too much trouble. I usually got the TOP part in under the sails first, and them pushed up while lifting the bottom up and over... some pulling of the lower sail may be necessary to create the couple mm extra you need. I found the passenger side harder for some reason, and took out one screw on the plastic door rail we run wires under, and was then able to pull the sail off partially at the door seam and that made for quick work after.

Glad the installs are going well though - I did not notice the volume issue actually - as my brother was controlling the volume most the time.... that's unfortunate though, considering how much more power these speakers would love to have. There's always the option of a separate amp in the future where ideally you could give them 125-250 wrms (http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ele..._7kv2chart.php)

As for the vented pole not having much space behind it -- .25" is preferred, but shouldn't be an issue. As mentioned in post 72 I think...it shouldn't cause any damage to the speaker as far as not cooling it/etc....especially with the wrms given by the factory amp. So for this application and speaker, it is more for relieving pressure buildup.

EDIT (because this doesn't deserve it's own post): thanks for over 2,000 views and 100+ replies in 34 days!

Last edited by fredmr39; 02-07-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

It's really not that bad, what I actually believe to be happening is that the power going to the subs continues to go up with the other speakers, but the other speakers are playing high notes which will always seem louder than low notes of equal or similar power.

A bigger amp would bridge this gap, but I don't know how necessary it is. I'm very happy with it as is.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know whats next on my list...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by presto_z
i know whats next on my list...
You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Are these only available on www.edesignaudio.com ? What happened to Ebay pricing?

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 02-07-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
B T
Launching!

I'm glad you got them installed and like them. ( in 4 ohms the D2's sound better than stock btw. more on that later.)

I kinda figured you/ or anyone else would enjoy the extra range down low and much fuller bass volume. ( I could only imagine how these would sound in a box with active cross and seperate amp with some nice wattage. )

..... Without the spacer. At this point I was thinking how difficult it would be to try and get that speaker in there with the panels still on, with a spacer in place,
>>>>

Are you saying you did not use a spacer?
I tried mine without and the rear side of the plastic mag cover would rest against the frame and I could not get it to "seat" flat and flush.

I also installed a small 2x2 inch piece on velcro, ( the soft side only ) onto the frame where the mag was resting on and not allowing the speaker to sit flush without at leat a 3/8 inch spacer, ( I was going to try a 1/2 inch but I was worried that the surround on the front ot the speaker would extend too far outward for the stock speaker cover without hitting it under higher volume levels....)

I know you say you didn't "bend" the speaker frame, but, perhaps you pulled the innner metal mounting panel "out" "bowing it" ???, I can see how that would work though....

Pardon me if I misunderstand this.

Side note: testing amp temps at the sink ( with the most trans. ) { yes I opened mine up for a look see } in 4 ohms tonight

What would you guys consider the max temp should be at half volume usage over maybe 10 minutes?

Please be serious with you numbers, as this thing runs VERY hot in 4 ohms with the covers on and in the fender well.

Again, nice to hear there is another happy ED fan out there.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
Are these only available on www.edesignaudio.com ? What happened to Ebay pricing?
Yes....sorry. Once in a while they have some REALLY good deals...those ended Feb 1st though, and most of their products prices went up due to material costs/the need to maintain quality/whatever. Even still...compared to most mid-bass/subs/etc with comparable specs, they're reasonably priced and well worth it.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 PM
B T
Launching!

EU-700s in the rear sails powered by stock amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
>>>
Just happen to check the polls...

Any chance the one person has checked in and let us know why "they" didn't like them?

thx
Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mods, please sticky this thread.

It's something many of us will be doing in the near future.

Awesome writeup, and thanks for the effort !
Old 02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
B T
Launching!

I know you say you didn't "bend" the speaker frame, but, perhaps you pulled the innner metal mounting panel "out" "bowing it" ???, I can see how that would work though....

Pardon me if I misunderstand this.
>>>
please disregard this. I'm a non reading fool...
Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B T
>>>
Just happen to check the polls...

Any chance the one person has checked in and let us know why "they" didn't like them?

thx
I'm curious as well....I should have set poll results public so we could track down people and question them since some may never revisit this thread again....
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

I'm extremely impressed with these speakers. For 6.5's they do get very low.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by melchoir
I'm extremely impressed with these speakers. For 6.5's they do get very low.
>>>
..... Without the spacer

I read again your post above, so you did not have to use a spacer just to give more mounting depth, so it wouldn't bottom out against the frame?

Maybe the mounting depth is different for the Camaro?
There is no way I could have installed these without a spacer just because of the lack of mounting depth alone. The magnet on mine would bottom out in the back and hit the frame long before it would seat flush.

I could see how running these with the stock amp and in this location wouldn't really require the spacer for rear venting purpose. But, I don't know how you were able to get them to even come close to flush against the mounting hole without using a spacer at all.

Any chance you could shed some light on this for me, thanks.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

I will try and post a pic whenever I get the chance. Flush or not, they still sound great.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by fredmr39
I'm curious as well....I should have set poll results public so we could track down people and question them since some may never revisit this thread again....
>>>

I hear ya.

Not too mention, I had already voted before I did this install and now I can't "revote" and say "I did the install and like it" grrrr.

Anyway, It get's on the BT meter, 9 thumbs up!

side note: I have the amp open and laying on the carpet with only the left and right heat sinks still on. ( please, no ESD jokes here, thank you.)

At 4 ohms, my temp probe showed 130 F just having the unit on and no volume after 10 mins.

With the volume up around halfway, it hit 160 f in no time at all.

Don't forget, this is with the amp case open and exposed to ambient in car temps around 80 F and not tucked away in the oem location with all the amp covers on.

There is a huge diffence in bass volume with these wired in 4 ohm. ( much less )

Tonight I took them out and rewired them again for 1 ohm , ( which I prefer much more over 4 ohms ).

I will still be monitoring the heat at the same spot on the sink. ( which is where the most heat in the amp seems to be coming from )

Tomorrow I will find out how hot this amp is getting in 1 ohm.

I have a feeling it's shutting down at a certian temp...
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Buy a set of the D4s and do it right man, then no more worrying about that crap.

With all the time you've put into checking amp temps and stuff, you could have probably made enough money to pay for a new set.

I'm very happy with mine, the difference in sound is absolutely amazing.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
B T
Launching!

Buy a set of the D4s and do it right man, then no more worrying about that crap.

With all the time you've put into checking amp temps and stuff, you could have probably made enough money to pay for a new set.

>>>>
Buy a set of the D4s and do it right man
>>
interesting that you would mention that.
I think the mounting depth on the D4's are the same as the D2's, so... one of my problems will still exist.
At any rate, based on my findings I'm quite happy actually getting the "wrong" set shipped to me.

I might have not been as happy with the D4's just based on what I hear in 4 ohms anyway.

I could buy another set, but I think what I have now will be fine even when I decide to upgrade the system.
Having an extra set of these laying around I don't think would help much.

then no more worrying about that crap.
>>>
I'm not all that worried, but thanks for your concern.

>>>
It's not that much time really, and I'm just more interested in what is going on rather than "just throwing things together blindly, without checking on things."

>>>
I guess we can agree on one thing.

Again, I'm glad "yours" sound fine to "you".

Enjoy.

Last edited by B T; 02-09-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

My D4s are wired in parallel, running at 2ohms a piece, just like stock. There's no need to check on things when the amp sees nothing but a stock configuration to send power to.

While you are correct about mounting depth, I was mostly trying to assist you in your quest to find the optimal amount of power.

The stock amp is setup for 2ohm output, and that's what my speakers are running at. You're stuck with the options of 1ohm and 4ohm.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 PM
B T
Launching!

My D4s are wired in parallel, running at 2ohms a piece, just like stock. There's no need to check on things when the amp sees nothing but a stock configuration to send power to.

While you are correct about mounting depth, I was mostly trying to assist you in your quest to find the optimal amount of power.

The stock amp is setup for 2ohm output, and that's what my speakers are running at. You're stuck with the options of 1ohm and 4ohm.
>>>
>>>
Stuck, would be a realitive term I think.

There's no need to check on things when the amp sees nothing but a stock configuration to send power to.
>>>
Perhaps your correct, I'm sure no one else would like or need the amp temps information, ( nor would anyone need a quick and painless way of quickly creating a spacer) or even consider it as an issue at all.

Quick Reply: INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)