Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

too much bass? sail panel sub question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default too much bass? sail panel sub question

hey guys. i upgraded my headunit to the jvc kr-ar550 which matches the red dash lights great and im really happy with it. i was given a used MTX self amped 10in sub from a friend. i installed it and it sounds great...in the front tho (btw other then that all the other speakers are stock) the only thing is its way too much bass in the back since the sail panels speakers just pick up bass. what do you think my best option is so it sounds better in the back? replace the sail panel speakers? is there a way to re-wire so they dont pick up just bass? thanks alot i really appreciate it
Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpr884
hey guys. i upgraded my headunit to the jvc kr-ar550 which matches the red dash lights great and im really happy with it. i was given a used MTX self amped 10in sub from a friend. i installed it and it sounds great...in the front tho (btw other then that all the other speakers are stock) the only thing is its way too much bass in the back since the sail panels speakers just pick up bass. what do you think my best option is so it sounds better in the back? replace the sail panel speakers? is there a way to re-wire so they dont pick up just bass? thanks alot i really appreciate it
You can run coaxials there, or some sort of midrange speakers.....if you run coaxials, you might wish to block out the higher frequencies (imagine sitting in the back having those at ear level....a lot of people don't like it from the front either). Easiest way to avoid the low pass filter output on those channels from the factory amp is to....avoid the factory amp, and instead power them off of the HU.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

An easier way is to eliminate the hatch speakers, put coaxials in the sail panels, and just pull the hatch speaker wires forward to the sail panels for a full range signal.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
An easier way is to eliminate the hatch speakers, put coaxials in the sail panels, and just pull the hatch speaker wires forward to the sail panels for a full range signal.
That's what I was thinking...but the hatch channels don't get much power... actually, if he has the Firebird he'd have components there, so the power there must be sufficient. Either way..I guess you don't want all that much power for the rear sails anyway if you want higher rang freqs only to "fill" it more. But....now if the hatch is components, that will require some wiring modifications to get coaxials in the rear sails and use the hatch's power wires.