Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine Type-X in a F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alpine Type-X in a F-Body?

Any one ever heard Alpine Type-X sub(s) in a F-body. if so whats your opinion on them? Any sub better?
I am looking into buying 2 12" Type-Xs in a box made by subthump.
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of better subs. The whole issue Alpine had with the Type X sub on debut sort of kept me away from them.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard the type x's yet but when you can get the "more proven" type r's (I know there are better subs) for around $250 or less shipped n.i.b for 2 12's why bother?I LOVE mine.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

I went with 2 10" type-r's. For the price, they sound f*ckin great. Best bang for the buck sub imho. However, I hear the X series is good, but not up there in quality with its similarly priced competition.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are going to spend that kind of money there are better subs. X's are great, but not worth the $$
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i spent 200 dollars on my 12 inch type x, havent put it to full potential, but it sounds great so far, this is more of a question that needs to be aimed at caraudio.com , they'll have much more input, the only thing I have gathered from that site is that the sub can hit the lows like nobodies business, but that they are very power hungry, in order to run two, you'd need ALOT of power, and one hell of an electrical system...
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Since alpine type-x got bad reviews, and they need a lot of power what other kinds of subs would be a good idea? Focal, Morel, JBL......etc.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

it all depends on what you like as to what a GOOD sub is. kind of music, enclousere space, $$, what kind of power you are going to have all factors in an this descion
Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
it all depends on what you like as to what a GOOD sub is. kind of music, enclousere space, $$, what kind of power you are going to have all factors in an this descion
correct, but if you're just in the mood for some brands, check out RE, the SX series was nice, IDMAX is good, for the cheaper stuff I personally ran a brand called alphasonik, worked great, and as stated previously, the alpine type R is a slamming sub for a great price, buddy has two of them I hooked up in an s-10, absolutely slams!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown00ls1
correct, but if you're just in the mood for some brands, check out RE, the SX series was nice, IDMAX is good, for the cheaper stuff I personally ran a brand called alphasonik, worked great, and as stated previously, the alpine type R is a slamming sub for a great price, buddy has two of them I hooked up in an s-10, absolutely slams!
Yep, I ran 2 12" SXs right after they came out. Definitely nice "street beater" subs. I personally think even one SX, MX, IDMax, Bramha, etc would be way too much for an f-body. The bass would simply be overpowering, which, if you want an SPL system is fine, but doesn't work so well for music. An IDQ, a RE, even a Tempest, would be nice for an f-body, in order to add some nice low end, but not overpower the front stage.

Buddy of mine had a pair of 10" Type Rs in his old T/A, and although I don't remember the amp or box specs, he mic'd somewhere around 144db on an older TL (not the new version). Definitely not bad. Think he was sending something like 450w RMS to each sub. They're definitely very good for the price and application range, and I'd be hard pressed to recommend another for the price (assuming, of course, wholesale/internet prices, rather than retail).