Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I'm desperate for some wiring advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I'm desperate for some wiring advice!

Well here is the deal guys…I just picked up a 2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 and I’m having a ton of trouble transferring the sub and amp from my last vehicle. In my last vehicle I had an Alpine headunit with subwoofer preouts, which was very nice. However, with the T/A I really want to keep the stock look, and not install a aftermarket headunit. My understanding is that with the use of a “Line Level Output” (converting speaker wire to RCA cables) I can use my factory head unit. So far all I have successfully accomplished is running the power wire to the amp, and grounding the amp. Everything else has given me problems. At one point I had everything hooked up (power, ground, remote turn on, subwoofer etc…) and had spliced the rear midrange speakers (+/-) on each side with the line level converter…..It sounded absolutely horrible. So I thought, well they ARE midrange speakers, so maybe my subs only getting midrange. I then used the sail panel midbasses (+/-) from each, and once again it didn’t sound good at all.
At this point I’m very very confused and frustrated. I’m pretty competent when it comes to this kind of stuff, but working with something that wasn’t made to work has got me stumped! My questions are as follows…

1. Using the line level output….where should I splice it into? (midbasses in sail, or midranges in rear)
2. Where is the closest source of switched 12v power in the rear of the car? (remote turn on)

I really appreciate any help I can get from you guys....I'd like to get the box built tommorrow (easy)...but i need to get it to make sound first
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd splice into the midbasses, as I believe the get a filtered signal for only midbass.

I've never had, nor heard, good results with an LOC.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do I really have any other option with the stock headunit?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somewhere online, ive seen a scosche adapter unit that hooks to the back of the stock headunit and has a place for rca's, but that might have the same effect as choosing which wires to splice the line level output to. its just something to look around for
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
somewhere online, ive seen a scosche adapter unit that hooks to the back of the stock headunit and has a place for rca's, but that might have the same effect as choosing which wires to splice the line level output to. its just something to look around for

doesn't matter where the LOC is located. they do the same thing in the back or in the front.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd tap in to the the rear channel inputs to the Monsoon amp. Not the speaker side.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well somehow I managed to post the same thread twice...with different names but anyway.....pretty much tap it AFTER the headunit, and BEFORE the amp....I think I can handle that. thanks guys
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, get it before the amp. On the LOC, there should be a gain **** or something. Turn it all the way down, then turn it up likttle by little and adjust your amp accordingly

Good luck
-Scott
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a problem with mine sounding like crap but i was my remote wire. I had it on the + side of one of the rear speakers, i have moved to and taped into the power Antina and have not had any problems since. Don't know if that will help but good luck