Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding mp3 aux input to 98 stereo via cassette slave?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding mp3 aux input to 98 stereo via cassette slave?

I have a 98 bose headunit, running aftermarket speakers and amps. Right now I have a switcher that pipes the mp3 player directly into the amps, but when the amps are set to the proper volume and bass it sounds bad when I use the head unit to play CDs.

I know 98s have the unusual radio that doesn't designed for a cassette deck instead of a cd changer so the aftermarket devices don't work. From what I've seen though once you actually have a changer installed you can actually just tap in RCA jacks into the left and right wires, since the head unit detects a device and passes the audio through.

If this is so, I guess the real question is what is a slave cassette deck? Is it something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stock...spagenameZWDVW

It seems to be intended to go into the dash of a truck, but looks like it has a changer port on the back. I know the car has a changer cable in the hatch, so I could just tuck it in back there, splice in some RCA jacks at the head unit, and have a nice aux input balanced through the head unit for ~$20.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Adding mp3 aux input to 98 stereo via cassette slave?