Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New 2 Ohm Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is an ok find from to present another option, but if they really are in the $200 range (still too new to froogle) the product really doesn't make sense to pair up with a factory system. That is just too much money when you are going to be held back by the factory h/u and amp.

It's a catch 22. The 2ohm specification is only a big deal (and not really that big of one) if you stick with the stock hardware, but a $200 pair of speakers makes no sense while using that stock hardware. The Alpine and Infinity options can be had for well under $80 online, and if you are really sticking to stock, they just make for a better fit.

Now if you have long term plans to upgrade the h/u and amp... then there are better $200 speaker sets all over the place. Kenwood has some fair enough mass market stuff, but their speakers aren't very good, especially in the higher price areas.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having 4 ohm speakers with stock Monsoon system is not a problem either. You just can't throw any old 4 ohm speaker in there. And you don't need to spend alot either to get better than stock sound out of your system.

You can't be obsessed with getting 2 ohm replacements, just because the stockers are 2 ohms. There is more to finding a good replacement speaker than just matching up the nominal impedance.

Are these Kenwoods good fits for stock replacements? I couldn't say as Kenwood doesn't give any specs aside from power handling, freq response, and nominal impedance.

I certainly agree that $200 a set is a bit expensive for use with the stock system.

I replaced all of the stock speakers in my SS with 4 ohm replacements for less than $300 total. I am very happy with them.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hitech,
What speakers did you use? did you amp them? I am putting some CDT 6.5 midbass in the sails and some CDT CL-6EX in the doors. I will be running them off my Eclipe hu until I get a 5ch amp. The sail are just going to be wired sraight to see how they sound and the doors I will probably be running new wires to the doors and powering them of the hu. I have been told that since they are a way better speaker than stock(if i use the monsoon amp),I shouldn't really notice any sound difference eventhough they are 4ohm.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Hitech,
What speakers did you use? did you amp them? I am putting some CDT 6.5 midbass in the sails and some CDT CL-6EX in the doors. I will be running them off my Eclipe hu until I get a 5ch amp. The sail are just going to be wired sraight to see how they sound and the doors I will probably be running new wires to the doors and powering them of the hu. I have been told that since they are a way better speaker than stock(if i use the monsoon amp),I shouldn't really notice any sound difference eventhough they are 4ohm.
You would notice less of a difference running those speakers off the factory amp than you will by running them directly from the head unit. I have yet to find any good reason to eliminate the factory amp without installing an aftermarket amp.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You would notice less of a difference running those speakers off the factory amp than you will by running them directly from the head unit. I have yet to find any good reason to eliminate the factory amp without installing an aftermarket amp.
Hmmm. I have been told otherwise. So,wiring them up to the hu would be a waste of time?Let me ask you this then. The sail panel subs I believe only have two wires, but the door speakers have a total of four. How would I wire the CDT 6.5 for the doors if they only have hookups for two wires? Looks like I wouldn't be using all the wires from the factory amp. I was previously considering the Infinity 62.7i,but I have heard that they sound too bright,but would be a direct replacement.I also considered the Alpine SPS-170A and doing the mod. I do plan on getting a sub down the road and was wanting to wait until I did that before I got a 5ch amp to push all the speakers. The speakers don't have anything wrong with them,I just wanted to get something that sounded a little better. I could just get a sub and a mono amp and be done with it. and leave the factory speakers.

Last edited by Red97LT1; 03-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to find any good reason to eliminate the factory amp without installing an aftermarket amp.
If you have 4ohm speakers and do not want to modify them, or somehow can't, I don't see a reason not to run wires from an aftermarket HU - you might get more power also if you plan on using just the woofer wires.. ?

62.7i's probably aren't a good replacement.. yea they're 2 ohms which helps, but I would want to use the crossover supplied*....which would mean only using the woofer wires. That's the only option unless you have an aftermarket amp...you wouldn't be able to pull wires from the HU either because of their 2 ohm impedance.

*still don't understand how so many have just wired them up without and crossovers, and use the statement "don't need the crossovers because the Monsoon amp takes care of that" -or something to that effect....
Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. I have been told otherwise. So,wiring them up to the hu would be a waste of time?Let me ask you this then. The sail panel subs I believe only have two wires, but the door speakers have a total of four. How would I wire the CDT 6.5 for the doors if they only have hookups for two wires? Looks like I wouldn't be using all the wires from the factory amp. I was previously considering the Infinity 62.7i,but I have heard that they sound too bright,but would be a direct replacement.I also considered the Alpine SPS-170A and doing the mod. I do plan on getting a sub down the road and was wanting to wait until I did that before I got a 5ch amp to push all the speakers. The speakers don't have anything wrong with them,I just wanted to get something that sounded a little better. I could just get a sub and a mono amp and be done with it. and leave the factory speakers.
HU wiring for the 62.7i's is not possible because of the 2 ohm impedance...I just realized I may have said you can use the crossover from the HU - I wasn't thinking about impedance then, sorry.

If you have 2 terminals, you once again......can modify your speaker, use just the woofer wires, or if of 4 ohm impedance, use your Eclipse HU to power them.

Infinity speakers are brighter from everything I have read, and the fact that the tweeters in the 62.7i's are of 2 ohm impedance doesn't help either........
Old 03-18-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

A friend of mine has a HIFONICS ZEUS ZXI8006 that he's willing to sell me for 180.00,it's brand new and still in the box.I think that I'm just going to get rid of the Monsoon all together and wire up the speakers in the sail panels and doors to it and that will take care of my debate.He's out of town on business for a week,so I think I will hook them to the hu and see how they sound.If they sound ok,I leave it.How do you think the sail panel speakers will sound running off the factory amp?The power ratings are pretty good for the amp.Then I can run the CDT in my doors and power the CDT midbass in the sail panels without any problems.I just didn't want to have to run all new wire,but I guess I'll have to.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Wiring the aftermarket speakers directly to the head unit doesn't gain you anything in terms of sound quality (the Monsoon amp is actually quite good) and you lose the power that the amp provides - not to mention the hassle of rewiring and then rewiring again when you install an aftermarket amp later. Use either pair of wires in the doors when connecting coax speakers and leave the other pair disconnected. Just make sure you use the same pair in each door.

If the factory speakers are in good shape, they will last longer now that you've replaced the head unit (eliminating the primary source of distortion) so you could keep them and just add a sub for now. Then you can get all the pieces together (amp and speakers) to do a further upgrade at a later time. It depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish. I'm a firm believer in doing incremental upgrades on a budget. You might find you like the sound from a minor upgrade more than you expected. And even if you don't, you haven't lost anything for trying.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wiring the aftermarket speakers directly to the head unit doesn't gain you anything in terms of sound quality (the Monsoon amp is actually quite good) and you lose the power that the amp provides - not to mention the hassle of rewiring and then rewiring again when you install an aftermarket amp later. Use either pair of wires in the doors when connecting coax speakers and leave the other pair disconnected. Just make sure you use the same pair in each door.

If the factory speakers are in good shape, they will last longer now that you've replaced the head unit (eliminating the primary source of distortion) so you could keep them and just add a sub for now. Then you can get all the pieces together (amp and speakers) to do a further upgrade at a later time. It depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish. I'm a firm believer in doing incremental upgrades on a budget. You might find you like the sound from a minor upgrade more than you expected. And even if you don't, you haven't lost anything for trying.
Yeah.I believe in doing things in steps also.I already have the CDT speakers for the sail panels and the doors on order,so I can't cancel them now. Will the coaxials work correctly with just using one set of wires?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah.I believe in doing things in steps also.I already have the CDT speakers for the sail panels and the doors on order,so I can't cancel them now. Will the coaxials work correctly with just using one set of wires?
YES as he said and as I mentioned, that is what I would do because I wouldn't want to modify nicer speakers. As mentioned though, use the same pair on each side....try each, maybe one sounds better for whatever reason - I don't know if they get the same amounts of power also....the woofer wires would probably have more, if anything...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fredmr39
YES as he said and as I mentioned, that is what I would do because I wouldn't want to modify nicer speakers. As mentioned though, use the same pair on each side....try each, maybe one sounds better for whatever reason - I don't know if they get the same amounts of power also....the woofer wires would probably have more, if anything...
So basically,any speaker would work with the way you mentioned? I can borrow a friends of mine 6.5 2-ways and hook them up to see how they would sound.Will the speaker be able to play the highs and mids with whatever wires I use?

Last edited by Red97LT1; 03-18-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

So basically,any speaker would work with the way you mentioned? I can borrow a friends of mine 6.5 2-ways and hook them up to see how they would sound.Will the speaker be able to play the highs and mids with whatever wires I use?
Yes, any quality speaker will work. Of course, different brands and models will sound different and the efficiency of the speaker will make a difference because of using 4-ohm replacements. So use your friend's speakers to test but don't expect them to sound the same as your new ones will (unless they're the same kind).

The speaker should play full range sound with either pair of wires. However, as fredmr39 said, be sure to try both pairs because we've had various people say they like the sound better using one pair or the other.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys,I appreciate it. I hear good things about CDT,so I think I'll be surprised with the sound once I get them installed,if not,I'm going to amp them anyways. The friend I was referring to has Memphis Audio HK65 that I'm going to use.Are they any good?

Last edited by Red97LT1; 03-19-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

i need new sail panel speakers ive got a 2000 trans am with the monsoon system and i am hearing mixed things on what speakers to get i was thinking about kickers but what would you put in there i just want it to sound as good as it does now if not better thanks
Russell
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hokie00 TA
i need new sail panel speakers ive got a 2000 trans am with the monsoon system and i am hearing mixed things on what speakers to get i was thinking about kickers but what would you put in there i just want it to sound as good as it does now if not better thanks
Russell

eu700s, IMO though...
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a 10"-12" and forget 6.5-7" subs, IMO.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys,
After much thought,I believe that I'm just going to replace the front speakers with some Infinity 62.7i (direct replacement,correct?) and get a 10" stealth box with either an ID or Infinity sub.Pair that sub with a good mono amp and I think that I would be happy,what ya think?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Find me another 2 Ohm setup that will fit in the door....options are very limited.
Image Dynamics CXS62.......

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1173

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/tech...e&id=chameleon