Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2-way speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2-way speaker question

Can you disable the tweeter in a 2-way speaker and use it as more of a mid range speaker?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
Can you disable the tweeter in a 2-way speaker and use it as more of a mid range speaker?
Cut some wires? (easier on some speakers)
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

yes. . what speaker is it
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

They are Polk db675 - 6-3/4" I like the sound, I just don't need another set of tweets in the sails.

I want to try it and see how it sounds, I just dont know if it will even work.

If they get screwed up..oh well, no biggie.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Any more input? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the crossover. If it's a component set, only running one speaker might screw up the crossover for the other. If it's a coaxial, it won't have a "real" crossover anyway and it'll be fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Depends on the crossover. If it's a component set, only running one speaker might screw up the crossover for the other. If it's a coaxial, it won't have a "real" crossover anyway and it'll be fine.
I was hoping you would chime in! Thanks.

It is a coaxial, not a component. So I will be OK? Just cut the wires to the tweeter?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

of course it's ok - many do that when treating coaxials as components in Camaro front doors (powering the tweeter and "woofer" separately) -- though the tweeter is still in use in their cases, it is essentially the same thing you are doing.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, you're fine. But keep in mind that when you use a different tweeter, you might make things sound too bright or too laid-back or something because each speaker system needs its own crossover to sound optimal.

But coaxials don't have anything near that anyway, so you may be good enough.

If you want to just try it, feel free and just let us know if you have any other questions/issues. Or, if you want, give us a more detailed description of what you're trying to do and we MIGHT be able to help more beforehand.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

If you're putting them in the sail panels and using the original Monsoon amp and wiring then you really don't have to modify them - there's no treble going to those wires anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you're putting them in the sail panels and using the original Monsoon amp and wiring then you really don't have to modify them - there's no treble going to those wires anyway.
Good point....depending on the speakers, also remember that the sails receive more power than the other speaker locations - probably between 55-75wRMS (EDIT: though your speakers would reduce this being 4 ohm impedace most likely), so be sure your speakers can handle it if this is in fact where they are going. If they can't, just pull the hatch speaker wires forward.

Last edited by fredmr39; 03-23-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

No, Monsoon most likely has a different crossover point than any pair of aftermarket speakers you get, so don't count on that.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well. You sure as hell can. If you use the speaker in the back sails, it more then likely won't blow due to having a higher impedence. 4ohm vs 2ohm stock. The frequency cut-off I don't know. But it more then likely will be below the cut-off of the tweeter. Combine that with the small cap used on the tweeter (Which IS A REAL CROSSOVER!! search the web for 1st order) and the output of the tweeter would be almost none.

So, just pop it in and see what it sounds like. You'll be fine and you won't have to cut any wires.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

i have eclipse 6 1/2's in the doors and polks in the sail panels...i dont here anything but bass comin from them b/c the old monsoon setup has a mids, lows, highs setup....i LOVE it...i have the 3 way speakers in the front and the 2way low in the sail panel....for just 6 1/2's it sounds pretty damn good!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

OK, Thanks for all the replies.

I am putting(leaving) them in the sail panels. I already have a set of components up front and these particular speakers in the sails. The highs are too much so I was going to eliminate these altogether until I thought maybe I could just try to cut off the input to the tweeters.

No monsoon in the car, all speakers are driven directly from an amplifier. I also have a BA 10" sub in a Subthump box so maybe these speakers just are not needed at all.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

I'm aware of what the capacitor does, I say it's not a real crossover because it's a half-*** POS crossover that only highpasses the tweeter, and it's not good enough. And first-order is almost never good enough in a two-way system.

Edit: also, to add, the crossover frequency CAN'T be low BECAUSE it's a first order crossover. Anyone who used the system would be blowing tweeters left and right, if so.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I'm aware of what the capacitor does, I say it's not a real crossover because it's a half-*** POS crossover that only highpasses the tweeter, and it's not good enough. And first-order is almost never good enough in a two-way system.

Edit: also, to add, the crossover frequency CAN'T be low BECAUSE it's a first order crossover. Anyone who used the system would be blowing tweeters left and right, if so.
Richiec77 is correct. The stock Monsoon system has "subs" in the sail panels and the signal from the Monsoon amp is low pass filtered. I don't have the frequency cutoff but as a sub I'm sure it's around 500Hz - certainly it's less than 1000Hz. Either way it's well below the range of a tweeter. All we're concerned about here is keeping the tweeters from adding additional treble to the sound which they obviously can't with the signal they would get. If the tweeters get damaged, so what?...we don't need them in this case.

Sorry XtinctZ28, I realize it's a moot point since you're not using the Monsoon but I just wanted to clarify.