Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What's the red light under the steering wheel to the light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007 | 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Default What's the red light under the steering wheel to the right?

I never remember noticing it before, but there's a small red light under the wheel to the right. I never remember seeing it lit up before, but maybe I'm just being paranoid and not noticing (I think not tho). I just had all that taken loose today when installing a sub/amp. It stays lit up constantly btw. No, it's not the security light by the fog light switch. I do have aftermarket security but believe this light is factory. I have a 94 TA btw.

Edit- Topic title was supposed to say to the right not light at the end :o

Last edited by contemptor; 03-25-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2007 | 10:49 AM
Banned

Pics woud help because that doesn't sound stock. Could be wrong though....wouldn't be the first time!!!LOL!!!
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm i dont have that in any of my camaros.. im guessing its not stock.. although pics would help
Old 03-25-2007 | 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea not stock...and caused me to lay in bed last night wondering, until I eventually went to the garage to search for a mystery light...

but yea, pics
Old 03-25-2007 | 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Maybe it isn't... however it did go off I think when I took the powerwire out of my amp. I don't know what's wrong, for some reason the amp won't shut off with the car, it just wants to stay on all the time. I don't have a stock headunit, so I figured I wouldn't have these problems. There's a blue wire, I forget what its called (friend helped me btw) thats supposed to connect to tell the amp when the car is on or w/e. Well, first the amp didn't work at all- apparently we had the wire connected to the remote antenna (I don't have one, it was blue too).

So we found another blue wire, and used it. The amp powers and works now, but it won't turn off when the car is turned off. The power wire is connected to the battery (well, the thing right beside the battery, forget what it's called). My friend that has done this to his firebird helped me with it, and wasn't sure what's wrong either. I figured that the amp wouldn't work at all if we had the wrong blue wire...

I might make another thread about this if nobody knows. I'll get pics if I can get a ok one with my cell.
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Can't see it very well but its there
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

should be a screw there I think....not sure, I have the other interior-style.... does it look like the light is in a screw-hole (does the other symmetric side have a screw there?) ?
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by contemptor
Maybe it isn't... however it did go off I think when I took the powerwire out of my amp. I don't know what's wrong, for some reason the amp won't shut off with the car, it just wants to stay on all the time. I don't have a stock headunit, so I figured I wouldn't have these problems. There's a blue wire, I forget what its called (friend helped me btw) thats supposed to connect to tell the amp when the car is on or w/e. Well, first the amp didn't work at all- apparently we had the wire connected to the remote antenna (I don't have one, it was blue too).

So we found another blue wire, and used it. The amp powers and works now, but it won't turn off when the car is turned off. The power wire is connected to the battery (well, the thing right beside the battery, forget what it's called). My friend that has done this to his firebird helped me with it, and wasn't sure what's wrong either. I figured that the amp wouldn't work at all if we had the wrong blue wire...

I might make another thread about this if nobody knows. I'll get pics if I can get a ok one with my cell.
Does you HU turn off with the car? I would check all your power wires first (switched, constant, ..)... Also - connect the power wire to the battery itself, always, IMO.
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:57 PM
Banned

Can't see it very well but its there
Yea...anything mounted in that location isn't gonna be stock. Could have been for a number of things.
Old 03-25-2007 | 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Does you HU turn off with the car? I would check all your power wires first (switched, constant, ..)... Also - connect the power wire to the battery itself, always, IMO.
Yes it does. Everything else is connected to the thing right beside the battery, including my security. It's pretty much directly to the battery :shrug:

And that blue wire is called the remote wire, my bad. I really don't know what to do. I mean it's definitely getting power... and the remote is connected because when I take it loose the power drops. Just for some reason it's not cutting off with the car.
Old 03-25-2007 | 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fredmr39
should be a screw there I think....not sure, I have the other interior-style.... does it look like the light is in a screw-hole (does the other symmetric side have a screw there?) ?
Don't think so but I'll check in a bit.
Old 03-25-2007 | 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it could be the led for the alarm.
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown Ta
it could be the led for the alarm.
Nah the alarm LED is right beside the fog light switch.
Old 03-26-2007 | 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

do you have an after market alarm?
Old 03-26-2007 | 01:45 AM
On The Tree

yes, i don't think it has anything to do with it though. it only lights up when the power cable is connected to my sub. No idea what it was installed for.
Old 03-26-2007 | 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, i don't think it has anything to do with it though. it only lights up when the power cable is connected to my sub. No idea what it was installed for.
I say pull out that plastic piece and track it down - we all want to know!
Old 03-26-2007 | 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

the remote wire is used to tell the amp when to come on, so whatever wire you tapped into is getting power even when the car is turned off, that is why the amp is not turning off. your friend obviously does not know what he is doing....you need to get a tester light, pull out your factory radio, or even the fuse panel located inside the car, and use the tester to find out what wires have a current going through them when the car is turned on/off. You want to find a wire that only has current through it when the car is on(tap into that wire), that way when you turn the car off no current will be passing through that wire which will in turn tell the amplifier to turn off.....hope this helps, if you have any questions PM me and ill try to explain it better to you....
-Chris
Old 03-26-2007 | 02:36 AM
Teching In

Sounds like an aftermarket alarm/electronic locking system. I know mine has the same light, but on the other side of the wheel.

and if your amp isnt turning off, you have something hooked up wrong, my buddy had the same problem, went through 2 batteries before he figured that one out.
Old 03-26-2007 | 12:16 PM
Launching!

What kind of radio do you have in your car. The blue wire is usually the power antenna wire but should not stay on at all times and the amp turn on is usually blue with a white stripe. Id say that your turn on wire may be touching a constant wire somewhere, maybe the wire from the battery is touching the amp turn on terminal on the amp.
Old 03-27-2007 | 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
the remote wire is used to tell the amp when to come on, so whatever wire you tapped into is getting power even when the car is turned off, that is why the amp is not turning off. your friend obviously does not know what he is doing....you need to get a tester light, pull out your factory radio, or even the fuse panel located inside the car, and use the tester to find out what wires have a current going through them when the car is turned on/off. You want to find a wire that only has current through it when the car is on(tap into that wire), that way when you turn the car off no current will be passing through that wire which will in turn tell the amplifier to turn off.....hope this helps, if you have any questions PM me and ill try to explain it better to you....
-Chris
He's done it to his car, we musta just hit the wrong wire. We hit two blue wires though (matched our blue). It does help, that's what another friend suggested (except you made me understand it more haha). I don't have a tester light tho, he'll have to get one from his house. I don't have the factory radio though.