Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What Company makes the best quality headunits?
Alpine
44.76%
Pioneer
30.48%
Blaupunkt
0%
Jvc
2.86%
Sony
2.86%
kendwood
6.67%
other, please post in thread
12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Headunits

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
Well now ive decided to get an amp first and then a headunit, since i already have a jvc headunit and polk speakers. Im gonna get a 5channel Hifonics ampZXI8006.
Very good choice Hifonics make awesome amps and the price doesn't bankrupt you either. LOLzzz!!!!
But why 5ch not 4? Are you going to run your sub with it too?

Hifonics Zeus ZXi8006 3/5-channel amplifier is a 1-piece installation solution to what would otherwise be a complex, space consuming difficult car audio install. All vital features and all the amplification needed to power a high-end car audio install with four upgrade speakers and a subwoofer amp system is included in the Zeus ZXi8006 amplifier. With the ZXi 8006, you will save stress, time, money and space!

The ZXi 8006 provides up to five-channels of amplification, 4-channels producing 110W RMS @ 2-ohms of real power for Front Left and Right channels, Rear Left and Right channels, plus the 5th channel, a 300W RMS subwoofer channel for the most pure bass you have ever heard. Alternatively, the ZXi 8006 has a 2 x 220W + 200W RMS subwoofer mode (@ 4 Ohms only) perfect for trucks, pickups and two-seater sports car applications. If you want something that’s truly out of this world, but is still easy to install, try dual ZXi 8006’s for a system that blasts 4 x 220W for the main four channels and dual 220W subwoofer outputs.

For those who are looking to upgrade a factory OEM "In Car Entertainment" system, the ZXi 8006 offers a theater-like experience with an add-on subwoofer system. Elevate the video magic, and discover new realism in music and video, with a road theater system centered around the ZXi 8006. With its integrated AccuCross control center, the ZXi 8006 can easily create the ultimate listening experience with clarity like you have never experienced. The AccuCross with its on-board signal processing makes it easy to dial-in exactly the sound quality and tonal balance you have always desired!
  • Crossover And Switching For Channels 1 & 2:
    • Variable 12dB Octave Hi-Pass
    • Variable 24dB Octave Low-Pass
    • ±18dB Bass Boost at 45Hz
  • Crossover and Switching For Channels 3 & 4:
    • Variable 12dB Octave Hi-Pass
    • Variable 24dB Octave Low-Pass
    • ±18dB Bass Boost at 45Hz
  • Inputs and Diagnostics:
    • Variable Input Level Control
    • Power and Diagnostics LEDs
    • DC Short Circuit Protection
    • Over-Load Protection
  • Connector Types:
    • Unbalanced Inputs (RCA’s)
    • Full-Range Line Outputs (RCA’s)
    • Molded 4-Gauge Power Inputs
    • Molded 10-Gauge Speaker Outputs
  • Crossover and Switching for Mono Amplifier:
    • Variable 24dB Low-Pass
    • 24dB Fixed Subsonic Filter
    • 45Hz Bass EQ Bass Boost
  • Hifonics New Illuminated Heat-Sink
  • Design With Blue LED Light Pumps
  • Hifonics Blue Illuminated Logo
  • Maxxsonics Illuminated "M" End Panel Logo
  • Audio-Pure Ultra-Fi™ MOSFETS
  • Low-Distortion Class A/B Amplifier Circuitry
  • With High-Speed MOSFET Output Devices
  • Fully Adjustable Accu-Cross™ Crossovers
  • 18dB Variable Bass Equalization
  • Dash-Mountable Bass Remote Control Included
  • Fixed 24dB Subsonic Filter
  • Pulse Wave Modulated MOSFET EXVP (Exponential Vari-Power Supply)
  • SPC Simpatico Twin-Coil Design
  • HSMD Hifonics Surface Mount Design
  • Line Output for Amplifier Daisy Chaining
  • Gold Oversized 4-Gauge Power Connectors
  • 1-year Sonic Electronix warranty

Amplifier Specifications:
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i have a rockford fosgate 12'' in the back but its being run by a shitty walmart amp so its not hitting to hard. So im gonna get the 5channel amp and toss the walmart amp i currently have. Cant wait to buy the amp and get it wired up.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hifonics don't put out rated power though
Their new 2000 watt amps birth at 1500-1700 watts.

Other than that, they're decent amps for the money.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Well my speakers are only rated at 40 watts rms, so it should be fine.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Well my speakers are only rated at 40 watts rms, so it should be fine.
Have a Hifonics 5ch in wifees Tahoe pushing all five it will rock!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I cant wait to hear it, cause my system now wont get too loud without distorting, and the sub sounds like crap.

too bad i have to wait another few days for the money to transfer to paypal, and for it to ship. Hopefully i can install it next weekend
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmr39
I had no idea there was an argument that you should only buy from a reputable dealer....hmm..
someone somewhere in this thread mentioned that you should only buy from a "reputable" dealer instead of a large retail chain, that's why i said that

I bought my current Kenwood Excelon new off of ebay 6 years ago, no problems yet. I bring that up because that feels normal to me, and I would expect it to last another 2-6 years easily.....what was the life span of your head units? The way you make it sound, it seems shorter than I thought (I was thinking 6-10 years was average??)
both of my Alpine units only lasted around 2 years each....needless to say that i haven't bought another Alpine since.

don't get me wrong, they worked great while they were working, but one day, they would just stop working, and it was going to cost too much to fix them, so i just replaced them. if i remember correctly, i think it was the optics both times, they just decided to go out, and they wanted $150+ each time to replace them, so i said screw it and got a new unit. after the second time doing that, i went away from Alpine.

and before anyone asks......yes, i did use the "reset" button to reset the unit, but it didn't help.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
someone somewhere in this thread mentioned that you should only buy from a "reputable" dealer instead of a large retail chain, that's why i said that.
That was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
And what i meant by that is........
You buy high-end Alpine HU's from RD and you don't buy 'em from Best Buy or Circuit City or places like it cause they carry low-end Alpine junk for mass production and they all suck ballzzzz. True story....
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kage
That was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my story and i'm sticking to it.
And what i meant by that is........
You buy high-end Alpine HU's from RD and you don't buy 'em from Best Buy or Circuit City or places like it cause they carry low-end Alpine junk for mass production and they all suck ballzzzz. True story....
ok......well it makes sense now that I know you were referring to the difference in model availability....
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Just bought the amp, hope it comes soon.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

I like my JVC it does everything I need, it's a little cheap looking but
you can put custom pictures and "movies" on it, the usb input is cool too.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I have a jvc lh910, and you can also put custom pics and movies i just need to buy a disk. But their pretty cool, i dont think i could go back to a regular display now.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

I'm thinking on getting this badboy now w/rear-view cam.
FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

FEATURES
  • In-dash DVD player with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels; CEA-2006 compliant)
  • Motorized 6.5" LCD monitor with PulseTouch controls
  • Fits double-sized (4" tall) dash openings
  • Plays DVDs, DVD-Audio discs, DVD-Rs/RWs, CDs, CD-Rs/RWs, and MP3/WMA files on CD and DVD
  • QuickSearch lets you find MP3 files on DVD quickly
  • Direct-touch DVD menu control
  • Bass Engine
  • BBE sound processing
  • IPersonalize with Data Download lets you create and download custom Bass Engine settings at Alpine's website, then upload them into the system
  • Two 24-bit digital-to-analog converters for full, detailed sound
  • Compatible with Alpine CD changer, TV tuner, HD Radio tuner, Bluetooth adapter, Full-Speed iPod interface adapter
  • Controls XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • Audio/video input
  • Rear-view camera input
  • Navigation input
  • Audio/video output
  • Front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs (4-volt)
  • Optical digital output for optional surround-sound processor
  • MaxTune SQ AM/FM tuner
  • 12 FM/6 AM presets
  • DVD frequency response: 5-22,000 Hz
  • DVD/CD signal-to-noise ratio: 105 dB
  • FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf

Last edited by Kage; 04-14-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Default Pioneer AVIC N Series

I installed a Pioneer AVIC N1 (now they have the N3) and replaced all speakers and amps. The AVIC N1 is a navigational system, CD, DVD player with a flip up screen and has the ability to add things such as IPOD, XM, SIRUIS, TV, USB and other attachments... I think this is the best system for my 2001 WS6 as it is very versitile... I am now adding 8 inch subs to the rear side panels with a modified pod... I will add pics when it is completed... NOTE: I did not want to lose the rear trunk space (what little there is) to put in a sub box as I have children and I need a place to put the T-tops in...
Old 04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

you should get that kage, their only $800 buy it now on ebay.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by USAF WS6 T/A
I installed a Pioneer AVIC N1 (now they have the N3) and replaced all speakers and amps. The AVIC N1 is a navigational system, CD, DVD player with a flip up screen and has the ability to add things such as IPOD, XM, SIRUIS, TV, USB and other attachments... I think this is the best system for my 2001 WS6 as it is very versitile... I am now adding 8 inch subs to the rear side panels with a modified pod... I will add pics when it is completed... NOTE: I did not want to lose the rear trunk space (what little there is) to put in a sub box as I have children and I need a place to put the T-tops in...
Not bad, their going for $999.95 now. But it's not a DD and it's motorized wouldn't be practical in a fbody IMPO.

As far as not wanting to lose TTop space just go with 10" stealth box, problem solved.

Last edited by Kage; 04-15-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

you should get that kage, their only $800 buy it now on ebay.
I know, i'm bidding on one as we speak with less then 3 mo. of use with $450 of extra eccessories.

"Alpine IVA-W200 Mobile Multimedia Station. 6.5 Inch pulsetouch screen. DVD-Video/Audio MP3/WMA Decoder. DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-VR/CD-R/CD-RW playback. Sat ready, HD ready, 18w rms x 4 power output, Bass Engine, Navigation Linkage, Full auto open close mechanism.

This unit was purchased brand new a few months ago for $1200.00 with accessories. It was installed in a 2005 Nissan Frontier for less than 3 months and I decided to sell vehicle. Unit was professionally installed and removed. This unit contains the remote, all wiring harness, Manual and wrining harness for Nissan product.

This unit also comes with a PAC TR7 bypass module, not pictured BUT it is included. This module bypasses the procedure and makes the unit play movies anytime, driving or not. The unit also comes with a PAC SWI-ALP steering wheel module. This allows you to reuse the factory steering wheel controls in your vehicle with this unit. The bypass module and the pacTR7 are BRAND NEW, didn't have time to get them installed.

BONUS********** This unit is also capable of having a back-up camera and I will include this as well. The camera is fully adjustable and mounted on a Beautiful Chrome Steel (not Plastic) License plate holder. When your vehicle is put in reverse the display will have the 6.5 '' picture of whats behind you. You can actually view whats behind you while you are driving as well, Great for safe lane changes!! You can see the plate in the Picture."

Last edited by Kage; 04-15-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kage
Not bad, their going for $999.95 now, but it's motorized and wouldn't be practical in a fbody IMPO.

As far as not wanting to lose TTop space just go with 10" stealth box, problem solved.
What;s IMPO?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

What;s IMPO?
"It's My Personal Opinion"
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah it will be cool to have a backup camera, and to be able to use your steering wheel controls.

Quick Reply: Headunits