Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Metal Heads in here... or anyone with fast music.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention, you could also do something like the eD 7kv.2s to go in the panels by the rear seats (they fit with a little modifications, nothing major). Those would provide you with more than enough bass for rock music, while the component set up front does the rock duty
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33

With those, or something similar to them, you can get a high powered 4 channel amp and you'd be setup well. Not as loud as having the coaxs and a 10" sub in the back, but still way way better and cleaner sounding than stock.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95bat
Ok this is what you're looking at:
SLC 265 - 225 shipped.
SLC 265 Kick - 280 shipped.

Those go up front, in the doors.
For the speakers that go directly next to the rear seats, in those panels back there, the SL165 coaxs are 150 shipped. So you're looking at $375 for a pretty damn nice setup.

If you want great lows out of a 10, I'd go with an IDQ. They're known for playing low and they are amazing SQ speakers. SQ means Sound Quality, which is what you want with that fast rock you like Like on And Justice For All when Lars gets the bass beating so fast, you need a good speaker to keep up hehe.

If you do decide to go with a sub, you can save yourself the trouble and just pick up a 5 channel amp so you don't have to wire 2 seperate amps. 5 channel amps can be more expensive than buying 2 seperate amps sometimes, but they're a little easier to hook up and look cleaner with having a single amp back there. Elemental Designs just came out with a new 5 channel amp they're selling for $450 I think. You can see it here:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=550
That would actually work perfectly for you. If you are going to do this setup sooner, though, we'll have to find another amp because that one says it won't ship until about June. This is like a pre-order I believe. There are other good amps out there though, I will look around at prices.
Now we're talking over $1100 for a full setup (Sub included without box though). So i'm just gonna stick to interiors without sub for now. Then when I save some cash up i'll make the jump for a sub. But i'll probably get an amp similar to what you're saying so I don't have to go back and get a seperate amp and run more wires.

How do you think the setup would sound with a sub until I get one? Using those Rainbow Speakers you recommended.

Do you think it's worth getting the speakers 1 step better? I'd much rather do that now if it's worth it.

What kind of boxes do you like? Ported, vented, bandpass, etc...

EDIT: I appreciate the 2nd method for a setup... but i'd rather go with the more efficient design. The Coaxials and Sub in back. Thanks though!
Old 04-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the total price adds up. You can put together a system for cheaper, but you said you want it really loud and really clear so I'm giving advice based on that I know when I switched from my old Dayton mids to the Rainbows, Beast and the Harlot (Avenged Sevenfold) never sounded so good hehe

I actually drove around for a while without my subs when I was building my box, it didn't sound too bad at all. I like my bass, though, so of course the subs had to go back in asap You can see what the system sounds like without the sub and if you like it, just keep it that way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that

You can get speakers that are one step better than the SLCs, which would be the CMX line. Those are $300 shipped I believe. They take a little more power, the midbass will be a bit more detailed, and they will hold their integrity better at higher volumes. The CMX line also has the Cal 25 tweeter, which is supposed to be pretty bad ***. I've yet to hear a setup with the Cal 25 though. Most people say they're worth the price for the performance, but the SLC line gives me an ear-gasm already so I never found a need to spend the extra money on even better speakers

You can always add stuff as you go, even the rear speakers. You can go with the front speakers and amp for now, then add the coaxs in the rear later. There is no problem with doing a system in steps, most people do it that way since they aren't cheap

As far as boxes, I am a fan of ported. I listen to EVERY type of music, though. I like bass that will jiggle my nuts sometimes, but other times I like smooth, controlled, non-obtrusive bass. My setup does that for me If you only listen to rock and don't want big bass though, a sealed box would work great for you.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Actually, Im a Rainbow Dealer, PremierAudio over on CA.com. Dont know if Im suppose to say that over here as Im not a sponsor here. Either way you can PM for info on Rainbow. IF your not going to run a subwoofer, dont run any of the Kick versions. They have to be crossed over at 80hz 12db slope, as they are mechanically limited. The CMX sounds like it would be a good candidate for you as they are a more detailed set than the SLC, a bit better build, and not to mention the tweeter came from the Profi set from a couple years back. So you are essentially getting a 400.00 tweeter in the set.

If anyone needs any info on Rainbow or there car, feel free to PM me.

-Aaron
Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the total price adds up. You can put together a system for cheaper, but you said you want it really loud and really clear so I'm giving advice based on that I know when I switched from my old Dayton mids to the Rainbows, Beast and the Harlot (Avenged Sevenfold) never sounded so good hehe

I actually drove around for a while without my subs when I was building my box, it didn't sound too bad at all. I like my bass, though, so of course the subs had to go back in asap You can see what the system sounds like without the sub and if you like it, just keep it that way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that

You can get speakers that are one step better than the SLCs, which would be the CMX line. Those are $300 shipped I believe. They take a little more power, the midbass will be a bit more detailed, and they will hold their integrity better at higher volumes. The CMX line also has the Cal 25 tweeter, which is supposed to be pretty bad ***. I've yet to hear a setup with the Cal 25 though. Most people say they're worth the price for the performance, but the SLC line gives me an ear-gasm already so I never found a need to spend the extra money on even better speakers

You can always add stuff as you go, even the rear speakers. You can go with the front speakers and amp for now, then add the coaxs in the rear later. There is no problem with doing a system in steps, most people do it that way since they aren't cheap

As far as boxes, I am a fan of ported. I listen to EVERY type of music, though. I like bass that will jiggle my nuts sometimes, but other times I like smooth, controlled, non-obtrusive bass. My setup does that for me If you only listen to rock and don't want big bass though, a sealed box would work great for you.
So in your personal opinion... with a $500 budget for speakers. What would you go with? I do plan on getting a sub sooner or later. Depending whether or not the sound seems like it needs something to help with the lows or not will be pretty much judge how fast I get the sub. haha
Old 04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$500 budget for speakers, or speakers and amp?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

$500 budget for speakers, or speakers and amp?
$500 for Speakers... amp is gonna be a seperate purchase.

I guess $750-$800 budget for speakers/amp.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You really can't go wrong with either setup CMX 265 or SLC 265 in the doors will both be great.

You can get a Pheonix Gold Xenon 200.4 on ebay for a little over $300, or buy it from a bigger website like onlinecarstereo.com for $369. It will put out 200 watts to all 4 channels. It will be a bit much for the SL 165 coaxs in the rear, but the components up front will like the power. Only bad thing is that the amp is 22" long, so if you ever want to add a bass amp in the future you'll be squeezing things in because there won't be much room left LOL.

There are other options too, the Xenon 200.4 was just the first one that came to mind that can be had fairly cheap and puts out a nice amount of power. I will look around some more
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

MB Quarts Q series
Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you decide on a set of speakers?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Teching In

He has.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm guessing he bought them through you then? How did you even know to come over here and register? lol
Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Yes he is. Theres not much I dont know. Besides why not get em from me? Who else?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Refer to post 24
LOL it doesn't matter to me, I'm just glad he listened and picked up some Rainbows (assuming thats what he bought from you, since you're a dealer )

Since he isn't posting, which set did he go with, if you don't mind sharing? SLC or CMX?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Meh Ill save Aaron the packaging/shipping duties.

Actually he went with the Germs. Im sure he'll chime in once its al done..
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! You're a great salesman LOL
Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Just gave him the answers to his questions and within his projected budget. By dropping the rears it opened up a bit more financial flow for the frontstage.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll be easier to get nice power from a 2 channel amp too.

I'm not a fan of the empty rear though
I tried it for a while... didn't like it at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Actually a 4 channel to take advatage opf the biamp capabilities.

Sorry as a former competitor and a builder of competitor cars its in my nature to not use rear fill. It's just simply not meant to be. Although theres really no right or wrong answer to it, it's not my flavor. At the same time I'd rather him try without, then add on (if need be) then spend the money all in one shot and never know if he did in fact need to spend the extra coin.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Actually a 4 channel to take advatage opf the biamp capabilities.
Oh ya, true. Forgot about that.

Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Sorry as a former competitor and a builder of competitor cars its in my nature to not use rear fill. It's just simply not meant to be. Although theres really no right or wrong answer to it, it's not my flavor. At the same time I'd rather him try without, then add on (if need be) then spend the money all in one shot and never know if he did in fact need to spend the extra coin.
Yeah, its all preference. That situation can go both ways though. He might like the front only and never buy speakers for the rear, but then he'll never know if he would enjoy the rear fill or not