Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pontiac Grand Prix 2001 GTP Stock Head Unit

My radio is a bit different and im wondering if anyone has any ideas for me?
THANKS

Heres some pics of my radio

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/JoePearce1991/

I don't know which wires are audio. Can i just cutt wires from the plugin outside of the HU?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Problems with 2001 Impala mod - Help!

I tried this on a 2001 Impala factory CD player, no changer, no tape player. I had to remove the CD player from the head unit to get to the wires to cut and solder, but was straightforward from there. However, after this mod the CD player continues to play just fine with or without the aux cable plugged in, and I never get any sound from the MP3 player. My CD player cable was a little different than other pictures have shown, and I took a chance that pins 1 and 3 were right, but I don't think they are. I had the normal 14 pin cable, but also had a smaller 6 pin cable right next to it, both coming from the CD player. Has anyone done one of these and what wires should I use coming from the CD player? Thanks for the help, this site is great!

The picture shows the two connections I am talking about at the top left of the board, I used pins 1 and 3 (from the left side) of the 14 pin cable.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-2001_impala_stereo.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did this tonight... took about two hours altogether.

I mounted the 3.5mm jack in the empty (and absent) ASR switch:

Name:  aabe54ad.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  3a8beca5.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  c1aeaa6d.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  27b548fc.jpg
Views: 4653
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  7aea013f.jpg
Views: 6304
Size:  87.2 KB

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 02-18-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Follow up with solution

Originally Posted by bheston
I tried this on a 2001 Impala factory CD player, no changer, no tape player. I had to remove the CD player from the head unit to get to the wires to cut and solder, but was straightforward from there. However, after this mod the CD player continues to play just fine with or without the aux cable plugged in, and I never get any sound from the MP3 player. My CD player cable was a little different than other pictures have shown, and I took a chance that pins 1 and 3 were right, but I don't think they are. I had the normal 14 pin cable, but also had a smaller 6 pin cable right next to it, both coming from the CD player. Has anyone done one of these and what wires should I use coming from the CD player? Thanks for the help, this site is great!

The picture shows the two connections I am talking about at the top left of the board, I used pins 1 and 3 (from the left side) of the 14 pin cable.
Incase anyone runs into the same stereo as my 2001 Impala, I wanted to post my solution. I had an electronics friend do some testing on both of the cables going into the CD player while the CD player was playing, and we figured out that the audio is on the 6 pin cable, NOT the 14 pin. Left speaker is the Black wire, let's call black wire Pin 1, Right speaker would be pin 3. In my picture the 6 pin cable is in the top left of the board, the black wire is on the right side of the connector.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I know this is old, but I had to ask.... if my CD player is broke, am I out of luck for adding the AUX jack at all? It's the stock monsoon unit in a 2000 Trans Am, no CD changer
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

I think others have just hooked into radio input instead. I may be trying this on my suburban so I don't have to have a cd in.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it would be nice. The CD player in my T/A took a dump years ago, and I've been using the iTrip for the iPod, but an AUX would be alot nicer.......
Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Launching!

A little late but here's who I found the audio on mine:

"I had a stereo connector and hooked into a 12v power supply, you may need to run it off the car's connector. I made a probe by cutting off the end from an old set of headphones, and hooking the left/right channels together, and the left/right grounds together, and then each to a paper clip, plugged it into a female/female adapter, and then into a set of speakers. You could also just cut off the end of some headphones and probe using the headphone ends, just be careful because you can get some really loud tones. Put the ground probe onto the metal case of the stereo, and then tap each pin looking for sound"

I'd say it's the red/blue harness, probably start from the opposite side of the blue wire
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Launching!

I did this mod and am now getting the E23 error message. I have tried many different cds, but none of them work. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Launching!

From FAQ....

E23 : Communications Error
Cause: There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem.
Correction: Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, send the unit to an ACDelco® Service Center.

Are you sure you spliced into the correct wires? I believe some of the wiring can vary a bit in later models, and the harness can look different on a Pontiac, but pretty much all of them should be covered by people's installs in this thread. I think if you re-connect the splice and double-check the proper wires that will take care of it.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I have had the E23 error for years on my 2000 T/A too. I have not tried to modify the head unit at all, it broke all on it's own. I was hoping there was a method of adding an AUX jack without the need for a functional CD player. Your idea is brilliant Jason!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Launching!

The CD player does need to be working for this mod, it replaces the audio coming from the CD player with the MP3 player - it thinks it's playing a CD.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrmahone
I know this is old, but I had to ask.... if my CD player is broke, am I out of luck for adding the AUX jack at all? It's the stock monsoon unit in a 2000 Trans Am, no CD changer
Originally Posted by mrmahone
Yeah, it would be nice. The CD player in my T/A took a dump years ago, and I've been using the iTrip for the iPod, but an AUX would be alot nicer.......
Originally Posted by Jason Novak
The CD player does need to be working for this mod, it replaces the audio coming from the CD player with the MP3 player - it thinks it's playing a CD.
Jason - you are the "originator" of this modification, and I'm almost certain you know more about it than I; that said, wouldn't the answer as to whether the AUX mod would work with a busted CD player depend on *why* the CD player is busted?

For example, if the laser reading the bottom of the CD is faulty, but the CD still spins, wouldn't the head unit "think" it's playing a CD? Then, albeit the fact that the player no longer outputs audio, the AUX jack would subsequently kick in as the audio source?

Just throwing an idea out there for these two. Thanks for the mod, by the way.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Launching!

My car is packed away for the winter, but I'm pretty sure you need to be "playing" a CD for this mod to work ... it will cycle through the tracks and keep replaying the disc but audio is actually coming from the MP3 player. If you have an error code or something other problem that doesn't let you play a disc I don't believe it will work.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

I would have to second that thought. Usually when they error out, it seems to cut the output.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Did anyone ever figure this one out? Is it the connector with all red wires and one blue? Do I use first and 3rd starting on blue end or other end near faceplate? Or is it that smaller connector with all different colored wires? I tried using some old ipod ear buds to trace but for some reason, I'm not having much luck.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-p1020524.jpg  
Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well, it's not the 1st and 3rd nearest faceplate. THat has something to do with tapedeck. See this is the 99 suburban, tape deck in HU and seperate cd player below. Weird, when I put in a tape it plays tape fine, then I plug in aux jack and it scrambles tape sound. Almost playing in reverse. No sound from MP3 though. So my next guess would be the small connector next to it. Just not sure which wires. Any input anyone?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Not sure why I don't always get notified on new posts...

I did do an install on a Pontiac tape deck that may help, it was actually the smaller cable next to it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/7692848-post48.html

Different color wiring and slightly moved but it's worth testing
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Jason. Maybe I'll give that a shot. For some reason I couldn't get my test ear buds to work. Might have to chop up another set of wires in the HU! lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Alright, this might have been covered, but here goes. I have a 02 trans Am, without the CD changer, but it has the wiring and connector on the back of the HU. I am currently runnign a USA spec adapter, but the damn thing causes the battery to go drain (common issue with the USA Spec)
Can I just tap into the wiring for the CD Changer and send a audio signal to the HU? Does the HU need to see something other than just the audio signal to switch over to "Aux" I am assuming that is what the USA spec does in the first place.

Would just taking the HU apart and modding it be the best way to go?

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter