Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

somone said get it off the buy by the foot rack at Homedepot
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Cool, I put mine on the ash tray looks very clean
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice mod.. wish i had known about it a few yrs back. i used an old ethernet cable i had..... so easy even a cave man could do it......
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

just did it on a older 94 model cd player.. seems bench testing it i can hear the cd play in the background very faint and the AUX port it normal sound level..

What i would like to do/ know is if there is a way to either disable or trick the HU so the CD does not need to play and you can hit the cd button and it can be AUX without a cd playing.. While having the HU apart i was looking into how to trick the HU to know that there is a CD in when the little icon appears and play the AUX only.. I could care less if the CD player doesnt work at all because ill use the AUX most of the time..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Launching!

I can get a very slight bleed-through when I have a cable plugged into the player but not into the MP3 player, but that goes away when it's plugged in so it's not really an issue. Not sure the cause but others have seen the same thing. This could be your issue? If all else fails you make a CD with a blank track.

You could do this without a CD player, it would just be a lot more difficult since you'd use the same technique but with the radio audio. Most likely the radio circuit is build directly into the main board making it much harder to find the audio. Since CD players seem to be a separate module connected to the main board it's easy to locate the harness connecting the two and you know the audio will be on two of the wires.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried this yesterday with my 97 SS's Monsoon cd player, but the inside looked completely different than any others pictured. As best I could figure, it had a flat ribbon style cable. I picked up an externally identical one from a 98 SS that my friend is parting today and it was the same as the 1st pic in this thread. Everything works perfectly!! This is the most awesome non-performance mod ever. Thank you so much for this post.

I also wanted to comment on everyone's feedback issues. Long before I ever saw this thread or heard of this mod....I found that I got the exact same feedback problems everyone is describing if I plug a smart phone into my cig lighter port. Iphone & Samsung Fascinate both caused it. I'm pretty sure I remember my kids' DS charger causing the same static. The devices didn't have to be turned on...or even plugged into the charger. If the charger is plugged into the lighter I got the fuzz. My plain lil LG cell phone's charger doesn't give any trouble. LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Hey I have a question for you all. Have you guys noticed that the music from the cd player sounds louder than the aux input we added? Is it the iphone, bad soldering, or you all have the same problem? (well it's not really a problem, it's not much of a difference I can live with it, it sounds very good anyways)
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Default High pitch

Jason,
Great mod!!!! I love the idea and did it to my 2004 cavalier. However once I finished and just plugged in the harness I get a high pitch noise through the speakers. I have it solder to the radio wall and I do know how to solder I am J standard and mil standard certified. Why if I have it grounded to the walls would I get a high pitch from when I open the doors until I get out from the speakers. Also the noise gets worse with I turn on other electronics in the car.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

I did this to my 99 T/A today. Excellent mod, definitely beats the FM transmitter! It wasn't nearly as quick of a mod for me though as some are making it out to be (start to finish was a good couple of hours) but it was my first time soldering so that may have had something to do with it.

Originally Posted by 2001WS6M-6
Hey I have a question for you all. Have you guys noticed that the music from the cd player sounds louder than the aux input we added? Is it the iphone, bad soldering, or you all have the same problem? (well it's not really a problem, it's not much of a difference I can live with it, it sounds very good anyways)
I haven't had that problem..are you sure your iphone's volume is up all the way? At first I thought the music from my aux was louder than the CD player, but I played the same track from a CD and on my android device at the same time and the sound level was identical.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Works awesome thanks for posting up the info!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I just did this mod to my girlfriend's 06 Trailblazer which didn't have an aux in from the factory. I did this mod to the tape player and had to find the L & R channel leads on the circuit board. I shorted each lead to the head unit chassis until the left and right side speakers each cut out, and those were the leads! This mod is truly doable on any vehicle with anything that sends a signal to the main board/amp
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KipMaslonka
I just did this mod to my girlfriend's 06 Trailblazer which didn't have an aux in from the factory. I did this mod to the tape player and had to find the L & R channel leads on the circuit board. I shorted each lead to the head unit chassis until the left and right side speakers each cut out, and those were the leads! This mod is truly doable on any vehicle with anything that sends a signal to the main board/amp
Great idea to short it out! I may have to try this again in my suburban like that. Was having difficulty with it being a tape HU and ext CD player. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Got it! Thanks KipMaslonka! I shorted the leads out of the remote cd player and found the left and right. Taped into the wires and I'm good to go. Grounded to the remote cd player chasis. Sounds perfect. Man I love this mod!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 AM

i got an 01 cavalier. im hoping to try this tomorrow on the stock cd amfm radio.... when you guys are talkin about shorting it out, are you saying, while battery is connected in the car, and your radio is open and exposed, you just like use a screwdriver or something small and touch the first or third leads on the ribboncable while a cd is playing?? i just want to do it right the first tme...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slimpyman
i got an 01 cavalier. im hoping to try this tomorrow on the stock cd amfm radio.... when you guys are talkin about shorting it out, are you saying, while battery is connected in the car, and your radio is open and exposed, you just like use a screwdriver or something small and touch the first or third leads on the ribboncable while a cd is playing?? i just want to do it right the first tme...
I had cd player and radio hooked up and playing. Grabbed a paperclip and shorted the wires one by one from the connector to the case of the player. Note, I would not try this on wires that are RED, ORANGE, etc. that appear to be power wires etc. But in these signal wire applications it's fine.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

I did this on my car and it works awesome...but it only works consistently when my AC is on. So when I put my windows down during a hot day the whole headunit just turns off on me ,and then it wont turn back on lol. It seems like its overheating but im not sure how exactly this happens. The aux jack is located right behind the headunit....so yeah does this happen to anyone?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Launching!

If the whole thing shuts off then it sounds like a heat issue - if it was just the audio then it may be a solder issue. This isn't a new issue?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 PM

I did everything step by step on my 02 trans am and when I connected my HU it didn't work. The clock is displayed but the HU won't power up and play.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Did you check the RADIO fuse (#17)? The head unit has two power sources - constant (battery) power via the POWER ACCY fuse for the clock and station memory, and ignition switched power via the RADIO fuse for head unit functions.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I have a couple of questions..

Sorry if they have been covered and that I'm to lazy to go back and read through 19 pages of this haha. I read a lot of it though but couldn't find this answered.

1. What kind of wires should I use running from the CD connector to the jack? I saw where Jason said Networking/Cat 5 Wires. Anybody got a link or a picture to what they look like? Looking to do this, this weekend.

2. What is the metal stereo chassis that you say to use as the ground?

Thanks and sorry if they have been answered.

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter