Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013 | 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
No, the CD player won't affect the sound, the plugging in the jack mechanically disconnects the CD player audio and passes through the MP3 player
Your right, it helped when I removed the remote jack plug lol. Has anyone ever added an amp w/ a hi/low converter? Would there be any engine noise since the jack is spliced in?
Old 07-21-2013 | 05:00 PM

Default Looking for a slight clarification

Out of curiosity, did you cut the first and third wires and then splice or did you open the clip and connect the wires. From the picture it looks like you cut the first and third wires then spliced them.

Ok, I've completed this project and it works great. Although I put the jack directly into the faceplate, I'd recommend against it since it's hard to find space to install it that can be used once the stereo is installed.

The switch is radio shack part #274-246 for $2.99 link

I recommend using a piece of networking/cat5 for the wiring. I had planned to have use solid colors as circuit board connections, but switched two when I was soldering so you may want to ignore the colors. Here's a picture of the jack soldered up

Here are the details on the connections:

Pin 1 - Ground - connect to the stereo chassis
Pin 2 - Left Channel - wire from CD connector on main circuit board
Pin 3 - Left Channel - wire coming from CD player module
Pin 4 - Right Channel - wire coming from CD player module
Pin 5 - Right Channel - wire from CD connector on main circuit board

Here is the jack wired into the CD connector. Note my wires run into the face, you'll probably drill a hole in the back of the case and run the wire out there.

Soldered everything and taped it.

Old 07-21-2013 | 09:42 PM
Launching!

The two wires are cut, giving you four ends which each go to one of the pins on the jack, with the final pin going to ground

Old 07-22-2013 | 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Sorry for the repeat post. I would like to add an amp, will this mod give any altinator noise or feedback if used w/ an amp? I was thinking 25 watts per channel thru a high to low converter so I can use the factory radio. Thank you Jason & crew.
Old 07-22-2013 | 03:02 PM
Launching!

I've not had an issue, but you can get a ground loop isolator if you do
Old 07-23-2013 | 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Great thanks Jason, never even heard of that ground loop isolator.
Old 07-24-2013 | 11:40 AM

The two wires are cut, giving you four ends which each go to one of the pins on the jack, with the final pin going to ground

Thanks for the quick reply; I thought that was the case but wanted to ask for sure
Old 07-27-2013 | 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Just thought I would mention last night I plugged my ipod on one end to the mini jack cable to play music thru the Jason mod & the other end charging thru the cigarette lighter with no feedback or unwanted noises. Awesome.
Old 10-13-2013 | 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Neubie2
I read somewhere on another forum, of someone who tried this mod with the cassette, and to activate the amp, he used an old cassette where he removed the tape. Just so the spindle was activated while the cassette is inserted, activating the circuitry. Said it worked out good for him, so I'll try that out.
Ok this might sound weird but there is tape adapters out there that you can buy for around ten bucks you might get some hiss but I figure that it will save you breaking in a doing a mod you can buy the adapter almost anywhere that sells MP3 players/CD players IE Wal-mart, Target , and Best buy. Also thanks for the mod cause my dented beat up Chevy has a CD player only I'm thinking it will work well thanks again
Old 10-27-2013 | 11:02 AM
Teching In

Default Quick disconnect using PS-2 extension cable

Did this mod yesterday and it is working great! I mounted the jack in the unused ASR panel above the radio, connected it with a disconnect cable I fabricated from a PS-2 mouse extension cable. I am able to pull the radio bezel, disconnect the cable, then pull the radio with nothing attached. Due to the mounting location I can also pull the console without having to disconnect the jack cable. The job took me a couple of hours, but the results were worth it. Thanks to the OP for the idea and the many posts with refinements and additions.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-ls1-radio-aux-1.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-ls1-radio-aux-2.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-ls1-radio-aux-3.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-ls1-radio-aux-4.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-ls1-radio-aux-5.jpg  

Old 12-28-2013 | 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Did the AUX mod and came out great. I hooked up a Sirius radio to the input and installed it in the glove box so it's never seen. I also picked up a remote and it even works through the glove box door when it's closed. Ran the antenna wire under the passenger dash pad and picked up a aux power port and hardwired it. Very happy with the results for you would never know it was installed and sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-1527014_10202212681014792_34589484_n.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014 | 07:08 PM
Launching!

Hey guys I intend to tackle this tomorrow I have a question though....will the stereo be ok if it is unplugged? Just don't want an anti theft problem since I don't have the code to the radio. Thanks
Old 01-03-2014 | 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by EdgarB
Hey guys I intend to tackle this tomorrow I have a question though....will the stereo be ok if it is unplugged? Just don't want an anti theft problem since I don't have the code to the radio. Thanks
It was fine for me but I am sure someone will chime in w/ beter tech.
Old 01-04-2014 | 12:31 AM
Launching!

Carguy Did you take the battery off before pulling the stereo?
Old 01-04-2014 | 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I don't remember check Jason's write up. I think I did & the radio has a memory. There is a free write up to get your code while it is unlocked. U may want to do that to have it.
Old 01-21-2014 | 07:42 PM

Hey all,
I tried this with my 2001 GMC Yukon but it didn't work on the left channel. The right side seemed fine but the left side was music from the CD. I double checked my connections and still no dice.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Doug

BTW This is what my wire harness looks like. I used the black wire and the 3rd wire from the left.
How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-wire.jpg
Old 01-23-2014 | 11:23 AM

So I've done some more research and it seems like even with the proper wires cut (#1 and #3)and nothing hooked up to them, there is still sound coming through the radio. It's pretty faint compared to when I have the wires hooked up but still there none the less.

I'm a little frustrated at this point because I bought the PAC adapter about 5 years ago. Everything was working fine until a few weeks ago when my tape player started acting up. Now when I put a tape in, it plays for 2 seconds, switches direction, plays for 2 seconds and then ejects. I've tried cleaning the tape player, using a different tape, etc but it still won't work right.

I was hoping this mod would solve the problem but it hasn't yet. Hopefully someone can help me out....
Doug
Old 02-23-2014 | 06:31 PM

Smile Nice job, but.....

If using the Radio Shack 274-0246 jack, you must change the wires in order to get both channels working properly.

The wire going to terminal 4 must go to terminal 5 instead and the wire on terminal 5 goes to terminal 4.

The "outputs" from the jack to the amp are terminals 5 (right channel) and terminal 2 (left channel).

Without the MP3 plug inserted, the signal for the right channel from the cd module, goes in terminal 4 and out terminal 5 to the amp. When you insert the plug, it disconnects terminal 4 (and the signal from the cd) and the MP3 signal instead,goes straight through and to the amp on terminal 5.

The process is similar with terminals 3 and two on the left channel

Hope this is helpful,

Lou
Old 06-12-2014 | 10:54 PM

I did the Novak Jack mod today for my '98 Trans Am Monsoon radio and it works great, no bleed through from CD (I have a good ground).

I put the jack on the front panel, close to where it is in this picture (got the pic from another post). I plan to replace the radio eventually, so didn't want to make a mounting hole anywhere on the car.

I put the jack a little bit higher and further to the right than this, with the clear cover on the Radio Shack jack facing up and the wires facing directly down. The clear part is up against one of the clear panels inside the faceplate that distributes red light to the various switches inside. (I had to trim a little black plastic towards the outside edge of the faceplate, mostly because I drilled the hole for the jack too far outward.)

So, even though I didn't plan for it, when the lights on the car are turned on, the hole in the jack lights up red like the buttons and switches making it easy to find at night. And it just looks cool...

Just thought I'd pass that on for anyone doing this who needs to decide where to put the jack.

Old 06-16-2014 | 09:47 PM
Launching!

Looks good

[QUOTE=zxryder;18266333]I did the Novak Jack mod today for my '98 Trans Am Monsoon radio and it works great, no bleed through from CD (I have a good ground).

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter