Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 Vette. I know by tapping into wire 1 and wire 3 allows you to override the CD player for you AUX input. On the older HU wires 4&5 allowed you to tap into the FM signal instead. Does anyone know which 2 wires feed from the FM board instead of the CD?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

AWESOME!

just done this to my 03 c5z wire #1 & #3
Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Where's Jason N here?

I think a buddy on Z boards has accidentally found the solution to having to have a CD spooled up, to get the MAIN logic board to look for the AUX input signal...

His cassette carrier was stuck engaged, and I think that the CD 'carrier' grounding switch is probably integrated into the cassette carrier grounding switch circuit. He 'fixed' that, before telling me what he had.

Anyone else here found that solution yet?

Waiting for feedback from him how here........................
Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Not sure your system configuration, if you have a tape deck and remote changer it's possible to tap that harness without opening the stereo. It should be possible to modify the stereo to tap the radio inside the the built in CD/tape, but that would take a lot more work to find the signal source on the board, and would likely vary between board revisions, etc. It's a lot easier to track down audio for build in CD/tape player since since audio must pass through a known harness
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Teching In

No remote CD changer there JN; just the stock HU (with your mod (plus front panel mount added in ) ).

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Not sure your system configuration, if you have a tape deck and remote changer it's possible to tap that harness without opening the stereo. It should be possible to modify the stereo to tap the radio inside the the built in CD/tape, but that would take a lot more work to find the signal source on the board, and would likely vary between board revisions, etc. It's a lot easier to track down audio for build in CD/tape player since since audio must pass through a known harness
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_6665.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I want to thank Jason and all the other people who posted on this thread for all the help and information made this install very easy.

I only removed the face nothing else on radio taken apart

Unplugged the connector and made the necessary cutting and soldering

Basic soldering to plug

Just enough space in this area to fit the jack (with some trimming inside). Gives this mod the oem look.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Nice
Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM

I have a simpler to install, and more efficient solution. No need for the CD to be always spinning, and less wiring/soldering. Should work with all similar models, one way or another: if the pinout is different, just hook up the 3 audio signal wires, then try the #7 for switch -if it doesn't work, reconnect it and try each other wire individually, will do no harm.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...st-method.html
Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I did this mod today and it's not working. The tape deck doesn't work and as soon as I put a tape in it just spits the tape back out. Is there another way? I thought I tapped off the correct wires did I do something wrong? And even when I put the CD player back on it doesn't play the iPod only the cd. Did I do something wrong?

The stock deck in my99 burb

And the switch I'm using

Help me please. The dash is still torn apart
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-image.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-image.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-image.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-20-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Got it figured out
Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Too bad it took so long for me to find this thread.

Since I have the changer, I'll patch into it's wiring rather than opening up the HU. Here's what I confirmed based on earlier posts in this thread.

Where does the changer harness run under the carpet, down the center console? Might be easier to patch in along the way...

Old 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I pulled the HU and splice the jack into the CD changer wiring behind it.

It can still faintly hear the audio playing from the CD changer with the Ipod plugged in.

As some had suggested, I made a silent audio CD and it work great.

If you want to burn your own CD, download this mp3 file and burn an audio CD with it and it should give you almost 80 min of silent.

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/896955/file.html file is ~73 mb
Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I posted snappics to F/B C4 vette page. Made sure to post credit to J Novak for original mod
Old 01-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Teching In

In following this thread it appears that the radio can not be newer than a '98 based on thread dating. The factory radio in my '02 Z28 monsoon is not the same - but tried this anyway - it does not work. I'm assuming that per other comments on controlling the radio with the remote jack, that '00 - '02 won't work with these directions. The wiring header is wired backwards from this one and there is a 3 conductor shielded cable (red, white and black plus shield) in place of the 4 white wires shown. I say certainly the 1st and 3rd wire don't work on the newer radios. If I could GUESS, I'd say the audio wires are the red and white wires as that is the industry standard now, but who knows what GM was thinking - they didn't even have enough foresight to do this themselves.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by deble
In following this thread it appears that the radio can not be newer than a '98 based on thread dating. The factory radio in my '02 Z28 monsoon is not the same - but tried this anyway - it does not work. I'm assuming that per other comments on controlling the radio with the remote jack, that '00 - '02 won't work with these directions. The wiring header is wired backwards from this one and there is a 3 conductor shielded cable (red, white and black plus shield) in place of the 4 white wires shown. I say certainly the 1st and 3rd wire don't work on the newer radios. If I could GUESS, I'd say the audio wires are the red and white wires as that is the industry standard now, but who knows what GM was thinking - they didn't even have enough foresight to do this themselves.
Did it in my 2001 Trans Am, my friend's 2002 Trans Am, and my old 1999 Z28. Works perfectly.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought everything and attempted to do this today, but I could not figure out how to get my head unit apart! I was able to get the things that look like cooling fans off of one side, but this only allowed me too see what I needed to get to, as the wires were too far away to be able to mess with them . I have a 1999 firebird formula with the monsoon system, no tape deck, and no cd changer. My radio looks exactly like SickTa's in the above post (post #606). I thought about trying to take just the face plate off, but couldn't figure out a way to do that either. If anyone could explain how to take my head unit apart (pictures would be great too), I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Last edited by 1995_maro_z; 04-20-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
I bought everything and attempted to do this today, but I could not figure out how to get my head unit apart! I was able to get the things that look like cooling fans off of one side, but this only allowed me too see what I needed to get to, as the wires were too far away to be able to mess with them . I have a 1999 firebird formula with the monsoon system, no tape deck, and no cd changer. My radio looks exactly like SickTa's in the above post (post #606). I thought about trying to take just the face plate off, but couldn't figure out a way to do that either. If anyone could explain how to take my head unit apart (pictures would be great too), I would be EXTREMELY grateful.
I can say for sure on your model, but you're taking off the plate from the bottom of the stereo, like two screws on the back, one by the antenna, one by the main harness, and then one that goes down into the heat sink. You do have to pry it a little bit because it's also held in place with some tabs.

To get the front panel off you need to pull off the tuner **** and take off the nut. There is also a nut on the volume, but it's part of the faceplate so if I recall it doesn't need to come off. It's a lot easier to work taking the bottom plate off though. Someone else may have more details on your exact model
Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can say for sure on your model, but you're taking off the plate from the bottom of the stereo, like two screws on the back, one by the antenna, one by the main harness, and then one that goes down into the heat sink. You do have to pry it a little bit because it's also held in place with some tabs.

To get the front panel off you need to pull off the tuner **** and take off the nut. There is also a nut on the volume, but it's part of the faceplate so if I recall it doesn't need to come off. It's a lot easier to work taking the bottom plate off though. Someone else may have more details on your exact model
I was able to get the bottom plate off, but that only gave me access to the bottom of the circuit board. It seemed as if the rest of the outside casing was one piece (except the face).
Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Launching!

The splicing should all be done on the bottom, you should see the connectors there. You can take off the top, but that really just exposes the top of the CD/tape unit. If you plan to install the jack in the faceplate you'll need to take it off, that's the nut under the volume, and some plastic clips on the edges holding it to the chassis
Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The splicing should all be done on the bottom, you should see the connectors there. You can take off the top, but that really just exposes the top of the CD/tape unit. If you plan to install the jack in the faceplate you'll need to take it off, that's the nut under the volume, and some plastic clips on the edges holding it to the chassis
I meant that when I took the bottom plate off and saw the circuit board that there were no wires to splice into. All of the wires and stuff were on the other side of the circuit board. I can't figure out how to get to the other side of the cicuit board so that i can splice into the wires. Once I took the heat thing off, that opened up one side, but the wires for the CD stuff were on the other side or the radio.

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter