Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Just want to say, thanks Jason! mine still works great since you modded it, I have recently upgraded to a blue tooth audio dongle input so I can skip being plugged in when I want my mp3's.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Just want to say, thanks Jason! mine still works great since you modded it, I have recently upgraded to a blue tooth audio dongle input so I can skip being plugged in when I want my mp3's.
Thanks, I remember doing that ... good to hear
Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my monsoon head unit out to do this mod tonight and found something completely different from what I expected from the guides. I went in from the bottom, pulled off the metal plate, took out the screws, pulled the front bezel and lifted off the board and found this. Am I still able to do the mod from the look of this? The best I can tell is that my connector is all red wires where everyone else's is all white or white/black.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Yes, it should still work fine - the red/blue wire seems to be more common on Pontiac. There are some examples in this thread, like post #99, it should be the same pins, 1 & 3 opposite the off color wire.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Yes, it should still work fine - the red/blue wire seems to be more common on Pontiac. There are some examples in this thread, like post #99, it should be the same pins, 1 & 3 opposite the off color wire.
Thanks for the quick info Jason. I was just iffy because of the color and visual difference. I checked out that post and it's just like my board. I will start cutting and having fun posthaste! Hope it turns out well.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Thanks for the quick info Jason. I was just iffy because of the color and visual difference. I checked out that post and it's just like my board. I will start cutting and having fun posthaste! Hope it turns out well.

Thanks!
You'll be fine, that's how mine looked and it works great.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I'm wiring it as we speak
Old 06-21-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Got it done and spent nearly an hour just sitting in the car listening to pandora.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Anybody interested in me shipping them my HU and paying you to do the work?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ky_Dragracer
Anybody interested in me shipping them my HU and paying you to do the work?
Sure, it is less than an hours worth of work to get it all done.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can do them as well
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Hello Jason and all, my first post.

I registered to thank you for the Aux mod to the HU. It works great and I can finally eliminate the coasters and band radio interference. Slacker radio, Pandora and playlist have been my road rage remedy stuck in traffic. Here are two pic's of the outcome.

Everything was cat5 wired, heat shrunk and counter sink hole to accommodate the nut to the plug nice and flush. Haha the HU has bling now. Holla!

Name:  IMG_2478.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2479.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  90.0 KB
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bridgford
Greetings,

I have an '02 GMC Sonoma with a radio that looks like the one vw86gti had earlier in this thread. Since this thread was the motivation for my proceeding with the hacking of my radio, I have attached a pdf of the process I used to put an auxiliary input jack in the face of the radio. Hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Dale
followed this write up..i have a 2002 chevy impala with the same stereo....only difference is that my black wire is on the right side instead of the left...attached to 1 and 3 on both sides...but when i plug in my aux jack....my radio says "check cd" and kicks the cd out and never gives me any audio from my device...can anyone help me out...really want to get this to work....already bought the pac gm aux12 unit but wont work on my stereo because i have an inactive slave unit...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mtrollinger
followed this write up..i have a 2002 chevy impala with the same stereo....only difference is that my black wire is on the right side instead of the left...attached to 1 and 3 on both sides...but when i plug in my aux jack....my radio says "check cd" and kicks the cd out and never gives me any audio from my device...can anyone help me out...really want to get this to work....already bought the pac gm aux12 unit but wont work on my stereo because i have an inactive slave unit...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance
You don't want to go by the colors since they can vary, but the pins should always be 1 and 3 on the one side. The picture in my first post is an earlier model where the left/right and both white and the black on the far side isn't used. Newer models the pin one in the same position is black instead of white. Do you have a picture?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 AM

yea bridgford attached a pdf which had the same stereo as mine...14 pins all wires white except 1...in that pdf his black wire was to the left which he used as pin 1...i used the same side as pin 1 but my black wire was to the right...got absolutely no effect when plugged in...so i used my black wire as 1 on the other side....which would have been pin 14 in the pdf....wired it up plugged it in....cd plays but when i goto plug into the audio jack...displays says check cd and spits my cd out...should i be playing a blank audio cd?

bridgford's pdf write up is on page 26 i believe

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-25-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Looked at the file, didn't recall it being done to a model looking like that, but the board looks very similar and it sounds like the pins are the same.

What's in the player shouldn't matter, as long as it plays. Likely the CD player wouldn't even know if they left/right channel wires were completely. You'll know you have the right wires if the CD player still has audio when nothing is plugged in. It sounds like you have the wrong pins and some other vital data wire is being bypassed when you plug in the jack, causing the error. I'd recommend probing the connector yourself to find the audio, I did it using a set of old headphones with the end cut off, putting the ground to chassis and probes each wire on the connector until you hear music.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks jay...i will give it a try
Old 07-26-2014, 01:23 PM

My cd player audio does play when nothing is plugged in...its when i plug in i get the message "check cd" and the player kicks it out...going do the earphone probe tomorrow
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did this on my 1998 Tahoe with a Delco cassette deck and slave/remote CD. I cut into the 9-pin harness coming out of the back of the slave CD unit instead of tying into any of the internal wires in the deck or CD. These are the pin-outs:
A: Blue - Accessory
B: Gray - Dimmer
C: Bare - Grounded signal
D: Green - Right audio <----- You want this wire
E: Orange/Black - Left audio <----- You want this wire
F: Tan - Audio common
G: Black - Ground (voltage/chassis)
H: Green - Data wire
J: Orange - 12v constant

Note: other vehicles may be different

Cut the Orange with black stripe, and Green for left and right audio.
Run pin 2 from the 3.5mm jack to the main deck side of the cut Orange/black wire,
Run pin 3 from the 3.5mm jack to the slave CD side of the cut Orange/black wire,
Run pin 4 from the 3.5mm jack to the slave CD side of the cut Green wire,
Run pin 5 from the 3.5mm jack to the main deck side of the cut Green wire,
For ground (coming from pin 1 of the 3.5mm jack), I connected to one of the small CD chassis/case screws on the back.

I mounted the jack on the plastic face plate of the slave CD player (just to the left of the Compact Disc logo towards the middle)

Solder and tape everything, and that's it. Yes, you need a CD playing for the aux input jack to work, but the beauty of this particular 3.5mm jack is that it cuts the CD audio and replaces it with the aux input audio, until you unplug it.

This should work for any deck with a remote/slave component (slave CD or slave Cassette). I think the 9-pin connector/harness for slave units is the same for different models, perhaps just with different wire colors.

Thanks again to Jason for posting the basis of this mod!

I went with the PAC ipod-2-car interface in my Camaro because I wanted charging capability, and the ability to control my iPod with the deck and steering wheel controls.

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter