Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Where are you getting your ground from? Recommended is the stereo chassis. Otherwise there may be additional audio, probing as you mention should find it
stereo chasis ground. I probe by grounding 1 speaker wire on the headphones and touching the other to the pins correct?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Default Just wondering, would it be possible to have it take over the fm tuner

After extensive search, can't find consistent answer

Some have done it, others say it wont work

If it can work, where do I tap into?

Thanks

RT

BTW, I have a 2002 T/A with single CD

I'm trying to keep this mod real simple for my wifes sake
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

lots of posts on that, seems to be different for different radios. Some say 4th and 5th. I used a earphone and was able to find that my 1st and 3rd are indeed CD inputs and couldn't find additional ones. I think there is a sep cable since I have a bose.

With regards to my FM I probed my 4th and 5th wires and did not find audio when the radio was on so don't know.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just did this on my 98 TA.... works great... had to redo it because i got a bad jack first time around.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Just did this today for my little project for something to do. Followed the op's instructions and it works flawlessly. Best of all it only cost me about 5 bucks. Those of you with grounding issues, I put my ground wire on one of the 3 screw's holding the top plate of the radio on. I have absolutely no noise or bleed over sound from the CD playing. Fit what its worth my car is a 00 SS, but when I took the radio out it had an inspection date sticker on it of 12/02. Previous owner must have had it replaced under warranty. Thanks for the awesome writeup OP!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i need a little help understanding something here...

I want to know do I cut off and go direct from the jack to the board with pins 1 & 3 or splice in leaving the original connection and just "tap in"?

Also this connection is different from the OP's and I just sent my car for paint so I don't have a way of testing which connection is for left & right speaker... Is it still the same 1 & 3? any help would be grateful! thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Typically it's pins 1 & 3 on the opposite site of the blue wire. You cut the 2 wires, giving you 4 ends which all go to the jack, the 5th pin on the jack going to ground
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

thanks jason! that really cleared it up for me! I appreciate your time and effort. I will do this right now since it's here on my desk and i'll post up as soon as I test it on my TA when i get it back from paint.. Thanks again!!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

good news Jason, it worked! I tested it on my neighbors camaro and it sounds great, unbelievably clean!!

thanks again!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the write up and trouble shooting... was able to do the mod almost completely without any hiccups!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Wow. Awesome write up! Worked perfect.. Spent $2.69 for the piece and $3 for a 3.5mm cable.. Jason.. You are the man!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Default Aux in using the rf module (radio signal)

I was successful in using the rf module, no cd or tape deck needed and tried to post a "How to" here. A moderator, WhiteBird00, edited my post for linking to another forum where I gave credit to a member that first wrote about it, and I removed my post. I wasnt even a member of that forum.

If you would like the info, PM me

Best Jimmy
Old 05-25-2013, 11:03 PM

Unhappy please help!

This is a great thread with lots of info but I cant for the life of me get this to work on one of my DELCO radios. I got it working on my 1989 Firebird radio cassette player, just cuts right over when I plug in the mp3 player. But I cant get it to work on my monsoon CD player from my 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. The radio has the 14 wires with the one black wire. I wired it as stated in this thread but no go. I put the CD in the player and then plug in my mp3, nothing. No sound, and eventually the CD spits out and the radio starts playing. I even tried reversing the wires for ping 2 though 5. Same thing, no sound from the mp3 player, CD eventually spits out.

I have read elsewhere that you should used the 4 and 5 wire, but that connection has 15 wires one being black, not 14 wires one being black as in this thread. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Your best is to probe the wires with headphones (or shorting) and look for the pins with audio. I know the stereos changed after 2002 so the wiring may be a bit different from the standard 4th gen variations. Haven't seen much in this thread about 02+ stereos but unless they started doing something sophisticated they should be analog audio being on the wires from the CD module to the main board
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

After the mod will the mod affect the sound from the cd head unit? My sound from the cd unit which I don't really use any more is tinney. The two most eq leavers on the left (bass) don't make a difference now. It is better w/ the ipod. I still like the mod but will an amp make a difference?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Launching!

No, the CD player won't affect the sound, the plugging in the jack mechanically disconnects the CD player audio and passes through the MP3 player
Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
After the mod will the mod affect the sound from the cd head unit? My sound from the cd unit which I don't really use any more is tinney. The two most eq leavers on the left (bass) don't make a difference now. It is better w/ the ipod. I still like the mod but will an amp make a difference?
You have a wire partially shorting, crossed up, or a bad jack
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies guys. There is no bleed thru when playing the ipod. When playing the cd unit w/o the ipod the sound is worse and the volume is medium not loud w/ very little base. Could I have a wire issue? Eq trebble buttons towards the right work but the bass buttons make no difference. How do I tell it is shorting? The Ipod sound has no static but there should be more range of sound. Thanks Brian.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM

Default 2002 Olds

Originally Posted by bheston
Incase anyone runs into the same stereo as my 2001 Impala, I wanted to post my solution. I had an electronics friend do some testing on both of the cables going into the CD player while the CD player was playing, and we figured out that the audio is on the 6 pin cable, NOT the 14 pin. Left speaker is the Black wire, let's call black wire Pin 1, Right speaker would be pin 3. In my picture the 6 pin cable is in the top left of the board, the black wire is on the right side of the connector.
Thanks Heston, my 2002 Olds AM/FM/CD/cassette deck had the same configuration as yours with a 14 pin as well as a 6 pin connector coming from the CD player. I originally did exactly the same thing you did and tied into the 14 pin connector. After coming across your posting, I switched the wires over to the 6 pin connector and tied into the black wire and the 3rd wire over as you suggested and it works flawlessly. I mounted the jack on the bezel piece that covers the radio. It was thicker plastic so had to thin it out with the Dremel so that the outer nut would fit on but it looks like a real factory fit!
As Jason Novak suggested I used an old CAT5 cable which turned out perfect for this and soldered (+ heat shrink) all connections.

For any Canadians out there the jack part # is 2740246, available at The Source. (they actually had it in stock at my local store)

Total Cost $2.99 + HST AWESOME!
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-jack.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-radio.jpg  

Last edited by gap1927; 05-31-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this today as per Jason's original post and worked the first time! I had my doubts because it took me awhile to understand how the wiring went (I'm terrible with electronics and wiring, but the diagram below helped alot. Yeah, I'm slow). But now that I did it, it was pretty easy. I wanted to be able to play the music from my iphone without buying a new CD player and this is perfect! Thanks Jason!
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-diagram.jpg  

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter