Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe 2005 with no XM

Hi WhiteBird00,
Took me some time to get this picture of the back of my radio.
Will this system be compatible without XM capabilitY?
Thanks again for the help
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_4715.jpg  
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The back of the head unit is not the critical factor in determining compatibility. As mentioned earlier, the critical factor is whether your head unit is XM capable. That doesn't mean that you must have the optional XM module installed, just that your HU is capable of having it installed. You tell that from the front face of the HU... if you have the Band/CD Aux button (as yours does) then the HU is XM capable.

The PIE GM12-AUX has been discontinued and is not available from most audio stores although you may be able to find it on ebay or craigslist. The PAC AAI-GM12 is still available but is the only one that requires the external XM module to be present for it to work - so it won't work for you.

Other options include the USASpec PA15-GM, the iSimple ISGM535 and the iSimple PXDXGM3.

It is possible that although your radio is XM capable, the port on the back has not been activated. If that is the case, a quick trip to the dealer can get it activated (the port can be activated without needing to sign up for a SiriusXM account or installing an XM module).
Old 03-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Dear WhiteBird00,
Thanks so much for the valuable and precise information.
I'll let everyone know as I progress.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my stock head unit apart and installed a "3.5mm Headphone Stereo Jack Socket Chassis Switch" It is a square 3.5mm headphone jack socket that will pass through stereo audio until a jack is plugged into it then it will pass on the new signal from the AUX cord. There have been a few that have done this in the past in various locations. I installed mine on the face of the head unit to the bottom right.

I tapped into the CD output signal to internal AMP. The way it works is I have to have the cd player running and I can bypass the audio mechanically when the aux jack is inserted. I use a bluetooth bullet adapter to link it to my phone.

Here is the part I used. (i used a different vendor years ago)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-3-5mm-He...IAAOxyFn9R5pCn

Edit: I apologise I didnt realize this was page 33 of the exact same thing.

Last edited by CamaroRick; 03-24-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Dear CamaroRick,
I cannot access the Ebay link due to "curious" Ebay restrictions.
Any pictures you could have made to explain how to?
Thanks all for the help
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is what I used. Got them from Radio Shack
Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Hey, just over 10 years since I first posted this thread and still going
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Good job! This is one of those things that has become known all over the internet so you really made a difference for a lot of people.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Thank you for the informative thread and keeping it alive for 10 years!!

I have searched and scanned through this thread and many others but have not been able to find information regarding adding an Aux input to a 95 Delco Bose Gold CD/Cassette. Has anyone tackled this unit? Any input to the correct RC LC wiring is appreciated, I took a guess based on later models but didn't want to just hack in and hope. Cheers, -Steve

Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Default modding head units w/ the ribbion style cable.

easiest way to mod those cables involves disassembling on old hard drive or flopppy drive cable. remove the connectors for said cable, cut the self tapping cable connectors to length needed, like 5 wiires in lenght, the use the cut connectot to tap into the pins 1 -5 on the head units cable.

this will make it easier to connect what ever you need and can be used to connect the aux jack that cuts CD signal when aux is plunged in!

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
I'm impressed you were able to mod the ribbon cable ... did you just cut the ribbon were needed and solder the wires to the board instead? Face plate installation looks good, I did that at first but didn't take into account how much the trim would cover and it was hard to plug in a cable, I'm using it in my grand am and it works great
​​​​
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Ok so I'm doing this mod on a CD player from a 2006 Pontiac with Delco CD player unit. Would the pins on the ribbon cable be the same? 1 and 3 from the left?

There are two ribbon cables coming from the CD unit. The 14 pin one and a smaller 6 pin cables behind it.

I have identified the black wire on the right as ground. I will run a CD and poke around the other pins to doublecheck L&R tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-2017-08-13-23.23.33.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-2017-08-13-23.21.48.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-14-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 AM

Ok, well I figured it out. I went in with earbuds and test leads and found the audio channels. Turns out they were in the smaller ribbon cable behind the bigger one. From the left, the black wire was left channel, next was ground and then right channel. Got everything spliced in and soldered/taped and works great. Running the 1/8" cable to the center armrest console to an iphone dock with line out, then a lightning cable extension to my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0268.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Is Sirius XM worth the money ?
Old 01-30-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
To me it is, but I drive well over 30k miles a year. It's nice to have variety and access to channels that don't change multiple times during my daily commute. I only pay about $70 a year though, I wouldn't pay full price.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Unfortunately, yes. I'm looking to getting it installed in a third car. Sucks paying for it but sucks even more not having it once you have.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes. I have a family account with it installed in 4 cars. I've had it for several years.

I love listening to Radio Classics station on long drives. Its old radio programs from the 40's & 50's (comedies, dramas, etc -- basically what was available before TV took over).

Other stations I listen to are 80's, Comedy, and Techno/Dace stations. Sometimes I hop around and try others.

Better quality audio than FM and most stations don't have commercials. I travel often for work and end up with various rental cars. Some have SiriusXM, some don't. When they don't, I channel surf during my commute to find something tolerable to listen to, which often only lasts a few minutes because then they go into a lengthy commercial break or the morning talk people come on gabbing away about something a celebrity did.

Last edited by VIP1; 01-31-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Connect through cassette harness?

I have an 02 suburban with a cassette located in the lower part of the center console and the bottom of the dash. Is there a way to tap in to the proper wiring to install the 3.5mm jack through the harness from the cassette player w/out disassembling the dash and removing/opening the factory head unit for surgery? My apologies if this has been covered I just didn't want to re-read the 33 pages of this totally awesome thread.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Hey guys. I have a 99 TA i dont have a cd changer in the back and im not sure if my stereo has the plug on the back or not. I will have a look in a few days when it comes out of storage. I do have the CD/Play button. I know its mentioned here but can someone just simplify what my options are for aux/mp3 input. From what i understand if i have the plug for cd changer in the back of HU than i can just get a harness of some sort, but if not i need to wire in a aux port some how. Please send me in right direction. Thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

All Monsoon head units have the plug and harness for the optional external CD changer even if they don't have the changer itself.

In order to use one of the plug-in auxiliary adapters you need a head unit capable of controlling the optional external CD changer (you don't actually need the changer just the capability to control it). All cassette head units always had that capability so if you have one of them then you can use a plug-in adapter.

The single CD head unit only got the capability of controlling the changer late in the 99 model year. So, if you have a 2000 or newer model you know it will work. If you have a single CD head unit in a 97 or 98 model then it will not work. The 99 model is the questionable one. If you already have the external changer then obviously your head unit can control it so it will work. But if you have a 99 single CD head unit and don't have a changer then your choices are to just try a plug-in adapter and hope that it works or open up the HU and check the circuit board markings. There is more information about this in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.

Of course, the modification described in this thread will work even if one of the plug-in adapters won't.
The following users liked this post:
prix57 (02-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 AM

Hi all,

Did this mod last summer, and just wanted to take the time thank people for all the information!
I have a 02 Z28 Convertible, and took the panel for the top control and installed the 3.5mm next to the switch.
It has made many a road trip, and just wanted to thank the original poster plus the people in the thread I pulled info from.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter