Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some tips

Great post, and a very durable one too ;-) This must be the longest thread I have seen in a while.
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I was wearing myself out trying to read all 20 pages. wow. So...
I and a colleague did this mod to my 98 TA in 2001. Both being EE's we thought it would be an easy thing to add to the car. However, we discovered that even a few feet of twisted pair wiring would still allow too much crosstalk for my finiky needs, so we replaced the twisted pairs with small gauge shielded coax (4 lines) and had no discernable crosstalk at all. Before doing that, my friend had a great idea to minimize it; and suggested I record a CD, with NO audio, to use as the enabling cd in the player. No audio=no crosstalk (or very little). Worked great but I still wanted to leave a normal music CD in the player so we swapped the cables anyway. Once again, sorry if this has already been discussed.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished soldering my "Novak Jack". Going out tothe car to see if it works! Please let it work.... lol
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neat. thanks for sharing
Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Works freaking perfectly. I almost peed myself because I was so happy.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

I just finished doing this mod earlier tonight, and the Mp3 input works perfectly, but when I unplug the AUX input, and my CD takes over, I only get sound on my passenger side of my 00' Camaro. I probably wont use my CD player much anymore, since I now have an MP3 input, but I would still like to have a CD to resort to if my ipod runs out of battery or something. Any ideas as to what would cause sound to only come from the passenger side?

Last edited by bobd1001; 12-04-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The obvious answer would be that there is a loose or broken connection for the left side audio signal from the changer. I can't really tell from the photos but I'm sure if you recheck your connections you'll find one that is not solid.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Thank you WhiteBird00, that does make sense.... would that have been the black, left-most wire on the pin layout? because I do remember pulling on it a little too hard to get some slack from under the board, and im thinking that may have snapped the wire somewhere inside its sleve.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The left channel is the one at the very end of the main board connector - the one connected to the blue wire in your photo.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Well I cracked open the case, and there was a little cut in the black left-most wire (I must have nicked it with my wire strippers). Cut out the damaged section, stripped the wire, and tested that it then had resistance with a cheap HF multimeter. everything looked good, soldered it up, and put it all back together. Everything now works perfectly! Its playing my iPod, and CD both flawlessly now!

Cant believe I waited this long to do this mod, its more than worth the $ and time

Thank you Jason for making this writeup!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I did this mod and i Love it..the only thing that i have a problem with is my theftlock now blinks kinda dim...anyone have any ideas? also i mounted the jack in the front of my radio.

-Buddy-
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_3962.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_3963.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just did mine and it works great with one exception. On a 500 mile trip recently at freeway speeds i would get an inteference buzz from the higher RPMS that could be heard on some quieter songs. Checked my chassis ground and it's good. Im going to replace my CAT 5 cable with some better shielded wire and see how it works.

Overall still very happy with this mod!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 AM

Yaaaay it works YAAAAAAAAY. THANK you Jason novak, and others for your helpful comments and advice on this thread

Should have known about cat 5 (idiot) i ended up using soem computer cables instead. The funny thing about this was it didnt work for a few hours afterward. The music was going crazy, first really quiet on one channel while blaring the other, then it would just sound like a weird echo. I thought i might have crossed the channels or something but then it came right overnight. I am so so happy with this. Thanks guys for your help xfrikkinD
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

where is everyone mounting their plug ins at? The side of the console?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Ok I have read through most of this thread and want to do this on my '06 Silverado. It has this HU.
http://replacementradios.com/popup_image.php?pID=101

I just did this mod a couple of days ago to my wife's Mazda 3, which has an aux button on the radio. What I did instead of tapping into any existing wires was to connect to the pins in the adapter plug on the back of the stereo for the aux item to plug into.

I followed this thread
http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspe...se-system.html

and was wondering if the same thing could be done on the Delco stereo. I don't have a separate cd player and this way of doing it on the Mazda works great. Instead of having an external cd player that you tap into to make the stereo switch to changer, you put a jumper on 2 pins out of the back of the stereo and then hook up your wires for the aux jack to the audio pins. Would the same thing work on the delco stereo? Could you just put a jumper between 2 of the 9 pins and then connect to the audio pins? If so, I think I could just hook up to the 4,5, & 6 pins for audio and com of the following pin out:

Pin-out of 9-pin AUX connector:
1. Battery Out - Orange
2. E & C Data - Darker Green
3. Ground Out - Black
4. Audio Com In - Light Brown
5. Left In - Orange w/ black stripe
6. Right In - Lighter Green
7. Voice + in - Bare w/ clear tubing
8. Dimming Out - Gray
9. R14 Out - Blue

But, the question remains, which 2 would then be jumped like what I did on the mazda? According to the mazda thread to trick stereo into switching to the AUX button, the ground pin and AUX pin (whatever the actual name is I don't know) are jumped and it works.

Can this same trick be applied to the Delco stereo instead of having to hook up a cd changer to tap into?

Thanks.

Last edited by longtalltechsan; 01-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by longtalltechsan
Ok I have read through most of this thread and want to do this on my '06 Silverado. It has this HU.
http://replacementradios.com/popup_image.php?pID=101

I just did this mod a couple of weeks ago to my wife's Mazda 3, which has an aux button on the radio. What I did instead of tapping into any existing wires was to connect to the pins in the adapter plug on the back of the stereo for the aux item to plug into.

I followed this thread
http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspe...se-system.html

and was wondering if the same thing could be done on the Delco stereo. I don't have a cd player and this way of doing it on the Mazda works great. Instead of having an external cd player that you tap into to make the stereo switch to changer, you put a jumper on 2 pins out of the back of the stereo and then hook up your wires for the aux jack to the audio pins. Would the same thing work on the delco stereo? Could you just put a jumper between 2 of the 9 pins and then connect to the audio pins? If so, I think I could just hook up to the 4,5, & 6 pins for audio and com of the following pin out:

Pin-out of 9-pin AUX connector:
1. Battery Out - Orange
2. E & C Data - Darker Green
3. Ground Out - Black
4. Audio Com In - Light Brown
5. Left In - Orange w/ black stripe
6. Right In - Lighter Green
7. Voice + in - Bare w/ clear tubing
8. Dimming Out - Gray
9. R14 Out - Blue

But, the question remains, which 2 would then be jumped like what I did on the mazda? According to the mazda thread to trick stereo into switching to the AUX button, the ground pin and AUX pin (whatever the actual name is I don't know) are jumped and it works.

Can this same trick be applied to the Delco stereo instead of having to hook up a cd changer to tap into?

Thanks.
its a great idea in theory but it will not work. its not as simple as shorting a pin
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Are you saying it won't work with the Delco stereo because of the way they are made or some reason like that or won't work at all with any stereo?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

pentavolvo is right. GM stereos require 2-way communication with an external CD changer before activating the auxiliary port. It's not a simple matter of just powering or grounding a circuit to fake the connection.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the explanation whitebird. Well that really sucks. I was hoping to go about this the easy way.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another "Novak" auxiliary mod success story here

I know many of you might believe in just upgrading your head unit for ~$150 to get the same input (along with bluetooth, usb, etc), but I actually prefer to keep the Monsoon as it's a reminder of how simple things used to be "back in the day." These cars are pretty rudimentary anyway -- and that's part of their charm, IMO. The only reason I actually felt it necessary to do this mod is because it beats keeping a bunch of CD's in the car for those long highway drives to various car shows/cruise-ins (I prefer only the sound of the LS1 for the beatings around town, though ). However, it's not my DD (nor am I an audiophile), so your preferences may vary.

As for the CD that's needed, I decided to burn a "CD of silence" specifically for this new function that I will permanently keep in the head unit. If anyone else is interested in doing such a thing, I found a plethora of different length silent/blank tracks here: http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Nice!

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter