Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, a silent CD is the best way to prevent bleed-through and that looks like a good resource

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Another "Novak" auxiliary mod success story here

I know many of you might believe in just upgrading your head unit for ~$150 to get the same input (along with bluetooth, usb, etc), but I actually prefer to keep the Monsoon as it's a reminder of how simple things used to be "back in the day." These cars are pretty rudimentary anyway -- and that's part of their charm, IMO. The only reason I actually felt it necessary to do this mod is because it beats keeping a bunch of CD's in the car for those long highway drives to various car shows/cruise-ins (I prefer only the sound of the LS1 for the beatings around town, though ). However, it's not my DD (nor am I an audiophile), so your preferences may vary.

As for the CD that's needed, I decided to burn a "CD of silence" specifically for this new function that I will permanently keep in the head unit. If anyone else is interested in doing such a thing, I found a plethora of different length silent/blank tracks here: http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html
Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Another "Novak" auxiliary mod success story here
As for the CD that's needed, I decided to burn a "CD of silence" specifically for this new function that I will permanently keep in the head unit. If anyone else is interested in doing such a thing, I found a plethora of different length silent/blank tracks here: http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html
I would be interested in buying a silent CD if your willing to sell one. Im pretty computer unfriendly and would end up just frustrating myself.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

THANK YOU ! This worked FLAWLESSLY

Name:  MP3inputFeb20125.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  128.5 KB

~DaVe
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

I installed everything as per the original post in my 2000 Trans-Am & every thing worked fine EXCEPT.... The light on my radio went out.... Any ideas what I might have done wrong, or how I may fix this?... Thanks.

-Tony
Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Probably just a coincidence. These radios burn out bulbs all the time. you can take it back apart and replace burned out ones. Unless you are saying they ALL went out.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Launching!

just did this last night took about a hour works great and sounds clear thanks for the info
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

So just to make sure before I dig into the dash this weekend, my '01 pontiac monsoon unit should look similar to the one originally posted (ie no ribbon wires, etc)?

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 03-19-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
So just to make sure before I dig into the dash this weekend, my '01 pontiac monsoon unit should look similar to the one originally posted (ie no ribbon wires, etc)?
CORRECT ! Should look like this:

Name:  DeckFeb2012.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  168.6 KB

~DaVe
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Launching!

K thank you sir, just wanted to make sure before i took it apart..
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Was just wondering if anyone tried to do this mod to the cd changer in the back instead of taking out the head unit? It would be the same idea if i'm correct just hook up the right and left audio inputs from the harness on the cd changer?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Launching!

If you actually have a CD changer then I believe you can by tapping into it's harness. The changer actually needs to pass data to the HU or else it ignores the audio. There is a link to another thread somewhere in this thread with more details
Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BumpaD_Z28
CORRECT ! Should look like this:

~DaVe
K thank you sir, just wanted to make sure before i took it apart..
Well damn, I took it apart today and unfortuantely it looks like this.. Just like post # 321 by 2001GTPJOE.. I havent seen a firm answer as to whether or not you can add it to this HU. Any suggestions or am I SOL?

From what I can tell by quickly looking at it, there are pin connections coming from the CD player, instead of wires. In the last picture, you can see 4 orange female recivers at the very bottom of the picture. These plug into the pins that can be seen at the bottom of the HU. Do these replace the wire harness that is usually spliced into?

Name:  DSC00445.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  DSC00447.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  DSC00449.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  122.5 KB

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 03-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Can you tell how the electrical connection is being made to the faceplate? If you look in post #5 the red/blue harness goes into the faceplate for the buttons/etc. It appears both of the cables on your main board are going directly in the CD module? One of them must have audio if they're the only one. May be worthwhile trying the headphone paper-clip probe on that cable, trying pins 1 & 3 first - I'd try the red cable first. I have seen audio on that cable before, though not in the exact same configuration.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanks worked like a charm!

I placed the input jack on the actual face of the HU. Here are some pictures of the process:

Cut and remove the plastic tab on the corner:

Make sure to mark the outline of the bezel before removing the radio:

Smooth out the cut plastic with a dremel, mark the hole by applying some whiteout on the connector then quickly pressing it on where you and it to go. Make sure it is outside of the bezel area on the other side.

Solder the leads neatly in a direction that is most comfortable to take the cables:

The hole:

A bit of crazy glue helps hold it there:

Looking great:

Not necessary if you are afraid of doing this but using a dremel i shaved a bit of the board off because the connector is slightly taller than the space available and there is a screw post right next to it. It not dangerous because there arent any circuits on that corner of the board:

Butting the board back on:

Final:

Cables neat:

Face back on and you can finish the inside:

I did this on both my 99 Camaro and 2004 Corvette Z06, both had the exact same setup inside. Looks like it was factory built in.

Thanks for the help Jason!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Cleanest install I've seen yet! Nice Job.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Nice job ... looks like you learned from my mistake and made sure to account for the amount the head unit was covered by the trim when putting in the jack

[QUOTE=ivan84gt;16119334]Thanks worked like a charm!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Can you tell how the electrical connection is being made to the faceplate? If you look in post #5 the red/blue harness goes into the faceplate for the buttons/etc. It appears both of the cables on your main board are going directly in the CD module? One of them must have audio if they're the only one. May be worthwhile trying the headphone paper-clip probe on that cable, trying pins 1 & 3 first - I'd try the red cable first. I have seen audio on that cable before, though not in the exact same configuration.
Unfortunately I wont have time to dig into it again for another few weeks, but from what I rememeber, the only other direct connection to the faceplate were the pins I mentioned above.. I am guessing that this might be the electrical connection, but there is not audio being passed through these pins, so you are probably right that its passed through 1 of the 2 wire harnesses.

I was just hoping somebody arleady came across this same problem and figured out an audio source.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone bought one of the aux input Monsoon HUs off ebay? I'm usually all for doing my own work, but my CD player is inop on my current HU, so I'd have to buy one anyways. Looks like there's a guy selling them for $119, which isn't bad considering I'd have to pay $75-$100 for a stock one in decent condition anyways.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Anyone bought one of the aux input Monsoon HUs off ebay? I'm usually all for doing my own work, but my CD player is inop on my current HU, so I'd have to buy one anyways. Looks like there's a guy selling them for $119, which isn't bad considering I'd have to pay $75-$100 for a stock one in decent condition anyways.
Whats the sellers name, I would be interested in looking at that, did he have any non-monsoon HU's?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt have time to read thru the whole thread. but i swear there used to be a company that sold oem style radios with an aux port. it was exactly the same but on the screen where it says delco it said the name of the company. any ideas?

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter