Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

write up: hi and low beams on same time

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That doesn't sound right. I think some smoke and a popped fuse are in your future.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
That doesn't sound right. I think some smoke and a popped fuse are in your future.
It has the same effect as soldering another wire between the two.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Not if you used the red one pictured... it has the effect of cutting many of the strands in the wire because it is designed for 18-22 gauge wire and the headlight wires are 14 gauge. That causes increased resistance and heat. You should have used a blue connector (14-16 gauge).
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not if you used the red one pictured... it has the effect of cutting many of the strands in the wire because it is designed for 18-22 gauge wire and the headlight wires are 14 gauge. That causes increased resistance and heat. You should have used a blue connector (14-16 gauge).
I used a yellow one rated for 10-12 gauge wire. The red one is just a random picture from Google I used...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlights

i have a 02 ws6 that was manufactured in canada and my low beams have always shut off when turning the highs on. i have always wondered why the lows shut off.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

All fourth generation F-bodies (93-02 Camaros and Firebirds) were built in Canada at the St. Therese plant near Montreal.

If what you say is true, you have a unique one-of-a-kind car since all 98-02 Firebirds, whether US spec or Canadian spec, illuminated all four headlamps when the high beams were on. If you are not the original owner of the vehicle, it would be safe to assume that a previous owner changed the wiring.

The difference between Camaro and Firebird headlight wiring is at the high beam switch. The Firebird switch turns the high beam circuit on and off without having any connection to the low beam circuit so they remain on. The Camaro switch toggles between low beam and high beam so the low beams turn off when the high beams turn on. The switch itself is the same but the low beam connector on a Firebird switch is empty because the low beam wiring doesn't go through the switch.

The only difference between a Canadian spec and US spec Firebird headlights is the addition of the photo-sensor in the dash to activate the automatic headlights in Canadian spec models. You can add the $20 photo-sensor to a US model (it plugs right in) and get automatic headlights with no other wiring necessary. I did that on mine until I found the headlight doors opening and closing all the time became annoying... start the car in the garage, the headlights pop up, back out to the street, the headlights close again. It was even more annoying going under overpasses so I unplugged the sensor and put the original jumper wire back in place.

Quick Reply: write up: hi and low beams on same time