Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stereo install from a bird to a trans am, need help general ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stereo install from a bird to a trans am, need help general ?s

I am selling my 99 firebird and removing the system:
Alpine CDA-9815 head unit
4x alpine type R 6.5" speakers (tweeter inside, only 2 wires each;built in passsive xover)
Amp/sub (I know what to do with these)

My questions are:
1)Since I now have to deal with the monsoon amp being in btw the head unit and speakers, how should I go about adding these items?

2)I had a wiring harness from the alpine to the V6 (non monsoon) system, is this different from the monsoon variation hookups to the head unit?

3)And will the speakers hook right up to the existing wires? I think the rears will, but how should I deal with the front having separate tweeters.wires?

4)Will the moonsoon be able to handle my alpine's 60x4 output?

5)And I think the alpine has an input wire for steering wheel controls, will this hook right up and work?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the rears have the same 2 wires as the firebird did, and I just hooked up the speakers fine. However how should I deal with the fronts having separate tweeters? And can the monsoon handle the 60x4 alpine output?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you only have two wires at the sail panels of a T/A or Firebird then it is a non-Monsoon system or it's been rewired. The Firebird Monsoon has DVC (four wire) subs in the sail panels. Also the signal from the Monsoon amp is low-pass filtered so you will get nothing but bass from those locations (again, unless rewired).

2 - the Monsoon head unit is just an ordinary Delco unit - the same adapter harness will work.

3 - You can modify the Alpine speakers to work as components by cutting and splicing the tweeter wires at the speaker terminals.

4 - Not sure. Certainly up to about 2/3 volume it will be okay but beyond that you're on your own.

5 - You'll need an adapter called a SWI-ALP to connect the Alpine remote input to the factory steering wheel controls.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My rear speakers by the back seats only have two wires going to them, is this correct? Those tiny speakers in the hatch look to have two sets but I am not sure I will even use those. And how will the alpine'e 60x4 be distributed now going to 10 speakers?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
My rear speakers by the back seats only have two wires going to them, is this correct? Those tiny speakers in the hatch look to have two sets but I am not sure I will even use those. And how will the alpine'e 60x4 be distributed now going to 10 speakers?
No, if it's a Monsoon system then the sail panel speakers are dual voice coil (DVC) subs so they each have four wires. The hatch speakers are separate mid and tweeter so you have pairs of wires for each. The tweeters (both in the hatch area and in the doors) are powered directly from the head unit but all the rest are powered by the Monsoon amp.

You have 10 "speakers" (actually speaker elements) but only six locations. The tweeters and mids in the door will combine on one channel. Same with the hatch speakers if you keep them but if you're putting full range speakers in the sail panels (such as coaxials) then I would recommend just leaving the hatch speakers disconnected. They won't add anything back there that wouldn't be handled by the sail panel speakers. That way you only have four channels - doors and sail panels.