Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how do 10" subs sound, what one to get??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
I love my 10" infinity enclosed in the side t-top compartment
lol ok but how do they sound lol
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

For what its worth i just recently heard..

2-10"Memphis M3's Ported Metered on TL @ 133.5
1-10" Kicker L5 Sealed Meter @ 135

All Prefab Boxs..

Without Numbers LOUD of course is a matter of opinion
Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
For the record, I'd rather have someone give me an opinion on something they've actually heard rather than something a friend told them was good or they saw on a commercial or something. Advice is all relative.
Yes, advice is all relative, relative to that person's knowledge and experience. As you probably know, most people don't know a damn thing about car audio, but still recommend their mediocre equipment.

It's normal, everyone does it... I just laugh

ghost_ride - you CAN get deep bass out of a 10, but it is hard to do in a stealth box. You need the right 10, like the one I suggested
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thosewhohatedmecreat
i recently put a MTX 9500 10" in a ford truck, custom box, its loud, but not anything like a 12, )
I can tell already you don't know what the **** youre talking about.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Teching In

As others have said, you *can* get fairly deep bass out of a 10 (hard to give an exact figure since Freq range, power handling, sensitivity, type/size of enclosure etc. vary dramatically from speaker to speaker). But given otherwise equivalent drivers, mounted in boxes of sufficient volume (12" will need more air) and driven by a matching amps, a 12" sub will produce higher volumes at lower sub-bass frequencies than a 10, just as 10" will produce higher spl than an 8", on average.

For instance, I have dual 8" "subs" in in my multimedia speaker system (Klipsch Promedia 4.1), and they do a fairly reasonable job for being undersized bass drivers. Throw a 40 Hz test tone at them and they hit fairly well. A 30 cycle tone and I can't even hear them, however. The reason of course is that 8" drivers usually roll-off well before (numerically above) 30 Hz. They're simply too small to move that much air in sufficient volume at that low of a frequency. My 12" infinities do much better that low, but with a 20 Hz test tone run through them (most humans cannot "hear" anything below this range), again they go nearly silent (though they work the suspension for every mm of travel while trying). Pump that same tone through my 15" Velodyne HT subwoofer, and watch the pictures fall off the wall

It's simply a matter of "how low you wanna go." Bass isn't all that "musical" at very low frequencies, but it can give your tracks a depth and impact that is simply not possible without dedicated sub-bass drivers. Personally, I love the sound/feel of deep, sub-bass frequencies. I have yet to hear a 10" that supplies enough bass to satisfy my preferences, though my expertise is in HT and not car audio. I have no reason to doubt the fellas on this board who tell you that a really good 10" in a box of sufficient volume can do the trick in our hatchbacks. I have heard a few car setups that use 10"s (the guy who sold me my amp had 3 10" W3s in the back of his Jetta), and some have been fairly impressive. But at the end of the day, I've consistently been disappointed with the the low freq. extension of the 10" set-ups I've heard. That's why I refuse to go lower than 12"s, but to each his own

Originally Posted by ghost_ride_the_whip
so are people saying u can't get really deep bass out of 10's??
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A high excursion 10 will be able to play low frequencies great, especially with the awesome cabin gain we have in our cars. That is why I suggested the TC Sounds OEM10, it has 28mm of xmax. There is not another 10" speaker with more excursion at that price that will work perfectly in that box. I don't even think there is another 10 that will work perfectly in that box with more excursion at any price.

Home theater subs are in big rooms and need big cone area and big boxes to produce the low bass. HT and car audio have their similarities, but producing bass is not one of them.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

I have an MTX box stuck off in the compartment that the disc changer was originally in and its plenty for me, out of the way of the T-tops, and sounds nice

-Will
Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Teching In

I just got a Boston Acoustic G5 10" and it's running off a Crunch 250.2 amp in a temporary box sitting in the t-top storage. The bass this sub produces is insane. There are some songs that I basically go deaf because of it, not that it is necessarily a good thing, but I have to be concious of the volume level and what track of the CD I'm on. The HU subwoofer boost is always at 2 because more than that is too much, except on the freeway doing 75mph with the t-tops off, I boost it up to 8-10 and it plays over the loss of the condition. The best thing about this sub is the volume required from a box, a sealed enclosure as recommended by Boston is 0.5 cubic feet, which is perfect for a stealth box. The last set up I used in another car was two JL 12W3's off a 500/1 and this one sub is more powerful. This sub does cost 275-300 depending on where you go, but it is definately worth it, and only a little more than you were looking to spend. If you live in the Bay Area we could meet up so you could here it.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Launching!

lol so far i can't decide on 10" or 12" i can't really know till i hear it really, i know my friend has to 10 inch mtx's which sound ok but they are pretty weak, but there only $100
subs, if i got a subs thats around 250 probably sound way better. hmmmm the only things thats preventing ne from doing to 12's is the t-tops lol
i already have a 12" jbl p1224 just sitting here
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by witHonor
I just got a Boston Acoustic G5 10" and it's running off a Crunch 250.2 amp in a temporary box sitting in the t-top storage. The bass this sub produces is insane. There are some songs that I basically go deaf because of it, not that it is necessarily a good thing, but I have to be concious of the volume level and what track of the CD I'm on.

Thats the biggest exaggeration I've heard all month! If you go deaf from a 10 powered by that junk amp, I think you have other problems you should be concerned about.

The HU subwoofer boost is always at 2 because more than that is too much, except on the freeway doing 75mph with the t-tops off, I boost it up to 8-10 and it plays over the loss of the condition.
That is an excellent way to blow your sub.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
A high excursion 10 will be able to play low frequencies great, especially with the awesome cabin gain we have in our cars. That is why I suggested the TC Sounds OEM10, it has 28mm of xmax. There is not another 10" speaker with more excursion at that price that will work perfectly in that box. I don't even think there is another 10 that will work perfectly in that box with more excursion at any price.
After checking the specs on that sub..I'd have to agree...the specs on that sub are outrageous for a 10". Even the RE Audio's SE's I have only have 18mm of excursion. The SX's have 22mm. Although the SX's are for ported enclosures so that eliminates the stealth enclosure. Wish I would've seen those before!!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

TC Sounds OEM10 is an awesome deal!

Ported:
0.5-0.6 cubic feet with a single 10"

i could run 8 of those bad boys
Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't really run those ported though. The port wouldn't fit in the box lol. They're best sealed or with a passive radiator.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95bat
Thats the biggest exaggeration I've heard all month! If you go deaf from a 10 powered by that junk amp, I think you have other problems you should be concerned about.
One question... Have you heard it...? Okay.

I don't exaggerate. And yes, it is a junk amp. Thank you for your concerns.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One question... Have you heard it...? Okay.

I don't exaggerate. And yes, it is a junk amp. Thank you for your concerns.
I don't have to hear it to know you're full of it.

If your sub makes you go deaf, my V6 runs 7's in the 1/4 mile. OMG HAVE YOU SEEN MY CAR? Okay.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

not everyone has the same tolerance for sound. He very may well think he is going deaf from music most of us would think is weak or low. I know people get in my car all the time and think wow you need to turn this down im going deaf etc, and yet its only like on 16-18. Where I would normally jam to it around 21-22. So I dont know.

Im sure it prolly sounds decent. But I do think you have it WAY under powered and it could probably get MUCH louder.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
not everyone has the same tolerance for sound. He very may well think he is going deaf from music most of us would think is weak or low. I know people get in my car all the time and think wow you need to turn this down im going deaf etc, and yet its only like on 16-18. Where I would normally jam to it around 21-22. So I dont know.

Im sure it prolly sounds decent. But I do think you have it WAY under powered and it could probably get MUCH louder.
Much louder!? No way! He's got bass boost on 10, it doesn't get louder than that!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ghost_ride_the_whip
so are people saying u can't get really deep bass out of 10's??

Thats like saying a v6 cant be fast.

Of course you can get deep bass out of a 10. Just have to lower the VAS which is done by the box.

Go with the manufactures recommendations for the lowest roll-off which is usually a sealed application.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

since we jumped to the subject of boxes...anyone on here own a ttop box from subthumps? if so i would greatly appreciate some pictures and anything else you can offer. i've been wanting subs to go with my mtx sidewall's and door speakers...just didn't want to jump the gun on the box and it be all screwed up. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like 10s over 12's. 10s are just more responsive. I had 2 JL 10" W0s in my old camaro. sounded awesome.