Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Please post your audio set up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please post your audio set up?

Trying to get some ideas on what to replace my factory speakers with? I plan to do a sub in the compartment of the trunk, (the small space on the driver side trunk) along with a couple of amps and a crossover. For now, I will just be replacing the doors and rear seats. The buddy thats doing all the installation says not to worry about the rear "subs" because theyre not worth replacing? What are your thougths on that? Do they make good replacements for those? I believe theyre 4" subs? Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

Default Re: Please post your audio set up?

I was looking at the Stereo and Electronics page and I noticed that there are none to a few replies on each thread of each page. Whats up with that? Everone seems to be very helpful in every other section of the site, but for some reason not this one. I posted this thread a while back and no one has replied to it yet. Im just trying to get some ideas on what to replace my factory speakers with, not to bother anyone. Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine the reply count on this type of question is because there are so many choices of speaker brands to choose from. I'm not sure about others in here, but I don't want to start a "what's the best brand name" war. It sounds like you want to keep it pretty simple. You're freind is right about the very back speakers, they're worthless. Replace the doors & sail panels with any 6 1/2 you like. www.subthump.com makes the best camaro boxes I have ever seen (compared to qform, myx, & jl audio. They can solve your subwoofer issue. You can fit a decent four cahnnel amp and a decent sub amp all on top of your spare tire. There is a start for you. Also to get more replies post an idea of your budget. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club NA

I do appreciate what you have given me. You helped out more than you think. Im not sure on a budget at the moment, but Im sure anything would help. If you could, just list some various speakers, going from least expensive to most, that I could replace the doors and rear seats. I know already what amp, sub, and crossover I will be using. (PPI, JL Audio, and XM3) What do you think of those brands? Are they good? Im not sure who makes the XM3, but my buddy says its a good one. Im probably gonna get a 10" W3 because the 10" W7 wont work right in that space I mentioned and the 8" is lots more expensive than the 10" W3 and that will probably out do the 8". Now I just need to figure out what to replace the doors and rear seats with. This is where I need help. Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 08:34 PM
!Dial-up Director

here is my setup
http://www.fryrice.com/stereo.htm
my preference for 6.5 components would be Focals, a little pricey but they are well worth the money. You can find a new set of 165k2s on ebay for around $300.

Justin
Old 05-18-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

this is what my final setup will be....its still in the works ($$$ is holding it back for now...)

Panisonic head unit (5 pre amp outputs) (have)

2 V12, 5 channel amps: (have)

amp 1:
channels 1-4 for front (2 sets of mids/tweets..one in doors....one in kicks...)
channel 5 for one voice coil of sub

amp 2:
channel 1/2 is for speaker in defrost vent (bridged center)
channel 3/4 is for the rears but its almost off (faded to about 90% front/10% rear...just to give a little "size")
chennel 5 is for the other voice coil on the sub

speakers:

rockford fosgate 6.5" components in the door (have)

rockford fosgate 5.5" components in kicks (pending)

4x6 center channel speaker in defrost vent with two tweeters (have)

duel voice coil 10" sub in drivers side (pending)

so far, I am using the factory subs in the side pannels to give a little added bass (the 5th channel on amp 2 is running them). Its not the best but its a hell of a lot better than the car sounded stock. The 6" subs (by the rear seats) and the rear speakers are stock (no need to replace since they are not really even used).

Its a work in progress.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never heard of xm3 before, but jl audio & ppi are very good brands. IMHO, I truly believe you can't beat focal for mid/highs. They're expensive though. I haven't dealt with anything other than focal in that department for over 6 years, so I have no other opinions on mids. Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My custom made boxes . System: Alpine 7894 HU, Infinity 652i speakers, MTX 6500D Amp, Alpine type-R.

Old 05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Next time you post those pics I'll be expecting a write up :p

-Andy
Old 05-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you post those pics I'll be expecting a write up :p

-Andy
Hehe, don't worry. I haven't forgotten about the write-up :p. I just finished writting a 15 page paper, so you can see I've been busy. Possibly next week I'll be able to have it done for ya. Or at least the genral idea of how everything was built.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

I have yet to work on the Z, but in my V6 I have cleared out the stock stereo equipment. I have a pioneer head unit (DEH-P77DH), MTX2150 amp driving an Infinity 12" sub (old green style). I have also replaced all the factory speakers with Infinity speakers (also the old green style). I have a custom made box for the 12" sub that sits in the trunk. I am not done, but I plan on moving all the parts over to the Z28 and finishing it all up. I am going to replace the rear hatch area panels (left & right) when I finish up my new center console. I will probably make these new panels house 6 1/2" or 6" speakers to get rid of the tiny ones. At some point I plan on putting speakers just above the rear seats, up by the hatch glass, in the roof upholstery...maybe this is where the 4" speakers will goto....

Joe
Old 05-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Here is my setup.. I am takeing it apart to refinish it sometime here in the near future..
Old 05-25-2003, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Here is mine. Simple and invisible. I wanted to keep the stock head unit and CD changer and I didn't want to loose my spare or any cargo space. This meant that I couldn't run a typical sub/box combo. So we glassed in the rear seat 6 1/2" speaker holes to make an enclosure and are using 6.5" JL subs. It's not a boomer system for sure but that wasn't what I was after. The inside of the car looks 100% stock.

Old 05-25-2003, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got a super simple setup but it sounds great! Cost me less than $1000 CDN too (less than $750 US)

It starts with a basic Pioneer CD player and has a PPI Sedona 25x2 amp driving a pair of 6" Kenwood midrange in the doors and tweeters up near the corner of the door behind the side mirrors. Excellent sound imaging from this setup!

Then out back I've got an Orion 222sx "cheater amp" driving a pair of 6.5" Kenwood subs in the stock locations. It's setup 2ohms mono so this 44wt amp is actually putting out about 160-180watts. It's got super tight bass, very nice!

I've also got a poweracoustik 3 way electronic crossover. All the wiring is top notch stuff.

I saved $$$ by getting the amps and crossover used. Everything is hidden from view, with the amps and crossover in the very rear of the hatch behind the carpeting.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's mine (got some of it and some is waiting)
Alpine CDA-7897
Kicker 6.5" Resolution Components (Doors)
Kicker 6.5" MidRange in the Sail (waiting to go in)
(2) Kicker Solo Baric 15"s (waiting to go in)
1-Kicker ZR1000 Amp to drive the subs(waiting to go in)
1-Kicker ZX460 Amp to drive the mids and highs (waiting to go in)
Optima Yellow Top
All EFX fuse panels and wiring
Old 05-25-2003, 11:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

This system is on my Truck but it can easily be put in an F-bod.

System X:

Pioneer Deh-P8400MP (Just swapped out an Eclipse unit)
Audio Control 4.1 (1/2din EQ)
Diamond Audio Hex 6.5"s (Doors)
JL Audio XR525-CX (rear doors)
JL Audio 300/4 (75wx4)
JL Audio 500/1 (500x1)
2 Eclipse Aluminum 12's
2 Stinger 1Farad caps
2 Vantage Stealth-Box truck enclosures
Laptop hooked up through Auxilary input for DVD action

I had an almost identical systemn in the T/A except I had the Eclipse DVD unit but took it out for weight savings
Old 05-25-2003, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Here's mine (got some of it and some is waiting)
Alpine CDA-7897
Kicker 6.5" Resolution Components (Doors)
Kicker 6.5" MidRange in the Sail (waiting to go in)
(2) Kicker Solo Baric 15"s (waiting to go in)
1-Kicker ZR1000 Amp to drive the subs(waiting to go in)
1-Kicker ZX460 Amp to drive the mids and highs (waiting to go in)
Optima Yellow Top
All EFX fuse panels and wiring

Cannibal, how do you like your Resolution separates? Are they sweet sounding in your car? Where did you mount the tweeters?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I secound the Focals but go with the utopia's
Just totaled the other car.
Had and eclipse DVD player custom molded out of fiberglass painted chameleon. Eclipe 7 inch tv were th deck and A/C was. A/C moved to the glove box and three sets of Diamond hex 4's across the dash for dolby 5.1 dynaudio 5's in sealed enclosures in the doors. 6 1/2 diamond coax's in the rear 5 eclipse amps. 3 sub amps to ower each eclipse alum. 12 and the whole hatch one solid piece of fiberglass. 15 farad cap. 1/0 wire and an optima
heres a pic of the old set up

Old 05-25-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cannibal, how do you like your Resolution separates? Are they sweet sounding in your car? Where did you mount the tweeters?

The Kicker Resolution tweets sound awesome. I have always been a Kicker fan (more so of their old amps, etc) but their new Resolution sets are even better than the old. I mounted the tweets in the stock tweeter location that the T/A's have but I honestly think tha they'd do better in say the spot where the side mirrors are, it'd definately raise the soundstage up. I love them man. Put good, clean power to them and they're killer.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is mine