Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6x9 vs 10"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9 vs 10"

I want to add some bass to my car.(A decent amount) I am trying to decide what would be better. A 10" subthump or two 6x9's just behind the rear seats. The kind of music I listen too is rock from Zeppelin to Rob Zombie so I want to emphasize that kind of bass.

Also I have two channels availible on my amp. 65x2 @4ohm or 150x2 @2ohm,or 150x1 @4ohm bridged. So if anyone has any suggestions for speakers for my power.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from 6x9's. Those are old school tech and a waste of time if you are trying to acheive a good sounding system. A 10" sub in some sort of stealth enclosure would do you fine. Especially with an amp thats 2ohm stable. I listen to the same music you do. Here's what you do...get a sub with dual 4ohm voice coils. Then you wire it in parallel. Meaning wire neg to neg. and pos. to pos. This makes the amp see a 2ohm load. This would bring your amp to in the neighborhood of 300watts @ 2ohms. More than enough for a moderate level sub that would give you good thumping bass for kick drum and then some. A 6x9 will not give that to you and it won't fit in the hatch area anyway without alot of modification. I know it looks like it fits. It doesn't. Plus there is nothing there to attach it to. Oval speakers are not good for accurate sound reproduction. Anytime I run into these I use an adapter plate that allows the use of a 6.5" round speaker. Assuming the customer allows me to do my job correctly. LOL!! If you need a sub I can get you one inexpensively that is of good quality brand new. PM me if your interested!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Stay away from 6x9's. Those are old school tech and a waste of time if you are trying to acheive a good sounding system. A 10" sub in some sort of stealth enclosure would do you fine. Especially with an amp thats 2ohm stable. I listen to the same music you do. Here's what you do...get a sub with dual 4ohm voice coils. Then you wire it in parallel. Meaning wire neg to neg. and pos. to pos. This makes the amp see a 2ohm load. This would bring your amp to in the neighborhood of 300watts @ 2ohms. More than enough for a moderate level sub that would give you good thumping bass for kick drum and then some. A 6x9 will not give that to you and it won't fit in the hatch area anyway without alot of modification. I know it looks like it fits. It doesn't. Plus there is nothing there to attach it to. Oval speakers are not good for accurate sound reproduction. Anytime I run into these I use an adapter plate that allows the use of a 6.5" round speaker. Assuming the customer allows me to do my job correctly. LOL!! If you need a sub I can get you one inexpensively that is of good quality brand new. PM me if your interested!!
This man can get some killa deals!! And he knows his ****.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Because of the amplifier he has, I'd think he'd be better of with dual 2 ohm voice coils instead of dual 4s. He can either drive 2 at 150 Watts with 2 ohms or he can drive 1 at 150 Watts with 4 ohms. If he does dual 4s, he'll wire it up as a single 2 and get a total of 150 watts. If he gets dual 2s, he can wire them independently and get 300 watts. Just make sure your amp can put out a mono signal on that pair of channels.